My Mattocaster Build

Dean/muse

For all of this "specialness" revolving around the finish, it doesnt look THAT great... :LOL:

Shape is a bit... strange.. too.. not quite right...

Plus if you were getting a million pound finish by bono's car dealer and having it grain filled with a special semen based grain filler, surely you could have gotten a telecaster neck to make it look a little more like a MoC...? :erm:

If I want to pick nits, which now I do, the shape is a bit dodgey yeah - bottom horn is too fat, top horn is too sharp, and the shape looks a little too corsetted.. if thou dost follow mine drift.

but it's car paint so would probably be too thick in comparison to a Nitro finish for relic'ing.

Car paints (polyurethane) aren't any thicker if you do it right, they just aren't garbage like nitro. My opinion of course on nitro. The stuff is soft and weak. Great for relics if thats what you're going for though. Poly is just a much stronger finish. Acrylic lacquers go on like nitro but are a lot stronger as another option.

What was the point of the special clear primer when you painted it black anyway?

It's probably an epoxy primer which is usually clear.

What advantage would that even give.

increased resonance,

rather than sealing the wood (preventing excess moisture from the wood escaping) Nitro is supposed to be able to allow the moisture escape and allow a more resonant instrument in the long run.

Apparently.

increased resonance,

rather than sealing the wood (preventing excess moisture from the wood escaping) Nitro is supposed to be able to allow the moisture escape and allow a more resonant instrument in the long run.

Apparently.

Well first of all almost all wood that is used in instruments or if you buy quality wood from someone has already been stuck in a kiln and dried out and any moisture leaving/entering the wood after that is so small it won't matter.

Secondly even if a solid body electric guitar resonates more acoustically that doesn't mean its going to sound any better plugged in.

I guess I just don't buy any of the stupid snake oil stories of guitar players. That's just the engineer in me talking though. In an acoustic guitar I could see the finish mattering.

i'm sure its hardly audible, but myself, I like the way Nitro finishes age.

and therefore, prefer it.

See thats a good reason to like nitro. I have a 62 Jazzmaster reissue in sunburst that I would like to age at some point and I'm glad its finished in nitro for that. The guitars I have built/am building I don't really want the finish to change (unless I drop it or whatever) and therefore would rather have the durable poly finish.

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst it does look nicely done, at the end of the day the finish looks no different to any other finish after all of the "hype" you have given it... and either way, no one can deny the shape is pretty off.

Despite all of this, who gives a fuck, so long as it sounds like a beast and is nice to play, that's all that matters.

Thanks Phil its only my first build Im sorry for all the hype I guess its because I was so excited. It sounds great tho acoustically its not too loud I think its because of the paint. Im looking forward to my next build once my wallet fills up a bit. =D

the man who is doing my guitar with its prep before painting has done many famous athletes and celebrities apartments. Like a famous baseball player Derek Jeter , He has done Bonos apartment here in NYC and many more. And the automotive spray man is extremely experienced he does everything from Chroming metals to Painting Special materials to custom painting Bikes and Cars. Theyre all very experienced and their all doing it for free I just need to buy the paints and materials. He says His Flat paint is custom mixed according to Material and its his own paint that he came up with and it costs quite a bit for a can. =D I think im set.

The finished article in your photos just screams premium bespoke craftsmanship. Really, i'd say this guitar is fit for Bono.

Being that im only 16 I think I did a pretty good job. So I don't think you need to make your wise written comments.

dude, i think its awesome :awesome: i'm 14 and i'm building a mattocaster (look at my thread!! lol) you did do a great job and as long as you say that these people helped you who gives a fuck. I tried to build a guitar by myself and I failed :indiff: . as soon as i asked my guitar teacher for advice i built my first guitar sucsessfully :yesey: .

If was you though i WOULD change the lower horn but acctuly i like how its not a perfectionists replica! (and plus you wouldn't get sued by 'huge mansion' :LOL: for ripping off his design like im doing :( )

Archived