I don't; he does. I pointed out in my second post that it's hardly original to use personal pronouns in song lyrics.

I know what you said, and what he wrote. He calls it brainwashing yes, and you are the one saying he mean it literally. I can't see how just pointing out that he writes "brainwashing" a lot proofs that he really means it.

Part of the tumblr essayist's argument runs thusly: Muse is popular 'cause they've used brainwashing techniques. And some of the evidence of this is their growing popularity everywhere... even in movie soundtracks... and shopping malls! (And no, he wasn't citing soundtracks and mall-muzak as evidence of their growing popularity, but as examples of "brainwashing" (whatever he means by that exactly) -- apparently, mere repeated exposure to a pop song constitutes at least a low-level form of brainwashing to this guy.

That's a circular (and really stupid) argument, ignoring how people resist pop-music brainwashing all the time... simply by persisting disliking popular songs they've heard many times!

So you think his argument to defend his view is rubbish?

Well, here's the paragraph in question:

Between the album and the Twilight movie series, their popularity reaches extremely high levels. What started out as “Muse” in between an equal sign, essentially making Muse equal with their listeners, and the occasional perfume commercial, has turned into full-blown brainwashing. Putting your music in a movie soundtrack is going to automatically make associations in the minds of all of those interested in the movie (a whole hell of a lot of teenagers). In an age when the average person doesn’t even listen to full albums, soundtracks are crucial. There is a whole mess of “Twilighters”, fans of Muse who know them only by their songs in the movies. Now even the music video’s for The Resistance are being played four times a day in department stores. The album itself is filled immensely with “we” and “us” and “they” and “them” as if saying that Muse is as ordinary as you. “They will not control us” in bright bold lyrics is projected on to the stage as Matt Bellamy sings and the whole audience chants to them. Matt Bellamy is really brainwashing a whole sea of soft minded teenagers into liking Muse. This is such a drastic change (some would say hypocritical) in what Muse started off preaching it begs to wonder if Matt Bellamy ever listens to the amazing sentiments he preached in the song “Showbiz”.

His argument in simple terms: Muse are selling out in order to get as much exposure as possible to their music. This is reflected in the examples he gives, which is boiled down to:

• The use of songs in the Twilight soundtracks.
  • The constant playing of their music videos in department stores.
  • The fact that songs on The Resistance are far more accessible than on past albums that connect with the audience in a very easy way.

Which is a perfectly fair argument to me.

his brief summary of those techniques makes it clear that his understanding of it hinges on the brainwasher's ability to exercise total environmental control over his subject.

Do musicians ever get that opportunity? They come closest to that in concert, but even then, the fans are free to leave, so no.

if you read first three chapters of "Muse out of this world" book, there is a very deteailed account of the recording deals they made during Showbiz time. They wanted to have a very granular control of every distribution channel in every country.

I can identify other techniques/strategies Matt used for making fans more obsessive:

- numbered, limited copies of the first EP

- breaking 140 guitars during OOS tour

- first and second treasure hunts

- starting being more "personal" with twitter

- twilight (by appealing to already very obsessive people)

just to name a few

well, it's not like it's their choice that their videos get played at department stores a lot.

i find it a little odd to speak of brainwashing just because they gained more popularity. other bands have done similar things to get their music out there.

hasn't matt said in interviews that uprising is about the current situation in england? people not being content with their politicians and a feeling of estrangement? it's a song about people rebelling against their government and since muse are part of that public and not involved in politics they use "we", "us" etc. how could a song about that topic be written without those pronouns? so i'd say it's rather coincidence that they are occurring in the songs and not some kind of hidden agenda on matt's part in order to brainwash people... :rolleyes:

He is exaggerating the term somewhat, if he descriped it a bit clearer I would see what he was getting at. I don't think there is anyone out there who could truly brainwash someone, maybe manipulate a few of their thoughts. Hense yes, it is a metaphor. That is what a lot of artists do, they know exactly how to horde the masses in and Muse do it perfectly by using typical strategies of a mainstream act.

They must be doing something, why else would I be scavenging for money to go see them play a setlist I've more than likely already seen in London. ;)

I find it amusing that some randomers post on tumblr is getting so much attention.

I have been a fan for a long time and find it amusing how obsessive muse fans are. I understand that in that post it was used as a methaphor, but it was ringing a bell with me, because I know more about Matt and his interest in the subject, then the writer of that post

they know exactly how to horde the masses in and Muse do it perfectly by using typical strategies of a mainstream act.

since they've signed with Q-Prime marketing agency they have it done professionally

I have been a fan for a long time and find it amusing how obsessive muse fans are. I understand that in that post it was used as a methaphor, but it was ringing a bell with me, because I know more about Matt and his interest in the subject, then the writer of that post

Ye, I can see what you mean about Muse fans being very obsessive. I agree that the twitter accounts and treasure hunts etc. do encourage a lot of fans to become more obsessive.

Ye, I can see what you mean about Muse fans being very obsessive. I agree that the twitter accounts and treasure hunts etc. do encourage a lot of fans to become more obsessive.

This is true. The treasure hunt captured me at least and the tweets help to make me feel included though they have been rather sporadic lately. From my viewpoint it's because Muse want to have a good relationship with their fans though rather than being some kind of cold commercial technique. Otherwise everyone would be doing it and the tweets, at least, wouldn't be so natural and they wouldn't be sporadic either. :) Unless it's using the behaviourism approach. I think it's probably more the can only sometimes be arsed approach though! :LOL:

What happened?

That's the one with the bikes right? I followed that on Muselive :$

Yes. In summary: Muse were so fascinated with the fans trying to decipher setlist names for new songs that they decided to play with their minds by doing a treasure hunt. The end result saw fans travelling from all over the place to some place in Texas where they found mountain bikes that the band had used on tour. It was amazing.

Celtic Rose tried to claim one even though she merely watched things unfold on a computer screen. That's actually harsh but she claimed to 'own' the bike because she helped them find it.

What happened?

That's the one with the bikes right? I followed that on Muselive :$

Rose was the first one to work out the final clue, but it turned out the bikes were in America but she was in the UK. The forum was pissed because it had been a collaborative effort for months working out the previous clues, so much fun. But Rose wanted to keep her answer to herself.

In the end she PMed some American users (the musemom gang) and they found the bike for her. Then she pissed off the Americans too because she wouldn't pay shipping costs to get one of the bikes over the Atlantic to her :LOL:

Yes. In summary: Muse were so fascinated with the fans trying to decipher setlist names for new songs that they decided to play with their minds by doing a treasure hunt. The end result saw fans travelling from all over the place to some place in Texas where they found mountain bikes that the band had used on tour. It was amazing.

Celtic Rose tried to claim one even though she merely watched things unfold on a computer screen. That's actually harsh but she claimed to 'own' the bike because she helped them find it.

Oh yeah that's it, started with D.E.S right.. yeah that was pretty cool, I was so shit at it though I just let other people work it out :LOL:

Rose was the first one to work out the final clue, but it turned out the bikes were in America but she was in the UK. The forum was pissed because it had been a collaborative effort for months working out the previous clues, so much fun. But Rose wanted to keep her answer to herself.

In the end she PMed some American users (the musemom gang) and they found the bike for her. Then she pissed off the Americans too because she wouldn't pay shipping costs to get one of the bikes over the Atlantic to her :LOL:

What the shit :LOL: That's mental

Archived