Sweeeeeeet.

I see they do Bass pickups as well, though I've yet to hear a halfway-decent sound bite of them.

I listened to a demo some guy did between them and his Bartolini pickups on the TalkBass forum (I think...) and they seemed to sound good. The Q-tuners seemed to have much more clarity, while still being nice and bass-y.

I listened to a demo some guy did between them and his Bartolini pickups on the TalkBass forum (I think...) and they seemed to sound good. The Q-tuners seemed to have much more clarity, while still being nice and bass-y.

Sweeeeet. Well, if I ever feel like it, I'd have to go for the BS pickups, seeing as how I have a Yamaha 5-String "Jazz" bass. Still, ~£140 for a matched pair sounds alright I guess.

they're expensive though. although for both the quality of sound, and the sheer amazing look of them, i'd pay it.

i think that possibly they could easily rank up there in the best pickups around... possibly.

All the research I've done indicates that they are (taste permitting) definitely some of the best (at least bass) pickups out there. And hands down the best looking pickups I've ever laid eyes upon.

yeah, i agree with the best looking one. on the site, under gallery, there's a silver one too which looks great. definitely if thats what you're into, you cant go wrong. i agree with that totally.

speaking of good looking pickups, i think the alumitones have a great vintagey look to them.

All the research I've done indicates that they are (taste permitting) definitely some of the best (at least bass) pickups out there. And hands down the best looking pickups I've ever laid eyes upon.

Agreeeeeed. Wonder if the red/clear ones would look good on a black Bass?

Scratch that, they would! :D

thats like saying, i wonder would a pint go well when ireland are kicking englands ass at rugby in croke park.

the answer will always be yes.

(joke by the way, england beat us in croke park the following year)

Yeeeeeeeah, so you keep your mouth shut! :p:LOL:

But yeah, I get your point. Now I think about it, it would look rather sexy.

true, but q-tuners are an example of how both the function and form are both awesome.

Yes, but nobody* would buy them if they didn't sound great, and nobody* would buy them solely because of how they look, so there isn't that much incentive to make pickups look great.

*excluding idiots

true. for my first build, however, i'm going for the best i can get out of a cheap budget. the way i see it, if i make a balls of the wiring or whatever, then a set of crappy pickups can be like test subjects. it's pointless in me spending a lot of money on fancy pickups incase i mess something up. if i wire up the cheep ones good, then it would make more sense then to go buy good ones.

that all makes sense, right??

true. for my first build, however, i'm going for the best i can get out of a cheap budget. the way i see it, if i make a balls of the wiring or whatever, then a set of crappy pickups can be like test subjects. it's pointless in me spending a lot of money on fancy pickups incase i mess something up. if i wire up the cheep ones good, then it would make more sense then to go buy good ones.

that all makes sense, right??

I don't see why you would bother. You'd have to be clumsier than a blind leper to fuck it up so badly that you make the pickups unusable.

so if, hypathetically (cos this would be the worst case scenario imo) i wired/soldered the pickup wires wrong, and realised that, if i unsolder, and do them correctly, everything will still work fine?

Unless you make some brilliant new innovations in the field of failing.

I've said this before but try Swineshead if your after good sounding pickups with that unique look, they have loads of finishing options and if you don't like anything they have they will make you custom ones to what ever you want.

http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/

Also it's pretty hard to mess up wiring pickups and they are pretty hard to break.

Archived