Silliest Muse Lyrics?

TheHappySpaceman

I reckon that's more how the villain has moulded our protagonist into a carbon copy of him/herself rather than thinking s/he personally is the greatest.

The 'ex' character has magic in their eyes, is ablaze and alive etc. but all along they're dead inside. As our hero says, "I've become just like you" - they're not great at all; it's the image they're portraying to the rest of the world that's great when actually, they've been turned into another soulless drone.

(Dead Inside describes my ex so accurately it's frightening. I had my personality eroded away over almost ten years by someone who everyone thinks is fantastic, but shows a totally different face when it's just the two of you. I also get to work with him and hear our colleagues saying what a decent bloke he is. I've stopped being quiet about it. Dead Inside gives me many feels on this subject, along with Handler.)

That makes sense, I guess the line is just really cringey for me? Also the clarification of being the character helps too. Just the line on its own I guess heh. I guess its hard to relate when you've never been in a relationship

I still can't stand some of the lyrics in Dead Inside (apologies if this was brought up earlier in the thread, not a lot of time to go back and check.) I'd say it counts as silly when Matt says "on the outside i'm the greatest guy, but now i'm dead inside"

Agree with you, it doesn't really work outside of the context of the album. That often seems to be a problem with concept albums: there will be many songs that were written for the album, but don't work when playing them out of order. Like what BlueEyedFloozy said.

I reckon that's more how the villain has moulded our protagonist into a carbon copy of him/herself rather than thinking s/he personally is the greatest.

The 'ex' character has magic in their eyes, is ablaze and alive etc. but all along they're dead inside. As our hero says, "I've become just like you" - they're not great at all; it's the image they're portraying to the rest of the world that's great when actually, they've been turned into another soulless drone.

(Dead Inside describes my ex so accurately it's frightening. I had my personality eroded away over almost ten years by someone who everyone thinks is fantastic, but shows a totally different face when it's just the two of you. I also get to work with him and hear our colleagues saying what a decent bloke he is. I've stopped being quiet about it. Dead Inside gives me many feels on this subject, along with Handler.)

It works in the context of the album.

I guess the line is just really cringey for me?

Hey, for me, nothing beats this as the most cringeworthy line in all of music:

She's a beast, I call her Karma / She eats your heart out like Jeffrey Dahmer

~Juicy J, from Katy Perry's "Dark Horse"

As long as Muse never writes a lyric that bad, they're still good in my book.

Agree with you, it doesn't really work outside of the context of the album. That often seems to be a problem with concept albums: there will be many songs that were written for the album, but don't work when playing them out of order. Like what BlueEyedFloozy said.
I think BlueEyedFloozy said the exact opposite though? The song obviously works outside of the context since people can relate to it. The greatest guy line makes perfect sense to your average joe (or jane) since it's about a person who's keeping up appearances.

I think BlueEyedFloozy said the exact opposite though? The song obviously works outside of the context since people can relate to it. The greatest guy line makes perfect sense to your average joe (or jane) since it's about a person who's keeping up appearances.

Perhaps I misread/misinterpreted. I stayed up late last night trying to make it home in this crappy winter weather, so I'm still half asleep right now. :LOL:

"Why can't you sleep with someone who'll protect you?" is still maybe the most cringe-worthy Muse line imo.

Oh dear. I'm usually too busy headbanging to notice, but yeah, it sounds kind of whiny and, I dare say, emo. :eek:

oh good god, sorry, I thought it was from Escape for a minute there. Very long day haha

S'alright, no need to apologise. I was wondering what you'd confused it for, I guess Escape makes sense :chuckle:

Oh dear. I'm usually too busy headbanging to notice, but yeah, it sounds kind of whiny and, I dare say, emo. :eek:

It's more because it comes across as creepy to me tbh. Like, "I do things for you therefore you should sleep with me" (edit: or pretty much what tjet said). That's what I get from it anyway.

Whether it's intended to be from Matt's perspective or not, I just find it a bit

latest?cb=20140322225001

It's more because it comes across as creepy to me tbh. Like, "I do things for you therefore you should sleep with me" (edit: or pretty much what tjet said). That's what I get from it anyway.

Whether it's intended to be from Matt's perspective or not, I just find it a bit

latest?cb=20140322225001

Fair enough. I always interpreted it more as some sort of burn on the woman he's singing it to, like saying that she is sleeping around or something. But again, I'm usually too busy headbanging to notice.

Sounds like the creepy nice guy who won't accept that he's been rejected.

