Manson Guitars & Tanks III: built to last; military grade

james90

Well, my guitar has made it as far as being in the right country in about two days which is pretty impressive. On the other hand, it sounds like it's going to spend the next week or so in customs clearance to compensate. *sigh*

I don't know how long it usually takes in Thailand, but that isn't unreasonable.

Could be much worse:

E6DpsEe.jpg

I don't think I really posted what happened on here, and probably shouldn't knowing you haven't received your guitar yet. :erm:

Haha, ouch, didn't you have a huge delay when you first got your MB-1 too? I think I was only lurking in here back then but I seem to remember you waiting ages to get it.

I don't think it should take too long here, maybe into the middle of the coming week, but the drawback is they seem to heavily overcharge on taxes. The last thing I tried to import, they were asking me to pay the same price I bought it for in taxes, and when I sent my amp over after I moved, they charged half the value again.

A bit worried about how much this one will cost yet.

Yeah I did, but that took half as long. I'm not exaggerating either... that one above was the custom, and then there was a Cort TC with it, which took about two months. Also not exaggerating about that...

We threatened to open a claim on the custom after several excuses, false delivery dates, blaming the delays on customs, etc... but that one finally showed up...

The Cort on the other hand WAS lost and we did put a claim in. The shipping company (same one as always, but can't be too careful here...) actually admitted they couldn't find it anywhere.

But somehow the following day, they made it appear out of nowhere when the word claim was mentioned. Probably not too surprising, as there's not really any way to blame that kind of situation on the shipper or recipient.

I still absolutely adore the raindrops-in-a-puddle look of the aluminium finish on that guitar. It's really what I wanted when I ordered mine, but I can't complain with what I got, haha! They're both great!

Anyway, not much, had to get some paperwork from Mansons first and will now have to get that over to the customs people to try and clear it. I'm going away for the weekend on Friday afternoon though, so I'd be very surprised now if I get it before early next week.

I still absolutely adore the raindrops-in-a-puddle look of the aluminium finish on that guitar. It's really what I wanted when I ordered mine, but I can't complain with what I got, haha! They're both great!

Anyway, not much, had to get some paperwork from Mansons first and will now have to get that over to the customs people to try and clear it. I'm going away for the weekend on Friday afternoon though, so I'd be very surprised now if I get it before early next week.

How's yours looking now? I gave mine a deep cleaning with that lighter fluid stuff a while back and it actually made a pretty big difference.

And I don't mind waiting a few extra days if you don't... really.... it's not a big deal. :twitchy:

I'm used to it by now, haha! The other one's still looking good. It stays pretty clean by itself to be honest. I spray it down from time to time which makes a little difference, but really it more or less takes care of itself actually. I actually find it's the frets and strings on the MB-1 that seem to get dirty really quickly, but I'm not sure why it's different, whether because of the wood in the fretboard, or that the custom has all that extra metal to spread the moisture round or something. It's weird, haha!

I thought about your post during breakfast today, and came to the conclusion that it's possible that your MB-1 gets dirty quicker because you play it more.

Is your new one still stuck in customs or have they released it yet?

https://www.mansonguitarworks.com/index.cfm/categories/cort-mod-shop-34

Still needs the Jaicen spec Classic TC... if not, I'll have to modify mine to that spec.

I thought about your post during breakfast today, and came to the conclusion that it's possible that your MB-1 gets dirty quicker because you play it more.

I don't though, haha! If I play them the same amount over the same time period, the MB-1s frets get dirtier and the strings get rustier compared to the custom. I don't know why but I've noticed it for a while. I seem to have to clean the frets and strings down on the MB-1 about two or three times more often, haha! The other one seems to stay fine for much longer somehow...

I'm going away for the weekend on Friday afternoon though, so I'd be very surprised now if I get it before early next week.

You're currently online. Does that mean you came back after breakfast this morning to find custom #2 waiting on your door step?

... in the rain?

Haha, no, I'm still away, but checking the internet generally on my phone. The guitar hasn't been clearer yet as far as I know, but the FedEx person said they'd try and get it done tomorrow with some luck. I did have an awful dream last night though that Muse announced one of their by request shows in Bangkok at about six hours notice and I couldn't get tickets, before realising I'm hours away anyway and wouldn't be able to get back in time even if I did. It was a weird night, haha! On my way back now anyway, but I will hopefully have the new guitar in the next few days. I've got some free afternoons to try it out I think as well, which will be good. Haven't actually had time to play at all for a couple of weeks now.

Haha, no, I'm still away, but checking the internet generally on my phone. The guitar hasn't been clearer yet as far as I know, but the FedEx person said they'd try and get it done tomorrow with some luck. I did have an awful dream last night though that Muse announced one of their by request shows in Bangkok at about six hours notice and I couldn't get tickets, before realising I'm hours away anyway and wouldn't be able to get back in time even if I did. It was a weird night, haha! On my way back now anyway, but I will hopefully have the new guitar in the next few days. I've got some free afternoons to try it out I think as well, which will be good. Haven't actually had time to play at all for a couple of weeks now.

pcMMiGB.png

So have they cleared it yet?

Indeed. It was cleared yesterday and I finally got it today. First thoughts were about how much black guitars show up dust and wondering if the case latches and frets for my other guitars really used to be that shiny too, haha! A couple of years here will soon take care of that! Anyway, I've just been testing it out and making sure it all works. So far so good. :)

Haha, sorry! I don't have any photos yet though and as you asked about it, I thought you'd like to know either way. I did try to get a picture on my phone but it didn't really work that well unfortunately. The finish is very, very subtle, so without the right light it pretty much looks just like plain black really. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get something better with my camera but I'll try that when I can. Probably not today though, I'm afraid. For what it's worth, it sounds maybe 80% like my other custom, and 20% like the MB-1, or something like that, but feels kind of different to either. I think the action's lower so it feels very fast and smooth, but I also have to be more precise when I'm playing if that makes sense.

Glad you've finally got it :) How long was the build time from ordering? I'd like to think the build times for customs would be quicker now since they've moved into a bigger workshop.

It's been about 1 year 9 months since I ordered it, which has been absolutely ages, haha! The move to the new workshop did delay things even more than they already were though, so yeah, hopefully they'll be quicker now. What are you planning?

It's been about 1 year 9 months since I ordered it, which has been absolutely ages, haha! The move to the new workshop did delay things even more than they already were though, so yeah, hopefully they'll be quicker now. What are you planning?

I thought it'd be longer! Still a crazy amount of time to wait though...

The custom I've had in mind is an MA-X in a style between a Rickenbacker 330 and a Maton 1200. It's more likely I'll just get a Maton to be honest :ninja:

They have stopped even quoting at the moment cause wait time is at 2 years haha

:eek: Yeah in that case I'll definitely get a Maton, it'll already be at least a year until I'd have enough for a custom deposit

I thought it'd be longer! Still a crazy amount of time to wait though...

The custom I've had in mind is an MA-X in a style between a Rickenbacker 330 and a Maton 1200. It's more likely I'll just get a Maton to be honest :ninja:

:eek: Yeah in that case I'll definitely get a Maton, it'll already be at least a year until I'd have enough for a custom deposit

Better hurry up then..