If you could redo a song, how would you do it?

HystericHandler

I hope this thread hasn't been created by another one before me.

I would like to know here how you will redo a muse's song (do you think this song would be shorter/longer...).

To my mind, I think Aftermath could have been improved by cutting the end of the song, after the solo, especially the last chorus when Matt sings "For this moment" in the background, I find it awful.

And I reckon Animals would be better if the solo was longer, I don't know how we can improve this song but I think there is a way to make this song better.

Defector should be shorter I think, there are 4 times the chorus, It's boring... (However the solo is one of the best muse's solo!)

I hope this thread hasn't been created by another one before me.

I would like to know here how you will redo a muse's song (do you think this song would be shorter/longer...).

To my mind, I think Aftermath could have been improved by cutting the end of the song, after the solo, especially the last chorus when Matt sings "For this moment" in the background, I find it awful.

And I reckon Animals would be better if the solo was longer, I don't know how we can improve this song but I think there is a way to make this song better.

Defector should be shorter I think, there are 4 times the chorus, It's boring... (However the solo is one of the best muse's solo!)

In Defector they could've just cut the chorus at the beginning and just attack with the first verses after the main riff. But, I don't know, on the other hand feel it just works their way.

Talking about other two song I'd redo, among others, those would be Unsustainable and in minor part Dead Inside.

The very first time I've listened to the one-and-a half-minute snippet of Unsustainable, I pictured it as a sort of grandiose seven-minute monster of experimentation. I just imagined the infinite variations Muse could've played with, expoloiting all the genres mashed in the track. That way, I think they could've turn it into one of their real masterpieces, maybe even on par with Citizen Erased and such.

For what concers Dead Inside, the only major change I'd apply is to retain the heavier punch they've reserved to its second part during live performances. The thing is, I've just tried to do it. ;) But I don't know if it has come out well...

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

For me, Psycho should be a couple minutes shorter. At first I didn't notice how long it was 'cause the hype, but now I almost never listen to it 'cause it's too long :facepalm:

Even though I like Aftermath, I agree that that last chorus should be removed.

Talking about other two song I'd redo, among others, those would be Unsustainable and in minor part Dead Inside.

The very first time I've listened to the one-and-a half-minute snippet of Unsustainable, I pictured it as a sort of grandiose seven-minute monster of experimentation. I just imagined the infinite variations Muse could've played with, expoloiting all the genres mashed in the track. That way, I think they could've turn it into one of their real masterpieces, maybe even on par with Citizen Erased and such.

For what concers Dead Inside, the only major change I'd apply is to retain the heavier punch they've reserved to its second part during live performances. The thing is, I've just tried to do it. ;) But I don't know if it has come out well...

I swear I just can't stand Unsustainable. If the dubstep parts and the string parts connected better together, I think I'd like it a bit more.

Exo-Politics. Make it sound like the live beast it was before they butchered it for BH&R

Exo-Politics and Assassin should have stayed as the earlier versions :(

I swear I just can't stand Unsustainable. If the dubstep parts and the string parts connected better together, I think I'd like it a bit better

Really? I don't really mind the abrupt transition between them. It comes quite shockingly, which I like.

But I'd also love the "guitarstep" section more if they increased the instrumental volume in comparison to the robot voice, which detracts a bit of intensity to it mixed at those levels.

Really? I don't really mind the abrupt transition between them. It comes quite shockingly, which I like.

But I'd also love the "guitarstep" section more if they increased the instrumental volume in comparison to the robot voice, which detracts a bit of intensity to it mixed at those levels.

Yeah the instrumental is better. Song should have more pay-off too tbh.

Where to begin?

Aftermath - redo the first and last lines, cut the shit guitar solo and the "we've gone against the tide section", make some of the last chorus instrumental (so there's a Blackout-style guitar thing going on)

SS - the last chorus features a guitar in the right channel of my headphones that drops out randomly seconds in. Annoys me every time, it should stay

B&H - the record version should have the guitars

CoD - have something else going on instead of the same intro and verse melody over and over again. Maybe an extended or modified solo.

Psycho - shorten the intro, cut out the guitar breakdown before the third chorus etc.