#niceguysfinishlast

To be fair, I think we've all been in that position before. :$

Oh man, here are some more great ones, both from Escape:

Your brain needs some assistance

and

I didn't realize I was talking to the living dead

I know he wrote the song about his parents divorcing, so you could make the argument that he intended these lines to sound like a little kid wrote them, but still. :rolleyes:

That DI line is pretty much the opposite of how people are interpreting it when they complain about it; it's not Matt saying he's an amazing person, it's saying that he's keeping up appearances of being a good person but has become a manipulative asshole in reality.

Sounds like the creepy nice guy who won't accept that he's been rejected.

#niceguysfinishlast

Once I really started thinking about Dead Star, I got really put off of it, and I haven't listened to it in ages.

If it was just a "nice guy" who's in love with a female friend who doesn't reciprocate, and the guy friend not being able to accept that she can say she's lonely and still not be physically attracted to him... well, it's whiney and entitled, but it's still relatable.

The snarling and threats however, make it something a LOT more uncomfortable and abusive, and I feel weird listening to it.

Once I really started thinking about Dead Star, I got really put off of it, and I haven't listened to it in ages.

If it was just a "nice guy" who's in love with a female friend who doesn't reciprocate, and the guy friend not being able to accept that she can say she's lonely and still not be physically attracted to him... well, it's whiney and entitled, but it's still relatable.

The snarling and threats however, make it something a LOT more uncomfortable and abusive, and I feel weird listening to it.

I feel like this thread is transforming from "Silliest Muse Lyrics" to "Rapey-est Muse Lyrics." :(

That DI line is pretty much the opposite of how people are interpreting it when they complain about it; it's not Matt saying he's an amazing person, it's saying that he's keeping up appearances of being a good person but has become a manipulative asshole in reality.

...yeah, that's what I was trying to say but apparently didn't :LOL: Dead Inside is one of the few Drones songs that works for me outside of the whole concept thing, possibly because it's the first song and is setting up the narrative of the album so you don't need any backstory for it to make sense?

I kind of like the creepy emo asshole-ness of Dead Star :$ Not sure what that says about me...

Don't waste your time or time will waste you

Is supremely cheesy, but...y'know, Knights. It works but oh god it's smothered in Parmesan.

Fair enough. I always interpreted it more as some sort of burn on the woman he's singing it to, like saying that she is sleeping around or something.
That doesn't exactly make it better.

To be fair, I think we've all been in that position before. :$

Have we?

That doesn't exactly make it better.

Well, it at least sounds less rapey... kind of?

Is supremely cheesy, but...y'know, Knights. It works but oh god it's smothered in Parmesan.

I think that line also works because it's a reference to King Richard’s soliloquy from Act 5 Scene 5 of Shakespeare’s Richard II.

Any thoughts on the "Escape" lyrics?

Oh man, here are some more great ones, both from Escape:

Your brain needs some assistance

and

I didn't realize I was talking to the living dead

I know he wrote the song about his parents divorcing, so you could make the argument that he intended these lines to sound like a little kid wrote them, but still. :rolleyes:

Considering the aggressive tone of most "my evil parents fucked me up" rock lyrics, I have a soft spot for Escape, which seems to indicate more personal reflection and concern for other family members feelings that doesn't seem common at that age.

Dead Star gives the impression that the girl complains about being single to the boy who is in love with her. I really don't see slutshaming in it, and it could have been a dark yet relatable thing, but the very literal threats of harm make it rather... Um... Inappropriate.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

I don't know why but I never took the "sleep with" line in Dead Star to literally mean sleeping with someone. I think I read at some point that DS was heavily influenced by the political climate around and immediately after 9/11, so I guess I assumed there was some political inference in the lyrics. To me, it sounds like Matt's asking why you would take sides with a government that doesn't seek to protect it's own people (or something like that) but using the analogy of a relationship. Kind of the opposite of Drones (the album), now that I think about it :LOL:

I might be reading too much into this but that's my interpretation of the line and why I never thought it sounded weird or rapey :p

Any thoughts on the "Escape" lyrics?

I can connect with Escape tbh, some of the lyrics in the middle are actually quite hard for me to listen to. Those two lines are a bit goofy but I can forgive it given his age and the topic. It's more in the music where I dislike Escape.

