Silliest Muse Lyrics?

TheHappySpaceman

• 5 weeks later...

Let's bring life back to this thread!

First of all, in "Falling Down" from Showbiz, Matt Bellamy talks about blowing up his hometown:

"I'm falling down

And fifteen thousand people scream

They were all begging for your dream

I'm falling down

Five thousand houses burning down

No one is gonna save this town"

Which, uh, is a little weird to say the least. I know that I would never be able to get away with writing songs about blowing up my hometown without being placed under serious investigation; then again, that song was not written in the era of terrorism that we're living in today. And yes, it is actually about him blowing up Teignmouth; Matt even confirmed it!

The second lyric is from "Endlessly" off of the Absolution album, and it is interesting because while I'm sure it wasn't silly when it was released, it is bloody hilarious in hindsight.

"I won't give you up

I won't let you down"

Let's just say that it's very similar to another set of... meme-worthy lyrics.

As a m a z i n g as Hoodoo is, "Tied to a railroad" makes me picture a mustachio-twirling Matt tying up some damsel in distress in some Wild West silent film every single time. I mean, it works with the vibe of the song and I love it but, yeah, guess that image qualifies as silly.

Smooth...

The second lyric is from "Endlessly" off of the Absolution album, and it is interesting because while I'm sure it wasn't silly when it was released, it is bloody hilarious in hindsight.

"I won't give you up

I won't let you down"

Let's just say that it's very similar to another set of... meme-worthy lyrics.

I've genuinely never spotted that, haha! I love the song though, so... :phu:

Can I vote for just about anything in I Belong To You?

As a m a z i n g as Hoodoo is, "Tied to a railroad" makes me picture a mustachio-twirling Matt tying up some damsel in distress in some Wild West silent film every single time. I mean, it works with the vibe of the song and I love it but, yeah, guess that image qualifies as silly.

:LOL: And now I can't not think of that when I hear that line. Damn you, Jobby! (Kidding, of course. Actually, I feel like quoting you on that when I eventually make a "Top 10 Silliest Muse Lyrics" video.)

Yes, there was no terrorism before 2001, certainly not in the UK.

The sarcasm is strong with this one...

Eh, fair enough. Still, things have grown a lot more paranoid recently, between terrorism, school shootings, and general increased violence, and I doubt that I would be able to get away with writing lyrics about blowing up my hometown of Charlottesville.

Hey, while I'm talking to you:

I'll defend that one. "The toilet scene" in the UK is the slog of playing tiny gigs; the theory is that the venue's so small the band have to get changed in the toilets. If you don't know the phrase it probably sounds a bit odd (a bit!) but it makes perfect sense in the context of the song.

May I quote this for my "Silliest Muse Lyrics" video? It was very informative.

I've genuinely never spotted that, haha! I love the song though, so... :phu:

Hey, it's all good! Part of the point of this thread is that good songs can still have silly lyrics, and I doubt that Matt meant to rip off Rick Astley there (though at the same time, if he did, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised).

Can I vote for just about anything in I Belong To You?

Any particular highlights? (My guess is either "You are my Muuuuuuuuuuu... ...uuuuuuse," "She attacks me like a Leo when my heart is split like Rio," and Matt's mumbling in French.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...