Thanks man! Yeah I didnt word that very well.... I really must stop posting when i'm abouts to fall sleep...

Yeah what I ment to say is I can wire one up, put it together etc. Just the actual wood work I'm not good with. Other than that part I should be alright though.

Oh and btw the guitar you built looks awesome :D

im STILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL waiting for the paint to harden off. tho it did need over 1.5 litres of clear coat to cover the glitter (!!!!!!!??????!!!!!!) so it will probably take a while in october. but i did manage to flat it all down. heres some pics - bear in mind the finish is only sanding with 400 paper to flat it down so its still scratchy and very very matt

62.jpg

61.jpg

this stupid paint is taking an age to cure! i thought the headstock was about ready today so i gave it a final little flat down with some 800, then straight onto the polishing pads (1500 - 12000), using them slowly. it polished it up a treat, but then i see that somehow, in the tiny amount of heat generated by the friction of using the pads (which is much less then using sandpaper!) the finish had managed to shrink again, making the decal visible, an in some places actually going through the clear coat on some wrinkles in the decal paper.

im very annoyed. i couldnt even tell you how many coats went onto the damn thing. and all were left to go off for the right amount of time before the next one went on. i cant understand why its doing it, but its doing my head in

i already know it wont. im not really in a place that i can be charging what i should be charging, so im not going to make as much as i should yet. and people seem to think i own a chinese factory and pay my workers 50p an hour for some reason. you wouldnt believe how many people i get saying 'how much would this be', and be shocked when i tell them its more than £500

i already know it wont. im not really in a place that i can be charging what i should be charging, so im not going to make as much as i should yet. and people seem to think i own a chinese factory and pay my workers 50p an hour for some reason. you wouldnt believe how many people i get saying 'how much would this be', and be shocked when i tell them its more than £500

o hai thur ;)

no, sorry about that. Its just i know a local person who builds and sells guitars for around £400-600

I was just wondering how much yours were.

but clearly yours are a lot better quality lol!!

and liking the look of the glitter btw, i thought it would come out a bit...gay?

but looks good!

;5080932']o hai thur ;)

no, sorry about that. Its just i know a local person who builds and sells guitars for around £400-600

Anyone can claim to make guitars. Anything you're buying for £400-600 is either made out of cheap shit components or has been thrown together. Or both. The raw material cost of mine was in excess of £500 and took (albeit a few hours here and there) two months to build and finish, so you have to allow for, as Anthony implies, the chap doing it to make something for his hard work.

While it's obviously impossible to generalise, I'd suggest any "hand built" guitar selling for the sort of money you're talking about would either be assembled from off the peg components (i.e. not truly hand built) or would simply be a piece of shit. The economics just don't make sense at that price.

Anyone can claim to make guitars. Anything you're buying for £400-600 is either made out of cheap shit components or has been thrown together. Or both. The raw material cost of mine was in excess of £500 and took (albeit a few hours here and there) two months to build and finish, so you have to allow for, as Anthony implies, the chap doing it to make something for his hard work.

While it's obviously impossible to generalise, I'd suggest any "hand built" guitar selling for the sort of money you're talking about would either be assembled from off the peg components (i.e. not truly hand built) or would simply be a piece of shit. The economics just don't make sense at that price.

I dunno about that. The hardware and pickups for the bass I'm building set me back about $300 for fine quality parts from Warmoth.

he makes damn nice guitars. i dont know about all the wiring, but the pups arent too bad. he bought loads of Seymour JB's, so they come standard on the guitar, and mahogany body with a maple neck.

i think he gets some of it VAT free though :/

he's not doing it to make a huge profit though. hes a very nice guy (:

;5080932']o hai thur ;)

and liking the look of the glitter btw, i thought it would come out a bit...gay?

but looks good!

i wasnt talking specifically about you, i have lots of people asking and getting that kind of response. the wood and parts for this one has cost about £750. that does include a fuzz factory and sustainer, but both at ebay prices rather than full retail

i wasnt talking specifically about you, i have lots of people asking and getting that kind of response. the wood and parts for this one has cost about £750. that does include a fuzz factory and sustainer, but both at ebay prices rather than full retail

thats a really good price actually

and im guessing your a good luthier too.

yeah. i either wish that i had more money or your guitars were cheaper.

i love your shapes!!!!

they're actually epic..

thats a really good price actually

thats just for the materials. it usually costs about £400- 500 for materials alone. and with all the time it takes to do im hardly making anything out of the ones i do as it is, so any lower and i might as well be a shelf monkey at morrisons

Guest bshuker
Well I'm not making it but he's a project Conklin have underway for me:D...

l_6e9254ab66d34e9694ef937a3af09a1b.jpg

Fanned fret 8 string, mwahahahahahaaa.

WANT. Just say you don't want it, give it to me instead.

Can't you get trade terms on either of those? Should think so as a commercial builder.

Archived