It won't be stuff like Guiding Light. That song is clearly meant for a stadium - it's too 'big' to be played at smaller gigs.

He's already done 3 OTT love songs in the space of a year...I highly doubt he'd continue with material identical to that. Just because The Resistance 'era' brought with it some bombastic love ballads, doesn't mean that those songs solely represent how Matt expresses 'personal' themes. EVERY album is different.

I don't get why people think that the direction they took in The Resistance is the future for muse...they've never really stuck to one thing, that's why they're labelled as 'ambitious'. So why are we making assumptions about the next album?

It won't be stuff like Guiding Light. That song is clearly meant for a stadium - it's too 'big' to be played at smaller gigs.

He's already done 3 OTT love songs in the space of a year...I highly doubt he'd continue with material identical to that. Just because The Resistance 'era' brought with it some bombastic love ballads, doesn't mean that those songs solely represent how Matt expresses 'personal' themes. EVERY album is different.

I don't get why people think that the direction they took in The Resistance is the future for muse...they've never really stuck to one thing, that's why they're labelled as 'ambitious'. So why are we making assumptions about the next album?

Matt writing ballads isn't really something that started with TR, or even BH&R.

ITA with everything you've said :happy:

So now you know why people associate personal with ballads, because Matt Bellamy is the songwriter.

Wasn't that hard now was it?

Maybe I need to listen to Muse's discography again because I was quite sure that they had personal songs that were not ballads :erm::LOL:

Matt writing ballads isn't really something that started with TR, or even BH&R.

Oh yes, yet back then, people didn't seem to be as dubious/cynical about forthcoming albums. Everyone seemed so excited before TR came out and it seemed to go down pretty well on the whole. But 2/11 duff songs and some....interesting....choices for setlists this year, seems to have thrown the fanbase completely and made them doubt the continuance of Muse's writing abilities.

MOTP, Shine, Eternally Missed, Hyperchondriac Music, Bliss and Darkshines are all prime examples of what they are capable of, regarding GOOD personal songs.

The COULD potentially do something great. It's just yet to be seen whether they will or not. :)

Maybe I need to listen to Muse's discography again because I was quite sure that they had personal songs that were not ballads :erm::LOL:

And still, the point is that nowadays, almost all of Matts personal songs have been ballads of OTT. Therefore people are not expecting Matt to suddenly start writing songs like he did 10 years ago.

But then, I have no doubt that Matt is able to write songs like MK Ultra or Unnatural Selection with a more personal touch, but fact is, Matt is not knows for being able to write love songs without being cheesy(Most of his personal songs have been songs about other feelings than love, and something tells me Matt isn't going to suddenly start writing about hate and angst)

To make my point more clear, Matt CAN write awesome personal stuff, most of Muse's best songs are the personal ones imo. But songs about love on the other hand, he hasn't really shown that he can do that without drowning it in cheese. And considering what Matt has wrote in the last years, love songs is probably what we'll get.

Everytime I see "Muse considering playing...", I keep thinking the article is something like "Guiding Light" or "Neutron Star Collision" :supersad:

...why? That's not really what I automatically assume when I first see the article, so I'm just curious how you came up with it. Like people have said before, I feel Guiding Light and NSC are songs that are completely the opposite of what he is talking about here.

...why? That's not really what I automatically assume when I first see the article, so I'm just curious how you came up with it. Like people have said before, I feel Guiding Light and NSC are songs that are completely the opposite of what he is talking about here.

Oh, I meant to say that's what I see when I see half the thread title on the main page, sorry :LOL:

On the subject of intimacy (was just thinking about it on the acoustic thread, but acoustic gig petition thread pointless so better posted on here) I was thinking about the difference between RBS and NSC when it came up in discussion about the Wembley gigs. I know they're totally different and different subjects etc but both piano based songs.

What occurred to me is that NSC is an intimate song which has been interpreted for a stadium audience, which I think is where you get the cheese that people complain about. Thus it's really about a relationship between two people (has some beautiful emotional piano pieces incidentally) but performed in such a way that (if it had come off, which I'm not sure it did really) that as well as getting a feel for the personal emotion (well I do anyway) you could imagine a whole stadium of people singing the chorus, producing a shared experience between the band and the audience.

The same hasn't been done with RBS. It's a song to watch and listen to the performers, rather than to share in, if that makes sense. I think that may be what Matt means by getting back to concentrating on the music and making it more intimate, you know, stripping out any other considerations, at the point of writing and recording, and just concentrating on what the song really means emotionally and interpreting it accordingly.

You can be the worlds biggest band/singer and still play a number of 'small' / 'intimate' gigs. A theatre would make a great intimate venue for a gig. Bands and singers have been known to play intimate gigs in theatres. A Muse unplugged would also be good.

Archived