Chris is awesome!

I think of it this way:

Since Chris doesn't speak much, when he DOES talk, you listen. Usually, it's something that is insightful and thought provoking.

I'd rather read 10 interviews with Chris than 100 with either Dom or Matt.

I have to say, I think Chris brought up some good points. #1) Radio presence, #2) Record labels and #3) Getting out there anyway you can (even if it means having your music as background to a film or television show).

That is exactly what I was trying to say, I just didn't find the words. Thanks :happy: I think most of us have seen women who try to live their lives like they were princesses, especially what it comes to weddings. Those people desperately try to have a perfect wedding and a perfect life, like Bella had, but it is just not possible. It's not possible for most of us and that is the reality. It's alright if you read romantic novels knowing they are not realistic, you just want a quick escape from a reality. But if you're young and are easily influenced by these kind of books, then it's getting serious.

I myself was the little girl who was not planning her wedding. I still, at this age, cannot think anything more horrendous than walking down the aisle. I have never dreamed of a church wedding. For many years I used to think I was weird, but maybe it was just something I was taught to feel. I hope young women who think like me would find out there are other people like them, and it's alright to think that way.

There is a little truth in the theory that books/films can have some influence on young minds, Jamie Bulger's killers were known to have been partly 'inspired' by the film Childs Play but I think they're the exception to the rule. In general, I don't think that people who watch horror films, or play violent video games like Grand Theft Auto are necessarily likely to become violent killers as a consequence, just as girls who read Twilight are unlikely to squander their life looking for a handsome vampire who will save them!

I think that real life has a bigger influence on the way people think. The boys who killed Jamie Bulger didn't come from good family backgrounds. Even young girls who enjoy reading/watching the Twilight books/films surely can tell, by the fact that there are so many split families around, that fairytale love is a very rare and unlikely thing and they obviously know that vamps and weres are fictional (unless they live a very sheltered life indeed). Its just escapism and a bit of fun.

Disagreements here come down to taste. If you have read the Twilight books and they bored you, fair enough. If you liked them that's fine too. There's no right or wrong in this argument imo:)

Chris is awesome!

I think of it this way:

Since Chris doesn't speak much, when he DOES talk, you listen. Usually, it's something that is insightful and thought provoking.

I have to say, I think Chris brought up some good points. #1) Radio presence, #2) Record labels and #3) Getting out there anyway you can (even if it means having your music as background to a film or television show).

Well, I think Chris just said something everyone knew already, the other two have been more diplomatic about it and I don't think that's an excuse to blame them :rolleyes:

Anyway, Chris is a big fan of the Bond's films is obvious he prefers to see pretty cars, pretty women and cool explosions than a insipid girl that's not sure whether to choose a big dog or a dead man that shines in the sunlight.

That may be true in a lot of cases but...popular things do have the power to influence either consciously or subconsciously. I mean, there's some argument to suggest someone who was exposed to a little too much Disney princess stuff who wants a massive fairy tale wedding and has unrealistic expectations of men might have gained those expectations during their Disney princess watching childhood.

I know not everyone is that easily influenced but sometimes I wonder. Especially when I remember what it was like being a little girl and I felt odd for not wanting to plan my wedding/not wanting marriage and babies because it felt like that's all anyone ever seemed to ask little girls about in the context of "what do you want to be when you grow up?" and a large part of that was how women were portrayed in fiction aimed at little/teenage girls.

Disney stories have to get their ideas from somewhere, so you could argue that the ideals shown in those films are representative of what is considered the norm anyway (a normal desire to have a good looking man and a massive wedding, not the more fantastical fairytale stuff obviously).

Not saying you're right or wrong, this is just for the sake of argument.

Disney stories have to get their ideas from somewhere, so you could argue that the ideals shown in those films are representative of what is considered the norm anyway (a normal desire to have a good looking man and a massive wedding, not the more fantastical fairytale stuff obviously).

Not saying you're right or wrong, this is just for the sake of argument.

Oh don't get me wrong, I know there's a long literary tradition of women not doing much other than waiting to be rescued by a handsome prince stand-in or on the opposite end of the scale you've got literary females having a pretty rubbish life because they got involved with the wrong men. I was just using Disney as a modern example that came before Twilight. Cos when I read Twilight I got the same vibes that are criticisms of early Disney...that the only thing that matters is looking good and being desired by men and giving up everything else going on in your life to get married.

And I admit that even today there's pressure in real life for girls to only care about having a man and a family that comes from other people, not just books/etc. You only have to look at women's magazines and the obsession with telling you how to "bag" a man and make sure you keep him.

But that's why how popular Twilight is and the love for Edward scares me. Because combined with the social conditioning I described above I just worry that some of the girls reading this stuff will waste a lot of their youth waiting for an Edward (who doesn't exist) and getting stressed out that they're 21 and still not married or something ridiculous like that.

