Manson Guitars & Tanks III: built to last; military grade

james90

In your case, #soon is relative.

Haha, yes indeed. My first custom took about two years in the end, though not all of that was their fault. This one's taken almost as long though, because I ordered it in mid-2016, and it feels like they've been saying soon for ages too. It sounds like it should actually be finished this weekend though, but I don't know then how long things like international shipping and customs clearance usually take. So we'll see.

Haha, yes indeed. My first custom took about two years in the end, though not all of that was their fault. This one's taken almost as long though, because I ordered it in mid-2016, and it feels like they've been saying soon for ages too. It sounds like it should actually be finished this weekend though, but I don't know then how long things like international shipping and customs clearance usually take. So we'll see.

I think at this point, they've probably sent a number of guitars to Thailand, so you have nothing to worry about... unless they can't find the house again

Well, I'm sure you're aware im not a big guy, so big heavy guitars have always been an issue for me, especially when I started playing. Back then getting a good guitar without spending big money was very difficult.

Now listen here son. I've been playing since the 60s and....

Wait.

But yes, I can understand that. What were the options at the time? I know your first 'good' guitar was the MIJ Strat, and I wouldn't think that's a terribly heavy one, but like you say... there were FAR less affordable good quality ones back then.

Well, I'm not sure what the options were really like then, I was only 10 when I got my first guitar. But basically, there were a LOT of plywood Strat copies around!

Squires were about but the pricing of those would have been what you'd get a Mexican Strat for these days.

Behold, the plywood beauty that is my first Encore strat copy!

edit: James, if my math is correct, you're only three years older than my guitar :)

FWIW, my MIJ is way lighter than the Encore, but its still pretty weighty.

Edited by Jaicen

Did you get it new? Those pickups look proper aged

How thick is the veneer on the MIJ? I'm guessing it's not thick enough to add any significant weight to it

And what you really need is a guitar from your birth year. Like sherpa_man and his 1981 LP customs... which I believe he no longer owns. #NorlinEra

I got it brand new yeah, in December 1992 I believe, so it's got plenty of years on it. Also it's never had a case, and it's not been cleaned for over 10 years so, you know :)

The MIJ is a 'Foto-Flame', so it doesn't have a true veneered top. As far as I'm aware, it has a Basswood body (could be Alder, not sure) with a photographic film laid on the top. As such I don't think it adds a lot of weight, the finish itself probably weighs a pound or more, it looks about 3-5mm thick, hard poly. Cracks like a motherfucker though :(

And yeah, I do need a birth year guitar. I have got an 80's Greco Roland GR guitar, but I think that's an '80 or '81, i'm not sure how to date it. I really don't know if I want an '83 G700 lol.

They make some grim looking guitars now don't they

Well if the customer wants it... like that guy from New Zealand wanted a fuzz factory in Olly's pelham MA... or THAT guy who requested a mini X-Y in your sxc stealth...

Unrelated, but have you still got your unsustainable MIDI file? I think I've got the first "drop" pretty close (haven't started the mid section yet) but need to do some minor adjustments in the automation. Wouldn't mind seeing what you have to compare.

I wish! If you find one let me know??

I'll look it up, it's one of the later (less well specc'd) ones.

This was sold ages ago, but any thoughts?

That's pretty much exactly what i'd want especially if that's brass hardware for MOAR SUSTAINS.

I know they did them with set necks or thru necks, of which i'd prefer the latter.

Also, I did look it up and it seems the Foto Flames had alder bodies with basswood caps? I guess they applied the film to the cap? Makes not much sense to me, but mine is flamey front and back.

That's pretty much exactly what i'd want especially if that's brass hardware for MOAR SUSTAINS.

I know they did them with set necks or thru necks, of which i'd prefer the latter.

Also, I did look it up and it seems the Foto Flames had alder bodies with basswood caps? I guess they applied the film to the cap? Makes not much sense to me, but mine is flamey front and back.

I think it was usually the handmade parts that were brass, but I might be wrong. If that's the usual schaller bridge and tailpiece, I think those are actually made of steel, but the saddles are brass.

Have you definitely seen them with set necks?

And that is unusual. Maybe not as unusual as a mahogany cap over an ash body though :erm: #ToneRecipe

I suppose you could tell for sure by looking inside the neck pocket.