You never really answered my thought, though, and maybe the "controversial" part of my point - who's the rotation for? You can't argue that most of the fans don't go to multiple gigs.

(I'd also argue the "best of" point, as they clearly are and will continue to play the "best of" hits in addition to new stuff, but that's beside the point.)

... for them? Jesus, how one would tire of playing the same thing every night for god knows how many years. Aside from that, for Europeans, deciding which gig or festival to go to? If you've got Werchter, Pinkpop and Pukklepop all in the similar area, all 3 of which will get different audiences, why wouldn't you shake it up? And with something like 130 songs released, why on earth wouldn't you want to shake it up? How fucking boring would it be if they played they same bloody setlist every day for a year...

So, maybe controversially, I wouldn't mind at all if they found that "perfect" setlist that balanced the big hits, new material, and toss in a fan fav "deep cut" or two, and just stuck with it.

I've recently seen bands hit that sweet spot, and it made me really wonder why Muse has struggled with it a bit.

Bands that hit a sweet spot meaning that they play all the songs you want to hear? I wonder how many fans at those gigs left dissapointed that they heard very little of what they wanted to hear... And stop calling the old songs 'fan favs', its implying that those who want to here newer or poppier tracks aren't real fans (and by god, they outnumber us significantly)

But again, the other bands in question were playing 20-23 songs a set, and not even arena sized gigs, which helped a ton.

So... why the fucking short set, Muse?

Because, as you repeatedly point out, Matt isn't in great shape. He's also getting on a bit, and on top of his incredibly strenous vocal duties, he plays guitar and piano as well. Maybe they've longer songs, maybe they don't want to play an extra 8-10 songs, which would add up to several hundred extra every years? Who knows.

Sets on the festival tour have been inconsistent, there's no two ways about it. Some sets have been pretty much purely greatest hits, while the very next gig could get Micro Cuts, CE, Apocalypse Please, Uno, Agitated and more.

Ideally, a band should try and find a balance. Play some of the big hits to sate the casuals, new songs are obviously a necessity, then have 2 or 3 slots per night where you can rotate between a few old fan-favourites or rarities. That way, you please as many people as possible.

Obviously shake up the setlists and don't keep them the same every night, but do it fairly so it's not so black and white.

Because, as you repeatedly point out, Matt isn't in great shape. He's also getting on a bit, and on top of his incredibly strenous vocal duties, he plays guitar and piano as well. Maybe they've longer songs, maybe they don't want to play an extra 8-10 songs, which would add up to several hundred extra every years? Who knows.

I doubt Matt's level of fitness really determines the gig length that much at this point. The festival sets have been about as long as expected, it's just that Muse do generally play for quite a short amount of time in comparison to some of their peers, and that's not counting the jams, encore breaks and the fact that they usually come on late and leave a bit early. Also, playing guitar/piano really doesn't exert much energy.

(ps. chill, bro. You're coming across a bit needlessly strong.)

Edited by Jobby

I prefer the inconsistent way. I'd rather go to a gig without knowing for sure what they gonna play than going to the gig knowing the exact setlist like i did in T2L tour.

For example RHCP plays 4-5 different songs every night, Muse at the very best plays 2 maybe 3 if lucky and for like 1 gig. How difficult is it Muse god dammit :mad:

I prefer the inconsistent way. I'd rather go to a gig without knowing for sure what they gonna play than going to the gig knowing the exact setlist like i did in T2L tour.

You can have unpredictable setlists without being inconsistent. That's what rotation slots are for.

I hate the idea of going to a Muse gig and being unsure as to whether I'll get a mental setlist with a bunch of rarities or an extremely tame one with the same old hits. It'd make me less likely to buy a ticket tbh, I could either leave really happy or seriously pissed off.

You can have unpredictable setlists without being inconsistent. That's what rotation slots are for.

I hate the idea of going to a Muse gig and being unsure as to whether I'll get a mental setlist with a bunch of rarities or an extremely tame one with the same old hits. It'd make me less likely to buy a ticket tbh, I could either leave really happy or seriously pissed off.

Still more exciting than knowing the setlist beforehand for me :LOL:

For example RHCP plays 4-5 different songs every night, Muse at the very best plays 2 maybe 3 if lucky and for like 1 gig. How difficult is it Muse god dammit :mad:

People can't aprecciate the good things, don't compare Kiedis and Bellamy live, i don't want to be disrespectful with RHCP because is a band i like, but live, Matt is immensely more powerful than Kiedis.

People can't aprecciate the good things, don't compare Kiedis and Bellamy live, i don't want to be disrespectful with RHCP because is a band i like, but live, Matt is immensely more powerful than Kiedis.

What does it have to do with changing songs every night? Muse has got great songs that doesn't requiere a great challenge for Matt to sing. RHCP played 51 different songs on their last tour so no excuse :LOL:

And another good thing about them is when they bring back a song they keep it for a while, how many times has Muse played Dead Star,Butterflies & Hurricanes,Ruled By Secrecy or Micro Cuts and dropped them for the rest of the tour?

Edited by White Heat

I think I've also pointed out that I don't think Bellamy being out of shape is a good excuse for anything.

It's something that he could easily rectify, and if you want to look at it that way, playing a short set because he's simply unwilling to get in shape would just be wrong.

Anyways, it's not like the sets have gotten short since he's been out of shape - I'm not talking about the festivals here - the arena sets have been disappointingly short for quite some time.

When I saw the arena tour in '10 they played 15 songs (and I'm not counting the jam.) That's really not acceptable imo.

Anyways, it's not like the sets have gotten short since he's been out of shape - I'm not talking about the festivals here - the arena sets have been disappointingly short for quite some time.

When I saw the arena tour in '10 they played 15 songs (and I'm not counting the jam.) That's really not acceptable imo.

I'd go for quality over quantity really. Most Muse sets are too hit-sided, and while I think Zepp swung too far in the other direction, it seems to be a very popular setlist. It only had 16 songs.

Also, playing guitar/piano really doesn't exert much energy.

The singing is the tiring part, breath support when done properly takes a shitload of energy. Most likely why Matt had his guitar-less moments last tour.

I hate the idea of going to a Muse gig and being unsure as to whether I'll get a mental setlist with a bunch of rarities or an extremely tame one with the same old hits.

It's great when it goes the right way though. I was expecting Werchter to be the shittest set ever. Then the real setlist happened and I lost my mind.

It's great when it goes the right way though. I was expecting Werchter to be the shittest set ever. Then the real setlist happened and I lost my mind.

Obviously it's great when it goes right, but it looks like it'd be fucking shite if it didn't. I just don't think there should be that big of a gap, it's not hard to even it out a bit.

I don't play the guitar so don't know how to phrase it properly, but to me, it sounds like the sort of scratchy thing he's done before Supremacy for ages.

Thought it might be pick-scraping.

Yeah, it's a pretty standard gap-filler, Matt does it before loads of songs. Not really indicative of anything in particular.

• 3 weeks later...