a few of us (including me) have suggested this over the past few months, but the more I think about it, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that they're far too fucking lazy to ever bother doing this. I've given up trying to predict what next albums will be like. Ideally, darker. Like, every song is the Handler, but I expect they think they've done dark on this album so we'll probs get an album of GL, NSC etc about Matt's new girlfriend. I think I prefer that guy when he's miserable as fuck :LOL: on the note of Drones, still growing on me. Superb album (minus Defector, which has regressed in my estimation).

Do people just really not read...? Because I think this was said 1000 times...

NSC was written right after Matt's long time girlfriend dumped him, when he was ill and extremely miserable.

The man's "miserable" songs come out like NSC, Madness, and Dead Inside... so if that's what you like, hope away for someone to be unhappy. :chuckle:

Do people just really not read...? Because I think this was said 1000 times...

NSC was written right after Matt's long time girlfriend dumped him, when he was ill and extremely miserable.

The man's "miserable" songs come out like NSC, Madness, and Dead Inside... so if that's what you like, hope away for someone to be unhappy. :chuckle:

I like DI and Madness haha. Rather that than Follow Me, Starlight, GL etc. To be honest though, I have no idea what mood he was in when he wrote those. I was just being tongue in cheek ;)

Anyone know if there is any truth in the rumours that Revolt is the next single?

My cousin is a big Muse fan and mentioned it to me. Hope it's untrue; worst song on Drones by a country mile.

Indeed, Chris said before the release of Mercy (I don't know which newspaper) that they didn't know if they will release Revolt or Mercy as second single. They finally chose Mercy because it was the order of the album. This means that Revolt will be the third (and I think the last) single.

Indeed, Chris said before the release of Mercy (I don't know which newspaper) that they didn't know if they will release Revolt or Mercy as second single. They finally chose Mercy because it was the order of the album. This means that Revolt will be the third (and I think the last) single.

I hope they change their mind and go for a heavier song like Reapers. Simple radio edit lopping off the outro too but knowing Matt we can expect Aftermath to go for Christmas Number 1...

T2L? TR? Showbiz? Drones is better than all of these imo

Showbiz is a tough one, because Showbiz the song and Sunburn rival a lot of the future material by a good bit... but as an album, it has to be near the bottom, for me.

I keep having conflicted feelings, but at heart I think I like Drones as much as BH&R, easily. Might be my fav since Abso.

Bit of topic but I saw the Live at Rome Stadium CD + DVD in HMV the other day and it was marked as £24, is it meant to be that expensive?

Don't think so, it's supposed to be around £15 or something.

No one's gonna buy it though so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Drones above anything at all?

I'm with you on this one. Maybe TR, T2L and Showbiz are less consistent, but all have songs which I enjoy far more than anything on Drones.

Been mulling over the "return to their old sound" thing lately (partly because people have used it, erroneously I'd say, about the new Maccabees album) and I think it's misused with regard to Drones. It's to Absolution what U2's recent output is to The Joshua Tree- superficially similar but much less potent, with considerably more gloss. Also the edgier influences have been largely jettisoned- with the exception of that one homage breakdown, I don't detect any real trace of Nirvana, System or Deftones in Drones' DNA. I'm not saying I want to hear a riff and go "hurrah, that's borrowing from Darren Malakian!" but those influences helped give Muse's earlier work a little more weirdness and unpredictability.

Edited by Alec.

Great tier:Mercy

Good tier:

Defector

Average tier:

Aftermath

Shit tier:

Revolt

Drones

*expresses disagreement in a snooty manner*

Drones is the first album where I've felt like the band were kinda stretched for ideas. Not really much of a basis for that, just a vibe I get. Maybe they should quit soon idk.

I never get that "they should quit" attitude. It's not like you're forced to listen to or like them, and plenty of people still do.

And Matt had plenty of ideas going into this album, but stifled himself by making it a "concept" album, and then didn't have a lot of success translating his various "drones" ideas into the album, imo.

I never get that "they should quit" attitude. It's not like you're forced to listen to or like them, and plenty of people still do.

And Matt had plenty of ideas going into this album, but stifled himself by making it a "concept" album, and then didn't have a lot of success translating his various "drones" ideas into the album, imo.

I'm not saying they should, I guess I just feel like I would if I felt like I wasn't really doing much new anymore.

I mean musical ideas, like making an album with the desire to do something inventive. Reapers, Dead Inside and Drones (maybe The Handler) feel pretty fresh but the rest, even though I like some of them, feel a bit uninspired to me. Again though, "Not really much of a basis for that, just a vibe I get."

Then again, Matt apparently reckons this album's their best one so what do I know.

They're just at a point where they're never going to make anyone happy, really.

They could easily have kept experimenting around, but most fans seemed to feel that was becoming a failure, so they conceded a bit and went back to an older sound, but fans didn't think it stacked up to the older stuff, or it felt like they're "out of ideas."

I think they connected back to what I personally felt was missing, which was a more emotional and personal feel to the music. It had been lacking severely in the last two albums, for the most part.

Whatever they do, that's what's most important to me.

Did they hobble themselves by sticking to a concept? Yeah. Did they oversimplify it? Absolutely.

I guess the fact that I find the songs so sonically and emotionally appealing despite that is somewhat impressive.

My biggest gripe is that when they had to "solve" or conclude their story, there just wasn't a way to do it, and we ended up with the "positive thinking solves the world's problems" songs.

Absolution, for example, dealt with all sorts of dark issues, but still managed to have a glimmer of hope... and succeeded because they didn't try and come up with solutions to complex problems, whereas with Drones they put themselves into a position where they sort of had to. And they just simply don't exist.

I'm not saying they should, I guess I just feel like I would if I felt like I wasn't really doing much new anymore.

I mean musical ideas, like making an album with the desire to do something inventive. Reapers, Dead Inside and Drones (maybe The Handler) feel pretty fresh but the rest, even though I like some of them, feel a bit uninspired to me. Again though, "Not really much of a basis for that, just a vibe I get."

Then again, Matt apparently reckons this album's their best one so what do I know.

I'd argue that you're not doing much new now.