Dead Star - put the scratchy guitar stuff from Download 2015 in the verses

Bliss - falsetto background vocals (like at the end of Megalomania) in the background for the final chorus

The Globalist - trumpets instead of whistling, and make the slide guitar sound not like it was recorded on someone's phone in an echoey room

Survival - less choir plz

Unsustainable - make the middle section different from the opening orchestral stuff and have a more interesting 2nd "dubstep" section

etc. etc.

Psycho - distorted screams (or even just the same effect as the 'I'm gonna make you' parts) instead of the goofy falsetto during the chorus. Also, more variation during the gaps of the riff instead of just C-F every time, maybe some harmonics and other stuff like the old live versions. Oh, and maybe tune it down to C as well.

Dead Inside - drums fade in for 4 bars before the first 'Dead inside!' wail

The Globalist - longer heavy section, pretty obvious really

Reapers - final distorted scream at around 5:14, just for extra climax

New Born - modern/live version of the solo w/ whammy action and stuff

The Groove - just open with drums + tame distortion/feedback (like the recent live versions) instead of those horrible high notes

Undisclosed Desires - include the extended synth intro they used to do for it live, maybe as a bridge gap between it and Resistance

Can also confirm Defector works a lot better without the first chorus, edited it out a while ago.

Exo-Politics and Assassin should have stayed as the earlier versions :(

I can't really choose between Debase and normal Assassin. It's a cliche line but I love them both for different reasons. I like the sinister tribal vibe of Debase but the heaviness and speed of the normal version makes it a lot more fun.

Exo obvs should have stayed how it was though.

Edited by Jobby

I just think its too short. I think it either needs to be made longer or just cut

Surely if you think it's too short, that indicates you want there to be more of it though. So why wouldn't you just say that instead of cutting it? :confused:

Surely if you think it's too short, that indicates you want there to be more of it though. So why wouldn't you just say that instead of cutting it? :confused:

Im just not that fussed on the whole section. I like the intro and the slide part and the piano section works really well with the rest of it too. I just feel like it doesn't really fit in as well as it could.

The solo in the Handler goes on for far too long, it should be at least halved, maybe even take 3/4 out of it.

The Globalist should just be laid out as separate tracks, similar to Exogenesis so this allows a longer heavier section and so the sections can be treated as individual songs hopefully improving flow. Also I'd completely change the third section to make it an even heavier climax (possibly with death growls, I'm sure Matt could do them pretty well).

Drones doesn't need to be there, it should've been a b-side to Dead Inside/Psycho.

Change reapers to an anti- apple fight song.

Hear come the phones ect. ect.

They would still use it in all of their advertising.

I'm not keen on how the guitar sounds on the album version Stockholm Syndrome - always felt like a heavily processed version of the powerful riff it has live. Record a beefier version of it.

Assassin could also be closer to the initial version.

Agree Psycho needs to be shorter - go straight from the 2nd chorus to the breakdown riff/solo. Can also live without the drill sergeant barking. Also think the riff needs to be heavier than it sounds on record. Not sure about Drop C but it sounded awesome in that in 2013.

Following on, Mercy could be closer to the heavier live version, and use a proper solo than the fairly anti-climacticy bridge.

Revolt isn't unsalvageable but it needs to have less of a boyband-like feel in the verses, which is what I felt on first listen. Maybe the whole song could be closer to the feel of the chorus, which is the better part of the track. Could also be more lyrically complex, and document something of the protagonist's struggle to get people to go along with his ideals, although you could split that thinking into two songs.

There's probably a few more when I can think of them.

The solo in the Handler goes on for far too long, it should be at least halved, maybe even take 3/4 out of it.

The Globalist should just be laid out as separate tracks, similar to Exogenesis so this allows a longer heavier section and so the sections can be treated as individual songs hopefully improving flow. Also I'd completely change the third section to make it an even heavier climax (possibly with death growls, I'm sure Matt could do them pretty well).

Drones doesn't need to be there, it should've been a b-side to Dead Inside/Psycho.

They would still use it in all of their advertising.

The Solo is about 15 seconds in The Globalist :erm:

Edit: Nevermind, you said the handler, my mistake :facepalm: