Progress of making a Mattocaster guitar myself.

Delorean

Which wood for the neck ? (and why)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which wood for the neck ? (and why)

• Curly Maple
    • Birds-eye Maple

No,no,no. It isn't glued yet,I just put the body and the mirror together to take a picture. I think I will be gluing after I did the pain job.:D

I can always order a new mirror (cover) and replace it

i take it from this you're not binding it?

i personally think that is a mistake. not having binding will make it look cheap. yes it will make it (slightly) easier for you to replace it if you want, but it will not be an easy task to replace the top and not bugger the finish up.

binding isnt that hard to do. i did it on my first guitar when i was 15/16 and knew nothing about anything.

also gluing on the top after finishing is a bad idea. much easier to mask off the mirror while you finish. remember you will have to clamp the top and your clamps will be on the finish on the back.

if i were you id glue it now and put binding on. if you're really that bothered about scratches that you'd replace it - just re-polish it. scratches are easily sanded off and polished up again.

i personally think that is a mistake. not having binding will make it look cheap. yes it will make it (slightly) easier for you to replace it if you want, but it will not be an easy task to replace the top and not bugger the finish up.

binding isnt that hard to do. i did it on my first guitar when i was 15/16 and knew nothing about anything.

also gluing on the top after finishing is a bad idea. much easier to mask off the mirror while you finish. remember you will have to clamp the top and your clamps will be on the finish on the back.

if i were you id glue it now and put binding on. if you're really that bothered about scratches that you'd replace it - just re-polish it. scratches are easily sanded off and polished up again.

+1

not that i know anything about guitar building, but i'd listen to this advice.

and there's the whole thing with moisture going in there and making the top come off, right?

and once you start playing the guitar, the perspex won't stay perfect. my guitar has plenty of light surface scratches and some wear too, but it's the finger prints that bother me.

new_close_up.jpg

the scratches really aren't that visible unless you look closely. i can't really see yours in any of the pictures except for the last one

Im not very experienced,so. What exactly is binding and how do you do it?:$

Im not very experienced,so. What exactly is binding and how do you do it?:$

eat certain types of food

No, see the picture above - it's the black part around the edge of the mirror. it's also on the necks of various guitars (like the necks of most gibson have creme colored binding on the fretboard)

to do it you have to route a small channel all around the edge. it would be easier to use a template bit with the bearing on the bottom, and get some smaller bearings so that the cut is the right size for the binding. to do this the mirror would already be stuck down, so you'd put some extra protection (masking tape) on the mirror to make sure the router base doesnt scratch it

Hooglebug,

I do believe you and think that it is right to do everything as you said,but....I have one problem - I'am in FU**ING RUSSIA :LOL::LOL:

It is vertially imposible to find the material in time,as I need to finish it before the end of May (I'm leaving Russia for 3 months - going to USA for work experience)

This guitar doesn't seem to have bindings - and it doesn't look cheap at all. (My finish is also chrome/silverish)

Manson%20Lazer.jpg

:rolleyes:

Ok.This is what Im going to do:

I will do everything as I was going to (I know it is a bad decision) and then when I come back I will most probably change the mirror and put bindings on as well.:)

It is not going to explode or anything without the bindings - so I think I'll give it a wait.:$

Opinions?

to do it you have to route a small channel all around the edge. it would be easier to use a template bit with the bearing on the bottom, and get some smaller bearings so that the cut is the right size for the binding. to do this the mirror would already be stuck down, so you'd put some extra protection (masking tape) on the mirror to make sure the router base doesnt scratch it

Hi! I'm building guitar and have the same problem with bindings, can you help my with this stuff?

First of all i do not have a router as is, do you think i can use my dlink dir-300 router to make a channel?

About bearings... in soviet russian we have a lot of bears on the streets, so i can catch one. My gipsy friends can ring it up, so... do you think it is possible for me to make a bearing at home?

RusBear.jpg

I will do everything as I was going to (I know it is a bad decision) and then when I come back I will most probably change the mirror and put bindings on as well.:)

It is not going to explode or anything without the bindings - so I think I'll give it a wait.:$

Opinions?

at the end of the day its your guitar and you can do whatever the hell you want with it. if you want to fill it with water and put a goldfish in it then its your call. if you do it how you want and you like it then thats all that matters really

Hooglebug,

I do believe you and think that it is right to do everything as you said,but....I have one problem - I'am in FU**ING RUSSIA :LOL::LOL:

It is vertially imposible to find the material in time,as I need to finish it before the end of May (I'm leaving Russia for 3 months - going to USA for work experience)

This guitar doesn't seem to have bindings - and it doesn't look cheap at all. (My finish is also chrome/silverish)

Manson%20Lazer.jpg

:rolleyes:

Ok.This is what Im going to do:

Opinions?

Why not wait three months to get back and finish it 100% properly? I, personally, would rather have a fantastic guitar after a bit of waiting, than just do it up quickly and have it right now. It's your guitar of course, but I say you should resume construction when you come back, rather than just slap it together quickly. I don't think this should be rushed. Good things are worth waiting for ;)

I appreciate the need for a guitar while you're away, but it's May 23, dude... at this stage of construction, I cannot see a fully working guitar by the end of this month. On top of doing all the gluing and finishing (the lacquer could take up to a week to dry properly - and about a month if you use nitrocellulose!), you've got all the electronics to solder in.

I honestly can't see this being all finished up before the end of the month. This is indeed your guitar, and you can do as you please. But my advice would be to get yourself a cheap little travel guitar to keep you sustained while you're away, and leave the big toy at home, so you can have tons of time to finish it up 100% properly when you get back. Just my opinion.

And also... I can't quite believe that you can find mirror perspex, but not binding material!!!

Check out Stew Mac's bindings. I have ordered from Stew Mac in the past - just recently in fact - and the service has been exceptional. I had to wait a couple of weeks to get my stuff, but that's because I chose the basic overseas shipping option. If you choose the more expensive express, you could have the stuff right to your door in a matter of days.

Why not wait three months to get back and finish it 100% properly? I, personally, would rather have a fantastic guitar after a bit of waiting, than just do it up quickly and have it right now. It's your guitar of course, but I say you should resume construction when you come back, rather than just slap it together quickly. I don't think this should be rushed. Good things are worth waiting for ;)

I appreciate the need for a guitar while you're away, but it's May 23, dude... at this stage of construction, I cannot see a fully working guitar by the end of this month. On top of doing all the gluing and finishing (the lacquer could take up to a week to dry properly - and about a month if you use nitrocellulose!), you've got all the electronics to solder in.

I honestly can't see this being all finished up before the end of the month. This is indeed your guitar, and you can do as you please. But my advice would be to get yourself a cheap little travel guitar to keep you sustained while you're away, and leave the big toy at home, so you can have tons of time to finish it up 100% properly when you get back. Just my opinion.

And also... I can't quite believe that you can find mirror perspex, but not binding material!!!

Check out Stew Mac's bindings. I have ordered from Stew Mac in the past - just recently in fact - and the service has been exceptional. I had to wait a couple of weeks to get my stuff, but that's because I chose the basic overseas shipping option. If you choose the more expensive express, you could have the stuff right to your door in a matter of days.

I'm not going to rush it,but it is possible that it might be finished :rolleyes:

I'm not going to rush it,but it is possible that it might be finished :rolleyes:

come on now, it isn't possible to fully finish in 7 days :LOL: multiple layers of finish are going to take at least 2-3 weeks at the least, gluing will take 24 hours at a time, and all the electronics are going to take a good day or so... Then after all of that it needs a few days to settle aswell!

If I were you, do what little work you can do now, Dont start the finishing though, and look into/read up on binding.. a finishing touch of black binding around the mirror edge will give it a really nice final appearance, worth the wait.

come on now, it isn't possible to fully finish in 7 days :LOL: multiple layers of finish are going to take at least 2-3 weeks at the least, gluing will take 24 hours at a time, and all the electronics are going to take a good day or so... Then after all of that it needs a few days to settle aswell!

If I were you, do what little work you can do now, Dont start the finishing though, and look into/read up on binding.. a finishing touch of black binding around the mirror edge will give it a really nice final appearance, worth the wait.

Sorry Del, but I absolutely have to agree with this! I simply cannot see this being fully finished up in a week.

Trust me - it would be far better to wait a few months for a positively stonking guitar, than just have a quick, unfinished job right now. Just my $0.02.

I have time until the 3rd of June (so 3 more days added),still hard to get it all done.

What if,I do everything BUT not do the binding. Then,say in December I strip down the mirror and put binding on + new mirror as well) ? :rolleyes:

Archived