Progress of making a Mattocaster guitar myself.

Delorean

Which wood for the neck ? (and why)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which wood for the neck ? (and why)

• Curly Maple
    • Birds-eye Maple

for the killswitch popping, did you put a capacitor in there between it and ground?

No I haven't. I know that it should fix the problem,I'll do it later :)

Mansons said that they will have a look at the sustainer and will check all the wiring for 30 pounds an hour. Sounds good if there is not much to do,but if there is - then Im fucked :LOL:

Wowzah :stongue:

If you're taking it to Manson's, why not have them apply the bindings too? Just a thought.

because that would cost at least £150 and you may well have to have the finish touched up or even refinished to add more onto the price.

because that would cost at least £150 and you may well have to have the finish touched up or even refinished to add more onto the price.

This.

I have to get the perspex mirror replaced,because it has a few annoying scratches - big ones. I just want to get it all perfect :p

This.

I have to get the perspex mirror replaced,because it has a few annoying scratches - big ones. I just want to get it all perfect :p

Fair enough :)

I must say, it does look amazing. The single-sized Sustainer and the bridge humbucker, along with the Mattocaster shape and the trem, just makes it look really neat :)

This.

thing is, it'll get scratched and worn after a while anyway.

on mine, the spot where you rest your arm isn't quite as shiny as the rest, and there are scratches everywhere. not from abuse, but from being played :)

and yeah, the bridge does look a bit raised. the saddles are all in the same position, so i don't think it can intonate like that.

thing is, it'll get scratched and worn after a while anyway.

on mine, the spot where you rest your arm isn't quite as shiny as the rest, and there are scratches everywhere. not from abuse, but from being played :)

and yeah, the bridge does look a bit raised. the saddles are all in the same position, so i don't think it can intonate like that.

Although it seems like you enjoy the cloudiness from your own playing, since its just acrylic you could easily polish it right back up

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome. Well if you dont mind me asking what did the total cost come to?

Awesome. Well if you dont mind me asking what did the total cost come to?

I have payed about 800 pounds for all the hardware (i.e.Pick-up,Sustainer,Fuzz Factory,Trem,Locking Nut etc). + about 200 (ish) pounds for the wood.

Acrylica Mirror was about 60 pounds + 20 pounds for cutting.

Obviously there is more to add on,like the frets,knobs - but I didnt count that. Lets say it was 50 pounds (max)

Sub Total: 1130 pounds

But,unfortunatelly the customs in Russia are very gay,so they asked for 300 pounds (!!!) - This is because I have ordered all the hardware from UK and USA. This is my fault though,because I have put the price of the products on the box so it would be under waranty.:$

Total: 1430 pounds

This is not including the money I'm going to give to Mansons for fixing the sustainer (btw,it works in the normal mode and mix mode) + the bindings and a new piece of acrylic mirror. :(

$1430 GBP? Ouch :erm:

Where'd you buy the wood? 200 is pretty steep. I would usually only spend not to much more than half of that and that's with good quality wood.

$800 for the hardware is not so good either. I've been planning a build that is basically the same as this guitar with the same quality parts except with Mississippi Queen pickups, and the max price came out to around $1200 AUD includng shipping etc. which is a just about half the amount of your guitar, so I don't know where your buying your stuff from, but that's damn expensive.

The guitar turned out fantastic though. Every time I see this thread with a bold title I get excited and always come in here looking for updates. I'm sure that once its in full working order it will all definitely be worth it ;)

$1430 GBP? Ouch :erm:

Where'd you buy the wood? 200 is pretty steep. I would usually only spend not to much more than half of that and that's with good quality wood.

$800 for the hardware is not so good either. I've been planning a build that is basically the same as this guitar with the same quality parts except with Mississippi Queen pickups, and the max price came out to around $1200 AUD includng shipping etc. which is a just about half the amount of your guitar, so I don't know where your buying your stuff from, but that's damn expensive.

The guitar turned out fantastic though. Every time I see this thread with a bold title I get excited and always come in here looking for updates. I'm sure that once its in full working order it will all definitely be worth it ;)

200 GBP for the wood I got is ok,as I bought a massive piece of mahogany and the best quality birds eye maple.

Fuzz Factory + Sustainer + Tremolo + Humbucker + Machineheads = :eek:

___200______+___250___+__120__+____100____+_____80______= 750 GBP

+ all the small parts!

Thanks!:p

Hopefully Mansons will help me to sort out the wiring...

In October I will put bindings on - so look forward to that :rolleyes:

Fuzz Factory + Sustainer + Tremolo + Humbucker + Machineheads = :eek:

___200______+___250___+__120__+____100____+_____80______= 750 GBP

+ all the small parts!

I suppose so, I remember now with mine I only had the fuzz at $40AUD cause I was going to make it myself and there's not many parts in it. Same goes with the pickups, I was going to wind them myself to Bare Knuckle spec.

Can't wait for a video of this guitar in action :awesome:

• 2 weeks later...
I suppose so, I remember now with mine I only had the fuzz at $40AUD cause I was going to make it myself and there's not many parts in it. Same goes with the pickups, I was going to wind them myself to Bare Knuckle spec.

Can't wait for a video of this guitar in action :awesome:

I tried to make a fuzz as a project until I could save enough for my guitar... It didn't turn out so great. I followed wiring diagrams, videos and tutorials but could not get the guitar to play through it. Makes perfect squeals though (if a bit quiet even on full volume) but i only payed out around £30 for all the parts and learned a lot form doing it. Just trust me it's not as easy as it seems, unless of course you have prior knowledge (which I didn't) in which case you should be fine ;) Good luck :D

Archived