Guest Batman.

Doncaster is possibly just within reach ;) Quite a few gigs coming up in the next few weeks, expect moar videos. Plus we're just mixing our demo for Hole In My Pocket, I'll post it here when its done.

I would actually really recommend playing in Sheffield, they've got a great music scene there :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_qNo5k3ZjM

Very rough recording.

Feel free to skip through (lack of a singer atm makes them a bit boring) and excuse the strange audience members (family and friends). We've got another 8 songs or so, and our best few weren't recorded :(.

Honestly this is the best vid we've got audio wise :rolleyes:

A couple of recordings from ages ago -

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/blockade-2/destroy-the-killer[/soundcloud]

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/blockade-2/ventriloquism[/soundcloud]

Edited by Lord MFC

I wanna hear you sing.

Only have time to watch a bit of it, so I watched the end. That tremolo picking bit sounds nice, I like your drummer.

I'm a really shit singer. Yeah it's sort of Pink Floyd-esque that bit. Yeah she's an insane drummer, on one of our jazzy/funky ones I literally have no clue how she moves her arms so quickly.

Guest Batman.
I'm a really shit singer. Yeah it's sort of Pink Floyd-esque that bit. Yeah she's an insane drummer, on one of our jazzy/funky ones I literally have no clue how she moves her arms so quickly.

Yeah I was getting a pink floyd vibe from it actually.

I get the impression it'd sound pretty good in person, however I must recommend you buy decent recording equipment :LOL:

So our bassist Dan is doing a Music Tech course at college, so we were able to get a few hours in there to record a quick demo of Hole In My Pocket. Nothing too fancy, but enough to hopefully help us spread the word and get a few more gigs to add to our little list of dates.

This is only a very rough mix and theres still a fair bit to be done, but so far its sounding fairly nice methinks. If we get a chance over the next week or so, I want to lay down some guitar overdubs. It sounds a little bare to me, so I want to throw in a solo or two to liven it up a bit. My vocals are still making me cringe a bit though :facepalm:

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/alex-porritt/the-tenants-hole-in-my[/soundcloud]

For anyone whos interested in the gear, thats Daphne, the Biyang OD-8 I bought the other week, and the 60s Vox AC30. I have no idea what microphones or anything were used, I leave that to Dan (who is playing on a rather nice 5 String Aria).

Its being mixed on some form of Cubase. I think. I really have no idea, I just strum and make noises into the microphone :happy:

Edited by IntelligentAl

Guest Batman.

Sounding great, the vocals have definitely improved too :awesome:

However I am going to contribute some unasked for constructive criticism.

I'm not really liking some of the changes made from the version you did at that record audition thing.

For instance, the bits where the guitar bit sort of goes up a half step before playing the next bit.. it's difficult to describe :LOL: First appears at 0:22.

The parts where the vocals are distorted I didn't personally like either.

Obviously it's only my personal opinion, and a lot of people will probably disagree with me, but I just think that the song sounded really good when it was all clean and bluesy, and this version is more TV-show-theme-tune-ish, or more generic rock or something.

Iunno, it works well together as a whole, but I'm definitely liking the live version more :LOL:

Still a great song ofc.

Oh and I'm liking the new OD pedal :LOL:

/massivepost

So our bassist Dan is doing a Music Tech course at college, so we were able to get a few hours in there to record a quick demo of Hole In My Pocket. Nothing too fancy, but enough to hopefully help us spread the word and get a few more gigs to add to our little list of dates.

This is only a very rough mix and theres still a fair bit to be done, but so far its sounding fairly nice methinks. If we get a chance over the next week or so, I want to lay down some guitar overdubs. It sounds a little bare to me, so I want to throw in a solo or two to liven it up a bit. My vocals are still making me cringe a bit though :facepalm:

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/alex-porritt/the-tenants-hole-in-my[/soundcloud]

For anyone whos interested in the gear, thats Daphne, the Biyang OD-8 I bought the other week, and the 60s Vox AC30. I have no idea what microphones or anything were used, I leave that to Dan (who is playing on a rather nice 5 String Aria).

Its being mixed on some form of Cubase. I think. I really have no idea, I just strum and make noises into the microphone :happy:

I'm loving it! your singing is awesome, and I love the bass solo thing too :)

The parts where the vocals are distorted I didn't personally like either.

I disagree, needs more of the distorted bits.

Edit: and I liked the new "bits where the guitar sort of goes up a half step before playing the next bit.. it's difficult to describe :LOL: First appears at 0:22" :phu:

Edited by Lord MFC

My only criticism is that I think the vocals (which are great) come in a bit too late. You could easily have them comes in at about :20.

Buts thats only personal preference.

Thanks for the feedback guys :D

/massivepost

For a lot of this, I do actually agree with you. I mean I like this demo, but a little part of me prefers the rawness of the live version. I actually kinda miss all the mistakes and bum notes. This ones a little too (I dont wanna say polished because it still needs work, but...) polished. I actually get what you mean about the TV theme tune thing :LOL:

I disagree, needs more of the distorted bits.

Edit: and I liked the new "bits where the guitar sort of goes up a half step before playing the next bit.. it's difficult to describe :LOL: First appears at 0:22" :phu:

Haha, the vocal distortion was one of my only contributions to the mixing phase of the recording. I was all like 'DAN, PUT DISTORTION ON THIS ONE BIT OF VOCALS, IT'LL SOUND EPIC LIKE MUSE' and Dan was all like 'NO IT WONT IT WILL SOUND LIKE SHIT' and I was just all like 'PUT THE DISTORTION ON YOU NOB I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT HERE'.