Oh don't get me wrong, I know there's a long literary tradition of women not doing much other than waiting to be rescued by a handsome prince stand-in or on the opposite end of the scale you've got literary females having a pretty rubbish life because they got involved with the wrong men. I was just using Disney as a modern example that came before Twilight. Cos when I read Twilight I got the same vibes that are criticisms of early Disney...that the only thing that matters is looking good and being desired by men and giving up everything else going on in your life to get married.

And I admit that even today there's pressure in real life for girls to only care about having a man and a family that comes from other people, not just books/etc. You only have to look at women's magazines and the obsession with telling you how to "bag" a man and make sure you keep him.

But that's why how popular Twilight is and the love for Edward scares me. Because combined with the social conditioning I described above I just worry that some of the girls reading this stuff will waste a lot of their youth waiting for an Edward (who doesn't exist) and getting stressed out that they're 21 and still not married or something ridiculous like that.

I think what you said was pretty spot on. I have two cousins that think like this. :noey:

I can honestly say that I get a bit worried for them sometimes :erm:

I thought Bella only married as part of a bargain?

Yeah. I believe Edward will only turn her if they get married. Bella is desperate to be a vampire.

Which is another aspect of those books I have a problem with.

Basically, girls get rubbish stories. :noey:

:LOL:

B: I love you.

E: No I love you more.

B: No I love you more.

B: No I love you more.

B: I am not worthy of you.

E: Yes you are.

B: No I'm not.

E:Yes you are.

Aaaaargh!!!!

Where's Blade when you need him? :(

blade.jpg

That is exactly what I was trying to say, I just didn't find the words. Thanks :happy: I think most of us have seen women who try to live their lives like they were princesses, especially what it comes to weddings. Those people desperately try to have a perfect wedding and a perfect life, like Bella had, but it is just not possible. It's not possible for most of us and that is the reality. It's alright if you read romantic novels knowing they are not realistic, you just want a quick escape from a reality. But if you're young and are easily influenced by these kind of books, then it's getting serious.

I myself was the little girl who was not planning her wedding. I still, at this age, cannot think anything more horrendous than walking down the aisle. I have never dreamed of a church wedding. For many years I used to think I was weird, but maybe it was just something I was taught to feel. I hope young women who think like me would find out there are other people like them, and it's alright to think that way.

I think you're talking about two different things here. Having a silly dream about having a big white wedding and living happy ever after, isn't the same as having a real passion and love for another individual. That exists. Whether it's something that can last is unclear, but it appears that there are couples who manage to stay happy with each other in relationships. It's just not that common.

I hasten to add though that in relation to this series I only read the first one so I don't actually know how ridiculous it gets after that.

Chris is awesome!

I think of it this way:

Their views on using Twilight for promotion have been spoken about before and Matt contributed to the discussion and implies much the same, though, looking at it again, he talks about it from a different angle. It doesn't look like Matt thinks he's selling his soul. Possibly being involved in the franchise niggles Chris more, whereas Matt feels it's just useful, to get past barriers.

They also have a song on the just-released soundtrack to the new, third instalment of the mega-selling Twilight vampire film franchise (they were on the first two as well). They are all over American TV and radio.

"Being on the first Twilight soundtrack was probably the thing that kickstarted it for us in America," says bass player Chris Wolstenholme, 31.

"It's a good way to get the music out to a load of young people, that's the hard truth of it," adds Matt.

"I really believe in our music, and in the meaning behind what we're doing. And because of certain things we're talking about in certain songs, mainstream media doesn't necessarily want us to be popular," he adds, in a nod to one of his own pet conspiracy theories. "So we have to take on alternative methods of getting our music out there, which sometimes could appear to be questionable."

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=75879

Though I doubt that difficulties of promoting music without using alternative means really has anything to do with the mainstream rejecting the lyrical content, I can imagine Matt thinking in that way and songs such as USoE and Uprising could be seen as controversial.

In any case, the commercial side of music promotion can easily be seen as a barrier in that it's not a level playing field to start with, some forms of music being favoured and promoted more by the music moguls.

This ideal of "soul selling" is a very grey area. If you believe in the music, however you are promoting it, you are not, in my opinion, selling your soul.

Though I doubt that difficulties of promoting music without using alternative means really has anything to do with the mainstream rejecting the lyrical content, I can imagine Matt thinking in that way and songs such as USoE and Uprising could be seen as controversial.

