I was pissed/upset at the time but mainly because I was actually pretty close to going (almost certainly would've if I'd known they hadn't played since '02 and my anxiety didn't balk a bit about the apparent multiple venues for the festival). The only way it still gets to me in any way is when I occasionally see a clip from the gig and remember how dead the crowd because Matt was fucking stupid enough to do it at a festival. Other than that, I'm not arsed tbh, was pretty much the same with Zepp as well.

Also, just seen scans of their new interview in the Q mag:

f0tb1t.jpg

:vomit:

You'd already headlined Glastonbury, played two pretty legendary nights at Wembley and won god knows how many 'best live' awards. What do you remotely 'owe' U-fucking-2, teaching you how to write Big Freeze and Aftermath?

x2qf7t.jpg

TAB (which was in regular rotation anyway), Citizen and Assassin (only by request) count as 'a lot of deep cuts' that they never had the back catalogue to do before apparently :LOL: I also love how 'changing two or three songs a night' sounds like an achievement.

what planet does this man live on

You'd already headlined Glastonbury, played two pretty legendary nights at Wembley and won god knows how many 'best live' awards. What do you remotely 'owe' U-fucking-2, teaching you how to write Big Freeze and Aftermath?

Aftermath wouldn't even make it onto a modern U2 album.

Matt's comments on changing the setlists each night...oh dear :LOL:

You can do a hell of a lot more in 17 songs than they did.

And you could REALLY put on a good show in the timeframe if it wasn't absolutely stuffed with playback and pointless downtime.

I mean, I know that's been argued to death, but it's disappointing that Matt's trying to act like none of the shit that was wrong with this tour even happened.

It's a bit of a slap in the face to say you were rotating all those "deep cuts" into a set when not only did it not happen, but you lipped off to fans about how it WASN'T going to happen because the show was for casuals.

I mean, I know that's been argued to death, but it's disappointing that Matt's trying to act like none of the shit that was wrong with this tour even happened.

I think he's just a very, very short-term person :chuckle:

I remember him (finally) admitting that the stage was hampering the crowd's movement and energy right at the start of the European leg, then there was obvs the moaning about only being able to play well-known songs but, yeah, I guess he's completely forgotten about it. Winning another 'best band in the world' awards probs doesn't help either.

You could argue he's been doing it every tour since, like, TR at this point. With the apparent cycle of "the production caused us problems with x and y *goes on to do pretty much the same thing again next tour*".

Is it just me, or does EVERY set that contains MOTP have 2 minutes of downtime just because Matt's hardware ALWAYS fucks up? Drop the song or get a working sequencer, it's getting awkward.

Was about 10-15 seconds at every gig I saw it at this year. Definitely used to be pretty bad back on the BH&R Tour but I think it's fine for the most part nowadays.

Edit: Didn't register with me at first because of how blasphemous it was but I can't believe I actually just read someone suggesting they drop Map.

Edited by Jobby

Edit: Didn't register with me at first because of how blasphemous it was but I can't believe I actually just read someone suggesting they drop Map.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Map. I'd just rather have something like Butterflies on that slot if Matt can't get his hardware working. When I saw them in Helsinki, it was nice to hear live, but the 1:30-2 min downtime before the song with Matt trying to fix his shit didn't really help the setlist which was already pretty damn bad(TaB and Map were the only semi-rares).

Actually tbf I did forget about Sunburn (which I've just watched my video of back and remembered how fucking great it was). Still though, that, CE and Assassin were the only remote 'deep cuts' from that week and, if we're honest, Assassin wasn't actually meant to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Map. I'd just rather have something like Butterflies on that slot if Matt can't get his hardware working. When I saw them in Helsinki, it was nice to hear live, but the 1:30-2 min downtime before the song with Matt trying to fix his shit didn't really help the setlist which was already pretty damn bad(TaB and Map were the only semi-rares).

Surely you can allow that though? Like I said, it sounds like it was a bit of a one-off.

Tbf it wasn't like that week had no rotation, but I do agree it could've been more full-on. I think Paris got better attempts.

Oh no, again, I was totally happy with that week. Not complaining, just laughing at Matt's skew-wiff perception :chuckle:

Last gig on the 15th was a bit shit 'cause it felt like the band just wanted to get it over with (which is weird 'cause Matt said that was his favourite...though apparently because they got to party afterwards).

I don't know which sets we're talking about, but Matt probably considers PIB and Bliss and possibly even songs from Abso to be deep cuts.

The article was all about the O2 gigs, that is true though (sadly).

Oh no, again, I was totally happy with that week. Not complaining, just laughing at Matt's skew-wiff perception :chuckle:

Last gig on the 15th was a bit shit 'cause it felt like the band just wanted to get it over with (which is weird 'cause Matt said that was his favourite...though apparently because they got to party afterwards).

Party always helps tbf. :chuckle:

But yeah - better than certain other stretches have been for rotation, and certainly an improvement on other tours or parts of this tour, but not quite a proper setlist roulette where anything could be played anywhere.

Maybe if they stopped winning shit, they'd feel like their audience was getting bored, and get back to actually putting on a performance.

Tbf they kinda have, haven't they? Maybe I'm totally wrong and it's just because I've been around a while at this point but the fervor that the fanbase used to have (and was pretty renowned for) when it came to voting for them to win awards feels pretty much non-existent to when I first became a fan. Iirc, they used to say they didn't really care about awards that weren't voted for by fans but that seems to be all they win nowadays.

Again, I could be wrong on that though, since I don't really pay any attention to music awards anymore.

I don't pay attention to awards all that much, but winning something titled "best band in the world" seems a bit ott.

They have been consistently nominated for a Grammy or two since TR, and won for two albums, but then again, Slipknot was nominated, so who knows what's going on there.

Best Act in the World Today ;)