Okay then. That was initially what I thought first as well, since it is very noticeable. But there's another song I can't remember that has some distortion to it as well, and I always thought it was because Matthew screams so damn high. xD

• 2 years later...

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-howie-weinberg/834932-mastering-muse-black-holes.html

Q&A from a few months back with Howie Weinberg, who mastered the album. He's not a fan of brickwall limiting and prefers to just use clipping from overloading A/D converters - http://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-howie-weinberg/840441-what-digital-brickwall-limiter-do-you-use-most.html

Amazing stuff, even if i don't understand the tech part, :LOL:

Always suspected the mastering of BH&R isn't as good as TR or T2L.

With the TR Chris was amazed with the audio DVD. A good remastering of their discography could be great, now the Bluray is more common, will be a good idea release the remastered stuff in cd and bluray.

Muse record their live shows, so with every album they could offer a live rendition of it (like Reading but with selected tracks from previous gigs).

But you've also got to consider the rising popularity in vinyl and people's listening habits have changed, the death of the hi-fi industry and the rise in popularity of portable devices.

A little while back, I was reading a scientific study that exactly lead to the conclusion that people couldn't actually hear the difference between 16 & 24 bit audio in double blind tests.

I'd still pay good money for a remaster, though. Something to give the instruments a bit more "space".

My point was more about buying into the bullshit surrounding fidelity of digital formats. It is pretty fucked up that PCM audio at 16 44.1kHz has existed since the 80's and people these days are excited by formats such as FLAC. :LOL:

Probably will see remasters in time. The music industry does love to find ways to sell you the same music over & over again.

My point was more about buying into the bullshit surrounding fidelity of digital formats. It is pretty fucked up that PCM audio at 16 44.1kHz has existed since the 80's and people these days are excited by formats such as FLAC. :LOL:

Probably will see remasters in time. The music industry does love to find ways to sell you the same music over & over again.

True, but this is one of the few albums I'd pay to get remastered. Along with Metallica's first four, found some amateur ones that really bring out Burton's bass riffs and the songs sound so much better as a result.

I thought flac hype was more that it was more compressable for space.

And I guess for those that care, the fact that it's free.

More hassle as it is not supported by everything, only manages to compress to half the file size of PCM. Just seems a massive waste of time to me, could be beneficial for portable devices, but those in audiophile terms are pretty much shite anyway.

More hassle as it is not supported by everything, only manages to compress to half the file size of PCM. Just seems a massive waste of time to me, could be beneficial for portable devices, but those in audiophile terms are pretty much shite anyway.

FLAC is still quite bad for portable devices for space and power usage, but much better for enconding the music for those. ;)

Archived