Moral of the story is that I hate it and Dan should never have listened to me.

As for the going up a half step thing, I'm not exactly sure which bit you mean, but if its what I think youre talking about then thats something I'm still trying to make my mind up on. I play it differently every time we do it because I can't decide which I like best :$

Pretty good, I get a bit of a Black Keys vibe from it for some reason

I love you :kiss:

Actually its not too surprising because the bridge is almost a complete rip off of the ending to Tighten Up. If I remember rightly, I wrote the song after listening to Tighten Up and didnt actually copy it intentionally, but a little while later I realised that it was the same chords and everything. Shameful.

Great vocals.

My only criticism is that I think the vocals (which are great) come in a bit too late. You could easily have them comes in at about :20.

Buts thats only personal preference.

Cheers guys. I must say, the vocals were actually the bit I was most unsure about, so thank god for positive feedback :awesome:

Logan, do you mean you think it could do without the intro?

Longan, do you mean you think it could do without the intro?

I just think that the vocal could come in at :20 instead of :33. I just played it like that and I think it gives the song more of a sudden start. Like I said, just personal preference

I love you :kiss:

Actually its not too surprising because the bridge is almost a complete rip off of the ending to Tighten Up. If I remember rightly, I wrote the song after listening to Tighten Up and didnt actually copy it intentionally, but a little while later I realised that it was the same chords and everything. Shameful.

That might be why :LOL

I felt the vocals had a slight hint of Black Keys too

Guest Batman.
For a lot of this, I do actually agree with you. I mean I like this demo, but a little part of me prefers the rawness of the live version. I actually kinda miss all the mistakes and bum notes. This ones a little too (I dont wanna say polished because it still needs work, but...) polished. I actually get what you mean about the TV theme tune thing :LOL:

As for the going up a half step thing, I'm not exactly sure which bit you mean, but if its what I think youre talking about then thats something I'm still trying to make my mind up on. I play it differently every time we do it because I can't decide which I like best :$

YES, that is exactly what I was thinking. Too processed/polished/that sort of thing.

Hmm, this is very difficult to describe. I've took the liberty of attempting to teach myself the song, in order to tab it, in order to show you :LOL:

I think that these are the chords for the very beginning bit..

E||--9-------9--------------7-----5------0----------|

B||--10-----9------12-----7-----5------0----------|

G||--11-----10----10-----7-----6------1----------|

D||--11-----11-------------9-----7------2----------|

A||--9-------11----11-----9-----7------2-----------|

E||-----------9------9------7-----5------0-----------|

However I've just realised this bit is unrelated as I think you go into 5th chords for the bit I'm talking about.. erm..

E||----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

B||----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

G||--11----------------------------------------------------------------------|

D||--11-----11----11----10----11-----10----9-----7------2----------|

A||--9-------11----11----10----11-----10----9-----7------2-----------|

E||-----------9------9------8------9------8-----7-----5------0-----------|

THAT BOLD BIT. That's the bastard.

I don't think you play that live, and in my opinion it sounds much better without it.

Yes I just spent fucking ages doing this. Appreciate me, you bastards.

Edited by Batman.

I just think that the vocal could come in at :20 instead of :33. I just played it like that and I think it gives the song more of a sudden start. Like I said, just personal preference

yeah, I agree actually.

Band practice tomorrow, I shall give it a go and see which the guys prefer :)

I felt the vocals had a slight hint of Black Keys too

I take this as a huge compliment. Along with Bellorz, Dan Auerbach is my favourite vocalist, so cheers :D

/anothermassivepost

Massive props to you Harley, you were actually nearly spot on :LOL:

I now know the bit you were on about, and yeah thats the bit I'm indecisive about. I tend not to play it loud because the full chords as I usually play them tend to fill out the sound a bit more in a live situation, but I put them in for the recording just to mix things up a little and add a little variety. I can see what you mean though. Gonna need a think about which I use in the future. I was actually planning on playing those parts with the fuzz pedal, which does sound somewhat more preferable, but alas time constraints put an end to that.

But still, massive props for tabbing it so closely :D

Guest Batman.
Band practice tomorrow, I shall give it a go and see which the guys prefer :)

I take this as a huge compliment. Along with Bellorz, Dan Auerbach is my favourite vocalist, so cheers :D

Massive props to you Harley, you were actually nearly spot on :LOL:

I now know the bit you were on about, and yeah thats the bit I'm indecisive about. I tend not to play it loud because the full chords as I usually play them tend to fill out the sound a bit more in a live situation, but I put them in for the recording just to mix things up a little and add a little variety. I can see what you mean though. Gonna need a think about which I use in the future. I was actually planning on playing those parts with the fuzz pedal, which does sound somewhat more preferable, but alas time constraints put an end to that.

But still, massive props for tabbing it so closely :D

I bet you feel like a right badass now, you've actually had someone make a tab of your song :LOL: Might complete it and submit it to Ultimate Guitar or some shit.

I think it'd sound good live every so often, I just personally think the actual recording should just be the simple version - however obviously it's going to be better in a live situation to add little kinks and things sometimes :LOL:

By the way, your blog is hilarious :LOL: