Progress of making a Mattocaster guitar myself.

Delorean

Which wood for the neck ? (and why)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which wood for the neck ? (and why)

• Curly Maple
    • Birds-eye Maple

Im soon starting to start making a mattocaster guitar.

I'll be posting all the information about what Im doing.

I have created this thread so you guys could maybe help me if Im stuck or if I need suggestions about my job here.

Thats my first template showing the sizing of the Mattocaster guitar.

Shape: Mattocaster (The one Im making is the furthest to the right on my template)

Body: Mahogany

Body Top, sides and back of the guitar: Mirror Perspex Acrylic :rolleyes:

Neck: Curly maple or Birds-eye maple

Fingereboard: Rosewood

Number of frets: 24 :eek:

Bolt-on (neck to body)

Scale length; 647.7mm (25.5inches)

Thickness at the top of the neck: 43mm

Thickness on the last fret: 56mm

Thickness on the first fret: 19mm

Thickness on the 12th fret: 21mm

Radius: 400mm

Locking nut (Ibanez)

Ibanez Edge Lo Pro Tremolo (Chrome)

3-way les paul switch (replacing the FSK-401 5-way)

Killswitch

Frenandes Sustainer Kit 401

Zvex Fuzz Factory (with 4 knobs(gate,stab,drive,comp))

Mansons MBK-2 Bridge Humbucker

Not sure about machine heads, gotoh 510 are to expensive for what they are.

Feel free to ask any questions that are to do with my work ;)

1168280486_TemplateBODY.jpg.48277d1fc7d89a86dbade011964d83b7.jpg

1692928319_TemplateNECK.jpg.6e770fb1d57e1793e2a271fa76a38250.jpg

I'm guessing you wanted me to reply here from that PM, but it looks like you have it planned out quite well which is important. (seems that most people jump into it without knowing what they want to do)

Specs look great. I'm not sure what to suggest for tuning heads to be honest...gotohs are my favorite (with grovers as a close second, which I've put on pretty much every gibson i've had) - there are cheaper gotohs than the 510s that are still excellent quality. I just got my guitar fixed up by Mansons and the cost of the height adjustable 510's (HAPs) was $115 or something like that! They're great tuners, but not cheap at all.. keep in mind that if you're not going to have staggered/height adjustable tuners, you'll need a string tree.

it was only a matter of time!

13 votes and one explanation?

i prefer birds-eye...i think this would look a bit nicer as a top wood to be honest.

CurlyMaple.jpg

I think what's most important is that it doesn't warp or anything. they both look great, but it's up to you.

it was only a matter of time!

13 votes and one explanation?

i prefer birds-eye...i think this would look a bit nicer as a top wood to be honest.

CurlyMaple.jpg

I think what's most important is that it doesn't warp or anything. they both look great, but it's up to you.

What do you mean by "top wood" ?

Do you think it is worth paying 260$ for the one of a kind grade birds-eye maple or just get a 160$ excelent grade birds-eye which is the same but just doesn't look as nice?

What do you mean by "top wood" ?

Do you think it is worth paying 260$ for the one of a kind grade birds-eye maple or just get a 160$ excelent grade birds-eye which is the same but just doesn't look as nice?

I mean like the maple top on a les paul for example - you have the back wood which is mahogany, and the top wood which can be maple of various types (plain, flame, etc).

And I'm not sure to be honest - If it's equally as stable, it might be if it looks noticeably better.

I mean like the maple top on a les paul for example - you have the back wood which is mahogany, and the top wood which can be maple of various types (plain, flame, etc).

And I'm not sure to be honest - If it's equally as stable, it might be if it looks noticeably better.

http://www.birdseyemaple.com/birdseye-maple/sap-oneofakind.jpg

the one on the right is the 260$ and the one on the left is 160$. Have a look. :D

Yeah it does look a lot better - I'd say it's worth it.

I agree..it looks much better.

OP, you mentioned in your original post that you want 24 frets and a sustainer. The 24 frets is gonna push the sustainer pretty close to the bridge pickup and its possible you could get some interference. Just something to watch out for.

I'm covering the top, back and sides of the body with Perspex acrylic mirror. (to whom alredy did so)

how could I make it look neat and tidy? I've seen a few done and most of them didn't look so good. I need to know more about how to cover with mirror besically :)

any suggestions ?

Archived