Eh, there isn't really anything wrong with either of those.

It's loud, but it's not that bad.

Are you kidding? Tonight i rediscovered Muse. I have all Muse CDs but i found the vinyl rips and the difference is abismal. The CDs are louder, OK, but turn up the volume to hear better the vinyl rips and BOOM! You can hear all these little details in the songs, all the instruments and not just a beam of sound. The voice of Matt is clear now and you can appreciate how good singer is, the bass of Chris is not buried under guitars and compression and you can tell how hard or how soft Dom is hitting the drums.

You can hear what is Matt saying in Exogenesis, the ''Alien'' sound behind ExoPolitics, the 2nd Law sounds AMAZING! Uprising seems a new song...

Differences between Supermassive Black Hole from the UK CD (down) and from the Vinyl (up).

11_07_2014_23_28_16.png[/url]

Why Muse? Why? I want proper remasters of all the albums, now.

Do you actually hear differences or do you just see that the waveform of the vinyl rip is smaller?

Are you kidding? Tonight i rediscovered Muse. I have all Muse CDs but i found the vinyl rips and the difference is abismal. The CDs are louder, OK, but turn up the volume to hear better the vinyl rips and BOOM! You can hear all these little details in the songs, all the instruments and not just a beam of sound. The voice of Matt is clear now and you can appreciate how good singer is, the bass of Chris is not buried under guitars and compression and you can tell how hard or how soft Dom is hitting the drums.

You can hear what is Matt saying in Exogenesis, the ''Alien'' sound behind ExoPolitics, the 2nd Law sounds AMAZING! Uprising seems a new song...

Oh c'mon now. Placebo effect is strong.

What are you using to listen to these tracks (Speakers/headphones, treated/untreated space etc)? Are you making sure they are matched volume wise before comparing?

Such a bizarre world we live in where people think vinyl means more detail and transients. Extreme use of compression started with trying to overcome the problems with vinyl.

Edited by haze015

Follow Me really is underrated. Gotta love the arpeggio.

I agree with you! It's great live, and it's a fun album track. I don't like that some people conisder it to be part of a trilogy of error, or whatever. It's much more exciting than Madness/Guiding Light et al, and doesn't doesn't deserve to be bundled with either of those (although I did enjoy Madness.)

What are you using to listen to these tracks (Speakers/headphones, treated/untreated space etc)?

Same speakers i used for a while. I'm not saying vinyl is better than CD, i don't think so. I'm just saying the Muse CDs are compressed and artificially louder. I'm not an expert but maybe these vinyl rips have a different master or don't have the loud process, can't really tell, just hear the differences.

Same speakers i used for a while. I'm not saying vinyl is better than CD, i don't think so. I'm just saying the Muse CDs are compressed and artificially louder. I'm not an expert but maybe these vinyl rips have a different master or don't have the loud process, can't really tell, just hear the differences.

You need to make sure how loud you are listening to them is 100% the same, which is very difficult to do. Even a 1dB difference can make something sound "better", when really, its just louder. Also vinyl impacts a very subtle distortion on the sound, its frequency dependant and different from traditional distortion, adding more character, which adds more complexity in comparing the two. Vinyl rips may have gone through amplifiers, which again, may add colour to the sound, rather than 100% clean.

Everything involved with music production is artificial. Vinyl will involve a lot of compression, especially with low end, but also helps bring up subtle details that would otherwise be lost with the limited dynamic range, just doesn't look like they've gone as far as clipping an A/D converter (It wasn't compression), which they did with the CD master. But the differences are not huge (Although the software you're using doesn't have dB meters, just numbers, which is useless) and are not necessarily perceptible.

Never trust what you see image wise, plus there are plenty of example of double blind testing with the same material where people are convinced they could hear a difference. Its difficult to make something sound worse than the BH&R CD though.

Edited by haze015

Haze will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you need to normalise both tracks to the same volume before you can compare the two. Then you run a double-blind listening (ABX) test in Foobar, which will ask you to compare A and B against X and Y. You will know what A and B are, but X and Y are random, eliminating the placebo effect. Then you repeat several times (at least) to eliminate lucky guesses.

Of course as said above, vinyl has artifacting which will affect the sound, and probably introduce an audible difference. Give it a try though, you might be surprised with the results.

Haze will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you need to normalise both tracks to the same volume before you can compare the two.

You need to make sure how loud you are listening to them is 100% the same, which is very difficult to do

What do you mean by normalising? Its usually used to raise/increase gain to a desire peak level, so wouldn't necessarily make them the same perceived level.