I always find myself replying to you CarrieB! You always have something interesting to contribute that gets me thinking. Thought I'd point that out! ;)

I think it's mostly down to the curse of breaking America. It's such a big country and as Chris points out there is no national radio station; there's also the view that some people have that Americans prefer home grown music to foreign artists - so there's a lot of factors which prevent a band from becoming successful, and none of it is down to talent or selling power. For example, the artists with the biggest record deal ever signed (Robbie Williams) is virtually unheard of in the US despite several attempts to make it there. Movie soundtracks offer a proven one-stop solution to these problems. If your band is featured on a soundtrack to an extremely successful movie then you've cracked it.

Two of the biggest selling movie soundtracks are the soundtrack to Titanic and the soundtrack to The Bodyguard. Both of these movies were massive hits; The Titanic soundtrack was made famous by Celine Dion's contribution of My Heart Will Go On and it sent that song through the stratosphere - Celine, admittedly already a big artist - was made into a pop Goddess after that; she was in serious demand. Same with The Bodyguard and Whitney Houston's cover of I Will Always Love You. That song somehow managed to become bigger than the film it was recorded for and as a result the soundtrack is the best selling soundtrack of all time.

Some might call that selling out, I personally see it as their only way to make it to the level they want to be in the US without having to spend half their lives touring there - a means to an end. Chris calls that selling their soul. Everyone has their own view of it.

Although I would say Matt's suspicions might not be completely unfounded. I remember an interview with Matt where he says that he gets stopped, taken to an interview room and questioned pretty much every time he enters the US.

I wouldn't suggest any government involvement in what gets played on the radio of course (because that's a bit out there!) but I would say that certainly someone is keeping an eye on what he gets up to. However, I suspect that is more to do with his outspoken views on the illuminati and his support for characters like Alex Jones rather than his anti-establishment lyrics.

In order to be hugely huge in the US you need to have massive appeal to people across the board. With the country being so diverse, it's hard to do this without being somewhat "generic". Appearing on a popular movie soundtrack isn't a ticket to the top 40. NSC is connected to one of the biggest franchises around, yet it hasn't been remotely as successful as Uprising or Resistance have been. NSC hasn't even made it to the top 10 on the alternative charts. I don't think SMBH ever even made it into the hot 100 and that was actually featured prominently in the movie. Meanwhile, Uprising actually made it to the top 40 (to like 38 or something)....

I think the problem is less that Muse couldn't "break America" than it is that they have the wrong idea about what that means.... I think it may be a case of big fish/small pond, then the fish suddenly finding itself in the ocean (ooOOOoocean) They were measuring their success by comparing it to a narrower market (like the UK) rather than looking at their success relative to other groups like them in the US. The top 40 charts/radio here are generally dominated by generic pop, hip-hop and softer/generic rock. Muse is not Lady GaGa, Beyonce or Celine Dion, they're a rock band. It's ok if they're not even in the hot 100.

Having a string of top 40 songs is not necessary for a rock band to become successful here, all that's needed is to consistently do well in the Rock and Alt Rock charts - something that Muse has been doing since Absolution. This gets you airplay on rock/alt rock/adult alternative stations nationwide. You may not get on top 40, but then hardly anyone who is the type that is going to become a fan of a band like Muse is going to be listening to top 40. If they're listening to the radio, they're going to be listening to the rock oriented stations. Then, once you've built that fanbase, they might push your singles higher in the charts... but not the other way around.

The fact that we don't have national radiostations is irrelevent. I live in southern Virginia, not exactly one of the top tier radio markets in the US - I found out about Muse in 2004 when I heard Hysteria on my local alternative station.

I sound like a broken record, but I really think they don't get the US.... But what can you do? Muse wanted the attention that came with Twilight, they've got it - the good and the bad. We'll see what happens with it as time passes.... but they didn't in any way need Twilight, not even here.

I'd be willing to wager that in the end, once the dust settles, the total number of fans they add to the fanbase (rather than "fad fans" who's interest is already waning) is going to end up being about the same as it would have been naturally, without twilight. Though their checking accounts will probably be healthier this way...

Oh, and about Matt's little conspiracy, oh brother :chuckle: RATM was saying things more controversial than Matt 15+yrs ago and they've done just fine here... not to mention several rappers who have been more successful than Muse may ever be ;) It always amuses me when I hear someone using a public platform to claim that they're being silenced... don't they see the irony?

In order to be hugely huge in the US you need to have massive appeal to people across the board. With the country being so diverse, it's hard to do this without being somewhat "generic". Appearing on a popular movie soundtrack isn't a ticket to the top 40. NSC is connected to one of the biggest franchises around, yet it hasn't been remotely as successful as Uprising or Resistance have been. NSC hasn't even made it to the top 10 on the alternative charts. I don't think SMBH ever even made it into the hot 100 and that was actually featured prominently in the movie. Meanwhile, Uprising actually made it to the top 40 (to like 38 or something)....