I think I read at some point that DS was heavily influenced by the political climate around and immediately after 9/11, so I guess I assumed there was some political inference in the lyrics. To me, it sounds like Matt's asking why you would take sides with a government that doesn't seek to protect it's own people (or something like that) but using the analogy of a relationship. Kind of the opposite of Drones (the album), now that I think about it :LOL:

I think that was around the time he started using bigger political issues as a way of avoiding talking about his personal life though tbf. Personally, I find the lyrics hard to look at from that perspective. They just seem too personal to really be about a wide-stretching event like that. Musically, I can see how the claustrophobic-yet-chaotic feel could've reflected the vibe at the time though.

Me and my interpretation could be wrong, like.

I always thought of Dead Star as related to 9/11 more so just because that's what everyone else seems to think (and I read an interview where Matt said something kind of offensive about 9/11 in regards to the song,) and I remember talking about it with some people here years ago, because the "sleep with" line just is too specific.

And yes, it's widely known that Matt used a lot of the political "dual narrative" stuff since OoS to cover up person issues he didn't want to talk about in interviews.

Particularly obvious in Abso (and now Drones.)

Very easily, though, the first verse could be related to feeling surrounding that event, but when it gets into the second verse, it's too obviously being sung TO someone.

My inappropriate speculation? maybe Matt had this experience with a female friend right around the same time as 9/11, and he correlated the feelings.

Considering the aggressive tone of most "my evil parents fucked me up" rock lyrics, I have a soft spot for Escape, which seems to indicate more personal reflection and concern for other family members feelings that doesn't seem common at that age.

I suppose. Again, maybe it was intentionally written to sound like it was from the perspective of a child or teenager whose parents were breaking up.

Dead Star gives the impression that the girl complains about being single to the boy who is in love with her. I really don't see slutshaming in it, and it could have been a dark yet relatable thing, but the very literal threats of harm make it rather... Um... Inappropriate.

I don't know why but I never took the "sleep with" line in Dead Star to literally mean sleeping with someone. I think I read at some point that DS was heavily influenced by the political climate around and immediately after 9/11, so I guess I assumed there was some political inference in the lyrics. To me, it sounds like Matt's asking why you would take sides with a government that doesn't seek to protect it's own people (or something like that) but using the analogy of a relationship. Kind of the opposite of Drones (the album), now that I think about it :LOL:

I might be reading too much into this but that's my interpretation of the line and why I never thought it sounded weird or rapey :p

I think that was around the time he started using bigger political issues as a way of avoiding talking about his personal life though tbf. Personally, I find the lyrics hard to look at from that perspective. They just seem too personal to really be about a wide-stretching event like that. Musically, I can see how the claustrophobic-yet-chaotic feel could've reflected the vibe at the time though.

Me and my interpretation could be wrong, like.

I've heard many different interpretations of this song. Does MuseWiki say anything about it?

"Matt said that the meaning of Dead Star along with In Your World it's about "how we should be responsible for our individual actions and not blame other people all the time" and added "I believe in the butterfly, or ripple, effect and that any individual's actions will have a cause and effect that they may not know about, not just on the people near them, but on others; sixth degrees of separation and all that. And that's what the songs are about.... I sort of got into that kind of thing, looking into space and all that - bit embarrassing, really. I'm a bit of a Star Trek fan in secret, but don't tell anyone (laughs). The song is about, let me think, it kind of how everyone reacted to the 11 September thing. We were in Boston at the time, we got stuck there, and that's when we recorded those songs. So, in some ways, the lyrics are a little bit about the hysteria around that time and how people were really quick to point fingers at everyone else when they should have pointed fingers at themselves.""

...Huh. Well, I certainly wouldn't have guessed that immediately. :eek: Especially seeing how it certainly sounds like it's about a girl.

Wheeee! I'm a cultural vacuum :LOL: Still cheesy though. The Bard invented cheese. It's true.

It's okay, I only know that it was from Shakespeare because my dad is a former English teacher. :D

I can connect with Escape tbh, some of the lyrics in the middle are actually quite hard for me to listen to. Those two lines are a bit goofy but I can forgive it given his age and the topic. It's more in the music where I dislike Escape.

Understandable. If your parents are divorcing or having an argument, it's not the lyrics of Escape that matter as much as the end passion he puts into singing it.

Unfortunately a lot of Matt's descriptions of his own songs are contradictory, and complete bullshit.

There was a lot of this during this Drones era, too, tbh, but it was particularly bad back then.

I suppose that fits quite well with the fact he was "covering up" personal issues with political topics and didn't want to talk about the personal things, though.

Matt said that the meaning of Dead Star along with In Your World it's about "how we should be responsible for our individual actions and not blame other people all the time"

This is just loltastic pertaining to Dead Star, no matter how you interpret it. :chuckle: