Chris is a top bass player. He might be the quiet man but he's the anchor of the band for me. Inventive playing and he never goes over the top, always serving the song perfectly, though I'm sure he (like Dom) could play more technically proficient parts if he wanted to.

The man's stamina is otherworldly; a line like Stockholm might sound simple to play (as it's not exactly all over the fretboard) but it's a real test when played with fingers like Chris does. B+H is the same, I find. As far as his sound goes, it might be because I've spent over 12 years playing his bass parts but he's definitely one of the more recognisable pop/rock players, much like Flea and Tim Commerford from RATM.

Hardcore fans are too harsh on Muse live, and that’s not me being elitist or getting on a high horse ‘cos I used to be just as bad.

A lot of what they get criticised for is actually pretty understandable and we often create our own disappointment by hoping for ideals (just ‘cos of how much we like them and their music tbf) and following every set. Hearing them talk about the live shows and individual songs, you can see how much care they put into it and I actually feel bad seeing some of the levels of criticism that gets thrown their way a little too easily, including stuff I used to say.

Hardcore fans are too harsh on Muse live, and that’s not me being elitist or getting on a high horse ‘cos I used to be just as bad.

A lot of what they get criticised for is actually pretty understandable and we often create our own disappointment by hoping for ideals (just ‘cos of how much we like them and their music tbf) and following every set. Hearing them talk about the live shows and individual songs, you can see how much care they put into it and I actually feel bad seeing some of the levels of criticism that gets thrown their way a little too easily, including stuff I used to say.

this

This whole comment should be framed and hanged in the living room for everyone to admire.

In all seriousness, though, I agree with everything, but obviously a good dose of healthy criticism never hurts.

Oh yeah, I didn’t mean to imply they were totally immune to criticism. The last tour did have too much playback/filler (NKOK in particular being a bafflingly poor choice imo), I don’t see a reasonable reason for the US to get shorter shows more often, and the way fans are addressed can be a bit careless at times.

But some of the most common stuff like getting on at them for mainly playing the hits, demanding rotation (then moaning if it’s not what x person wants), an often arbitrary minimum # of songs, 1 or 2 dedicated rarity slots and claiming the band are lazy, don’t care or are even contemptuous when one or two of these things aren’t met isn’t fair or anywhere near accurate, to me.

Edited by Jobby

The assumption that if Muse play good but rare songs the audience will be into it anyways should have died during The 2nd Law era but still carries on and fuels some of those demands.

Now, how we got there, how much of that is the band's fault, and whether it should be considered a "fault" at all is another discussion.

Ah! Now it gets interesting!! *grabsPopcorn* :party:

I think Muse, well Matt, should try including 1 or 2 rare songs into every set. Yes, not a new idea-it seems Matt never thinks about it or believes it won't work. Casuals could get used to it, don't play 2 back to back, would please fans and maybe casuals would hear a new song and like it, search for it ...

But I can already read and see fans bitching about it, wanting specific songs and not being satisfied - so this won't ever happen.

but I wish it would.

Edited by Claudia O.

• 2 weeks later...

Muse could drop every political song over the past four albums and I'd be happy. Their most compelling material occurs where Matt finds new and honest ways to explore his condition.

SH is an exception only because it's missing the point. The band didn't enjoy touring Drones because on some level I believe they knew it was nonsense. This is also why they need to stop playing Psycho, the epitome of Muse's hamfisted 8th grade politics.

Don't get me wrong, Animals is a great song, but it becomes unlistenable once you've processed and memorised the musical ideas. All that's left are some platitudes about how bankers are evil and should commit suicide. Same applies for Uprising, Unnatural Selection, Supremacy, Explorers, and most of Drones.

Matt writes significantly better songs when he takes himself seriously as a lyricist, not as a politician.

The run from Algorithm to Break it to me is one of the best runs since New Born to Micro Cuts

I personally extend it to SH, which I am a sucker for, now.

Also, I really think TC would have benefitted from being positioned right between TDS and Pressure.

ATM to listen to the album in this way:

Algorithm

TDS

Thought Contagion

Pressure

Propaganda

BITM

SH

Blockades

The Void

Dig Down

(Yes, no GUAF. I can't really digest it)

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Purely observationally speaking, the Abso Tour is vastly overrated and easily one of the lesser Muse touring eras.

V little variety (performance and set wise), only a handful of standout shows, too much vocal distortion, samey tones and pretty dull aesthetics. Respectably consistent performance levels but so much of it just blurs into one in retrospect.

• Like 1