I think the problem is less that Muse couldn't "break America" than it is that they have the wrong idea about what that means.... I think it may be a case of big fish/small pond, then the fish suddenly finding itself in the ocean (ooOOOoocean) They were measuring their success by comparing it to a narrower market (like the UK) rather than looking at their success relative to other groups like them in the US. The top 40 charts/radio here are generally dominated by generic pop, hip-hop and softer/generic rock. Muse is not Lady GaGa, Beyonce or Celine Dion, they're a rock band. It's ok if they're not even in the hot 100.

Having a string of top 40 songs is not necessary for a rock band to become successful here, all that's needed is to consistently do well in the Rock and Alt Rock charts - something that Muse has been doing since Absolution. This gets you airplay on rock/alt rock/adult alternative stations nationwide. You may not get on top 40, but then hardly anyone who is the type that is going to become a fan of a band like Muse is going to be listening to top 40. If they're listening to the radio, they're going to be listening to the rock oriented stations. Then, once you've built that fanbase, they might push your singles higher in the charts... but not the other way around.

The fact that we don't have national radiostations is irrelevent. I live in southern Virginia, not exactly one of the top tier radio markets in the US - I found out about Muse in 2004 when I heard Hysteria on my local alternative station.

I sound like a broken record, but I really think they don't get the US.... But what can you do? Muse wanted the attention that came with Twilight, they've got it - the good and the bad. We'll see what happens with it as time passes.... but they didn't in any way need Twilight, not even here.

I'd be willing to wager that in the end, once the dust settles, the total number of fans they add to the fanbase (rather than "fad fans" who's interest is already waning) is going to end up being about the same as it would have been naturally, without twilight. Though their checking accounts will probably be healthier this way...

Oh, and about Matt's little conspiracy, oh brother :chuckle: RATM was saying things more controversial than Matt 15+yrs ago and they've done just fine here... not to mention several rappers who have been more successful than Muse may ever be ;) It always amuses me when I hear someone using a public platform to claim that they're being silenced... don't they see the irony?

Agreed :)

Well said :yesey:

Exactly!! :yesey:

Oh, and about Matt's little conspiracy, oh brother :chuckle: RATM was saying things more controversial than Matt 15+yrs ago and they've done just fine here... not to mention several rappers who have been more successful than Muse may ever be ;)
i dont live in the US and i have no idea how the market works there, so i cant really say i agree or disagree with what you said in your entire post (what you write makes a lot of sense though) but in relation to this bit i just quoted, i suspect that this has something to do with what sazzrah mentioned above, and that i will quote:

I remember an interview with Matt where he says that he gets stopped' date=' taken to an interview room and questioned pretty much every time he enters the US.[/quote']

he's mentioned this several times to the media and in one recent interview he says that whenever he asks the authorities why does this happen, they simply tell him to contact the british embassy to get more information.

this could very well have an influence on his perception of how their music is taken there. i dont think it makes much sense tbh and matt believes in things that i fid a bit dodgy anyway :p but maybe if i was interrogated every time i flew to the US maybe i'd start questioning some things too, i dunno lol

he's mentioned this several times to the media and in one recent interview he says that whenever he asks the authorities why does this happen, they simply tell him to contact the british embassy to get more information.

this could very well have an influence on his perception of how their music is taken there. i dont think it makes much sense tbh and matt believes in things that i fid a bit dodgy anyway :p but maybe if i was interrogated every time i flew to the US maybe i'd start questioning some things too, i dunno lol

Doesn't he think this is because of the stupid bomb joke he made once?

i dont live in the US and i have no idea how the market works there, so i cant really say i agree or disagree with what you said in your entire post (what you write makes a lot of sense though) but in relation to this bit i just quoted, i suspect that this has something to do with what sazzrah mentioned above, and that i will quote:

" Originally Posted by sazzrah;

I remember an interview with Matt where he says that he gets stopped, taken to an interview room and questioned pretty much every time he enters the US."

Eh. He has nothing to worry about regarding his music. In the states, in this day and age, if his music was that controversial and agenda pushing, he wouldn't be on a major record label here. Simple as that. If he wants to stir up some shit, ditch Warner! You can tell the fat cats to have a heart attack until you're blue in the face. But you're still their little bitch since they take your profits and tell you what to do! :LOL:

I was actually referring to the interview Carrie quoted where Matt is basically saying that they're somehow being blocked because of the message behind their music. First, I don't think the messages in the music are all that controversial, they're actually fairly vague or nonspecific in a lot of cases. The more controversial things tend to be coming out in interviews, but even there he's not saying anything that isn't also being said by others. No offense to Matt, but I really don't think the mainstream US media cares enough about what he says to make an effort to silence him ;)

With him getting stopped at airports, as others mentioned above, he has since claimed that that was due to him making a bomb joke - although that story sounded way too similar to the scene in Meet the Parents, so who knows ;)

Archived