Drones stage set up

Alex5

Do the guys tend to face one particular direction on the catwalks? Especially for The Handler?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wdMLNuml8

The spot I marked on the map is the spot Chris starts out on in the video. Matt starts out standing on the other wing and faces the opposite direction that Chris is facing. Later he does the solo on the same wing, but facing the other direction that was neglected, then Chris and Matt swap sides with Matt taking over Chris' starting location.

Edited map for more Dom. :chuckle:

o3dWSgZ.jpg

Edited by JessicaSarahS

I was wondering the same... maybe in case the flying drones fall it starts an auto-destruction process before they land in the head of the people in the crowd.

Those aren't for the drones, it's electrical and height/speed control for the screen rollers. They would have had a similar system controlling the pyramid for the 2nd Law Tour. Anything that controls motion will have an e-stop. As mentioned it's a rack of them, individual units.

The photo's are from the automation company that made them.

Hi!

I have a few questions abt the VIP-thing. From what I gathered it caused a lot of trouble for people who queued in the US? How long do you think I should queue before the gig to secure myself a good spot (ideal= first row,main stage).

Edit: I am going to gigs in Europe, not US, so I guess I should queue longer here overall?

And also I wonder about the height of the stage, and the distance between barrier and stage?

Hi!

I have a few questions abt the VIP-thing. From what I gathered it caused a lot of trouble for people who queued in the US? How long do you think I should queue before the gig to secure myself a good spot (ideal= first row,main stage).

Edit: I am going to gigs in Europe, not US, so I guess I should queue longer here overall?

And also I wonder about the height of the stage, and the distance between barrier and stage?

Do you have VIP or GA? Early morning is preferable, but I don't think you need to queue overnight or anything crazy. If you don't have VIP, most of the circle barrier spaces will probably be filled up, but I think the corners are the best spots anyhow -- you don't have to turn much to see the activity on the wings. The height of the stage seems to be lower than T2L's tour. I'm 5'1 and could see all up and down the stage. If you're at the very ends it might be problematic since it's set up much higher there. The distance between barrier and stage seems fairly narrow. This is near the center:

23962912639_8998fc75c3_z.jpg

No VIP and GA.

So you mean there is a bigger chance for me to get to the corners? I thought that was where everyone wanted to be!?

Yeah. There's one corner that everyone seems to go to (the one near the band exit), but other than that, the other three are usually open and VIP usually takes up center barrier.

There are two stairs - one at the start of each wing.

Are they leaving the stage through the same one each night?

Yup! The one highlighted in blue usually leads to a backstage area, while the other end is just closed off. The other staircase is used mostly by crew.

Thank you soo much!

You're welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

I find it interesting this is the first time they don't have a gang of follow spot operators in the air this time, instead they are using the 3D tracking solution, in combination with Martin Air FX fixtures to turn a normal spot luminaire into a follow spot light.

There are 38 infrared cameras in total.

http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/en_uk/blog/muse-moment-factory-drones

A good article on Sound world for this tour, the challenges of doing sound in the round.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/p...k_in_the_round

Credit to Dominic. for finding that one originally.

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?p=11330301&posted=1#post11330301

• 4 weeks later...

Lighting & Video geek article. Looks like Oli and his gang takes up some space in the seating.

Interesting there are no actual spotlight operators, the tracking system isn't just for the HFOs or video content, it's also tracking the band for on the fly spotlight tracking with regular moving fixtures.

1-oli-metcalfe.JPG

http://plsn.com/current-issue/71-designer-insights/19027-muse-drones-world-tour.html

Hello!

I was wondering if Matt does a complete round when he meets the crowd? I mean, if I go to the barrier, but in the wings, can I see him when he meets the crowd?

He hasn't done that in Dead Inside since Texas because he carries his guitar now.

When the leave the stage, they just interact with the handful of people by that side.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, folks

Just a quick question, though I'm not sure if anybody will be able to help. Basically, going to the gig at Glasgow Hydro tomorrow, GA ticket (hooray), and can't wait, but I've been given an assigned entrance, and I'm concerned that it will mean that there's a part of the GA area that I won't be able to access. Has this happened at any of the other venues, and does anybody know what it will entail? The only reason I ask is the Hydro doesn't have seating all around the arena, and I'm concerned the band will play more to one direction than the other - I'd like to avoid being in the "neglected" area.

Any info would be hugely helpful!

Hi there, folks

Just a quick question, though I'm not sure if anybody will be able to help. Basically, going to the gig at Glasgow Hydro tomorrow, GA ticket (hooray), and can't wait, but I've been given an assigned entrance, and I'm concerned that it will mean that there's a part of the GA area that I won't be able to access. Has this happened at any of the other venues, and does anybody know what it will entail? The only reason I ask is the Hydro doesn't have seating all around the arena, and I'm concerned the band will play more to one direction than the other - I'd like to avoid being in the "neglected" area.

Any info would be hugely helpful!

The bowl goes the whole way round. I dunno if they'll open it all. I think it's just an entrance to stop jamming otherwise we all all go in the east side as that's really the main entrance

Edited by Rustyy

The bowl goes the whole way round. I dunno if they'll open it all. I think it's just an entrance to stop jamming otherwise we all all go in the east side as that's really the main entrance

Ah, fantastic. The entrance I've been given is "East Entrance", so that's very reassuring. :)

• 3 months later...

This is the main problem with projectors, even the high-end ones that they were using (12 in total!) can chuck out so much light, this is why we were getting advised pre-gig to turn off the flash.

The same visual were used for many songs on the current festival tour, they are so much easier to pick up on LED screens. The brightness/contrast doesn't compare.

The visuals for Madness was far more enjoyable as backdrop on the festival setup, rather than on the wings. It didn't always make sense. The Handler certainly did.

This is the main problem with projectors, even the high-end ones that they were using (12 in total!) can chuck out so much light, this is why we were getting advised pre-gig to turn off the flash.

The same visual were used for many songs on the current festival tour, they are so much easier to pick up on LED screens. The brightness/contrast doesn't compare.

The visuals for Madness was far more enjoyable as backdrop on the festival setup, rather than on the wings. It didn't always make sense. The Handler certainly did.

It's so true. I didn't appreciate the actual visuals (aside from The Handler and The Globalist) until I saw them on the festival recordings. Dead Inside looked great on the LED screens, but not so much on the sheer curtains.