I know what you're saying but it's coming from (imo) the wrong direction. Brainwashing is a bad thing. Making your music accessible isn't. Brainwashing involves trying to make people believe what you want them to believe and discard their previous beliefs. Okay there may be subtle messages in there, and obviously they do want people to like their music and they want success, but what Matt has described before is being a conduit for other people's emotions, being part of the collective, not at the front doing the dictating. He has also said before that he feels that the lyrics come from outside himself.

I'm not saying anything about however he's right or not, but he has some good points. But I barely read all that, I just scrolled through most of it. I just get a bit annoyed when people take this "brainwashing" literally and goes "I don't think they brainwash people"....you don't say?

Oh well, way too much attention for a site with such a background.

I'm not saying anything about however he's right or not, but he has some good points. But I barely read all that, I just scrolled through most of it. I just get a bit annoyed when people take this "brainwashing" literally and goes "I don't think they brainwash people"....you don't say?

Oh well, way too much attention for a site with such a background.

Yes and way too much attention when I have other more important things on my mind. I only scanned through it too, but it's a distraction.

I understand what you mean though.

What I'm trying to say is that using brainwashing as a metaphor has an implication, an implication which I don't think is right.

I still refuse to this as brainwashing, because it isn't.

Even before this thread who many musers on this forum have complained that Muse have sold their soul to get exposure?

Also, isn't it WARNER who decide to put their songs in adverts, movies et al.. therefore, if that is the case, isn't it Warner who are doing the brainwashing, not Muse or more specifically Matt?

This thread is very lolsome though!

Hmm, it's arguable. I'm sure though if there was an advert/filmwhatever that the band particularly did not want their music to feature they would say so. I guess all they do is just clear it.

Warner don't write the songs though and as far as I'm aware didn't say to Muse to put their songs in the Twilight soundtrack when the franchise started.

You also conveniently left out the writer's embarrassing stuff about personal-pronoun use as evidence of this... would that be evidence of brainwashing' date=' of the metaphorical use of b-washing as a figurative device in the essay, or of Muse's selling out? [/quote']

...I did include it in my extract. Do you really not know how to read?

I stated that they were using it as a factor to how Muse have broken through into the mainstream. His writing tone suggests that the band did it deliberately so, therefore, it could be classed as selling out when in the past they weren't specifically making music for the purpose of a hit single.

I actually cheated with my first post by arguing the fundamental illogic of it all without actually reading beyond the first three lines or so.

Guess you don't know how to read then.

Hmm, it's arguable. I'm sure though if there was an advert/filmwhatever that the band particularly did not want their music to feature they would say so. I guess all they do is just clear it.

I think you are thinking about the nescafe advert where they used Muse's version of FG without the band's authorisation and they got sued over it.

I think you are thinking about the nescafe advert where they used Muse's version of FG without the band's authorisation and they got sued over it.

Well, thing might be different now in bands allowing their music to be used for adverts since then but I couldn't tell you for certain. I would guess though that the band merely get offers, are asked to say yes or no and then other people take it from there.

And also bare in mind that different countries have different rules when it comes to using copyrighted music in adverts.

for everyone looking into the use of the word brainwashing so much, it does read like the writer's struggling for a synonym for it.

+1

I did say this earlier but it's true. The worst thing you can do in writing, particular about something like music, is writing the same word to death.

i've been paging through most of these posts, so its probably likely that i've forgotten the point i was going to make....but here goes

i think we're reading far too much into an essay that doesn't even make a distinct point..metaphorically or literally. either way, the term brainwashing doesn't fit the conclusion he's trying to make (whatever that might be), not the mention the fact that the essay is poorly constructed. and if he has indeed been to 46 concerts, does that not lump him in with the group he proclaims to be "soft-minded?"

also, 1985 called, they want their tacky print and "rad" lingo back...

Archived