if they are both the same wood, roughly the same ply/thickness etc: they will sound similar yes.

:eek: For serious? So... if you compare two essentially identical drums... they'll sound similar?

In case we're forgetting the notion was:

DW Maples will be just as deep as Tamas.

Which is. Wrong.

well...yeah....

if theyre made out of the same material and pretty much identical i cant see HOW they will sound so amazingly different.

Bit like shaking a box of Kellogs "corn flakes".......and then shaking Co-Op's own brand cheap-o "corned flakes".

Yes theyre different. Yes you can taste the difference (in our case SEE the difference with the different "edge shapes"), but when you shake the boxes....they're identical.

:LOL:

yeah youre probably right - but can you see my point - HOW if theyre the same material and same thickness, can they sound so remarkably different?

I cant see how slight variables in edge shapes will change the sound so dramatically...

well...yeah....

if theyre made out of the same material and pretty much identical i cant see HOW they will sound so amazingly different.

Bit like shaking a box of Kellogs "corn flakes".......and then shaking Co-Op's own brand cheap-o "corned flakes".

Yes theyre different. Yes you can taste the difference (in our case SEE the difference with the different "edge shapes"), but when you shake the boxes....they're identical.

what about frosties?

crunchy nut?

PLEASE HELP ME ITS IMPORTANT.

Any two drums of the same size and material can sound pretty close, provided they have the right tuning, heads, etc. There will be some main differences (one may sound a little deeper initially), but its a slight difference, not night and day. Yes, different companies' wood will sound different, but not radically.

Bearing edge and shell thickness are the most important parts. Pearl BRX and MRX sound nearly indistinguishable and yet Pearl MRX sounds noticeably different to Starclassic Maple and DW.

Yes....A Tama will be the same as DW PROVIDING theyre the same thickness etc....

If a Tama is the same thickness etc as a DW then it's a DW and not a Tama. Tama is different to DW, that's why DW is DW and Tama is Tama.

thats like saying that if you drink magners, and then bulmers you will not taste much of a difference... but the name is different....

and?

well...yeah....

food=drums

oui?

Bearing edge and shell thickness are the most important parts. Pearl BRX and MRX sound nearly indistinguishable and yet Pearl MRX sounds noticeably different to Starclassic Maple and DW.

If a Tama is the same thickness etc as a DW then it's a DW and not a Tama. Tama is different to DW, that's why DW is DW and Tama is Tama.

well im a pearl and tama guy myself - not really that "into" DW...

and i know that you can customise your drums with a top-end pearl. YOU can choose the wood. YOU can choose the ply etc etc

so yeah you can make a pearl sound like a tama or any other drum....

I just assumed that other manufacturers would do this too...

Saw the talk about electric kits. Just further upgraded mine - and dare I post a photo of a "rubber kit" on such an esteemed website ha ha.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/stakka_album/drums.jpg

Get one set up properly - as in sound settings and layout (most show models are just thrown together and are left with default sound settings) and you will probably never need another kit again. The TD12 and TD20 sound modules are just awesome, top notch samples of every kit you can imagine, with full editability to change nearly every shape / aspect / nuance of each single drum / cymbal. Both bands that I jam / mess around with were gobsmacked when I first used it .... and yes guitarists paying respect to a drum kit !!! :D

But Adam is right that the sounds originally come from acoustic kits, and I admit they just don't look the part....but being able to play anywhere and any hour of the day is pretty handy !

I am saving for an acoustic kit though (cos I just want one !!)..but where the feck do you start ?

Although you do not get a better sound, upgrading to the mesh heads - especially the larger ones - really makes difference.:yesey:

From a spend point of view I can probably aim fairly high but at a quick glance there seems to be an area between 600 and 1400 pounds where a lot of kits are but do you really notice that much difference from the 2 extremes?. I'll pitch in somewhere in that area if need be (for bass, 1 up, 2 down toms and a snare) but only if it is worth it. I really wouldn't know if my money was going towards getting better looks or better sounds? (but it does have to look nice !!)

I play rock / pop with inspirations from Foo fighters, stereophonics, muse, killers, manics etc...and I like that nice rounded deep sound - with a couple of deep floor toms and a nice crack of a snare.

My TD12 has maple, birch, oak kit sounds and the maple seems to give the sound I am looking for but I have little real experience of different "real" acoustic kits - the Roland has spoilt me somewhat and made it too easy to just get in and play. I mess around with all the settings till it sounds nice but having to commit to an acoustic kit which will give me one sound and knowing which sizes and materials of shell is a little boggling.:confused:

From what you said, I would say go with either a Tama Performer (birch) or a Mapex Pro-M (Maple). I think you should be able to find one for around the price you mentioned. Maple will have more lows, while birch will sound higher and controlled. Birch kits are good for rock because they can easily cut through the mix of other instruments, but maple has those deep lows that accompany rock also.

Dominic Howard, Taylor Hawkins, and Ronnie Vannucci all use big toms, so I would try to find a 13"/14", 16", 18" tom configuration with a 22"/24" bass drum about 18" deep. The deeper the drum, the "boomier" it will sound, shallower drums will have a quicker attack because you have less air to move. As for a snare, you'll really just have to try those for yourself.

Depending if you want a snare as part of a shell pack, or another one, there are hundreds of options. Based on your musical preferences though, I'd say go with something deep and throaty (7"-8").

You're a star...thanks.

You've hit a few key apsects of what I was keen to start understanding..The other area was how important is the tom hardware as in lugs and mounting - any partcular do's and don'ts...or is that just really down to prefs?

I'll get xmas out the way and then start seriously looking - certainly along the lines you have said.

Before I get in danger of spending some money I'll pop back :)

You're a star...thanks.

You've hit a few key apsects of what I was keen to start understanding..The other area was how important is the tom hardware as in lugs and mounting - any partcular do's and don'ts...or is that just really down to prefs?

Most of the mounting hardware now is pretty good and will not choke the drum. I prefer the Tama Starcast mounts over the Pearl ISS because it holds the drum better and allows for a little more flexiblilty, but there aren't really any horrible choices on mounting.

hoops - diecast hoops are heavier, but stay in tune longer and let you tune more precisely. Triple flanged are lighter and let the heads sound more open, with sharp rimshots.

thats like saying that if you drink magners, and then bulmers you will not taste much of a difference... but the name is different....

?????????????

English much?

I don't see how you get that. It's like saying that Magners and Bulmers are completely different and won't taste the same, regardless of how much the uninitiated think they do.

Sorry if this has been asked before but the search is pretty bad.

I was wondering if anyone knows if Dom uses a Double Pedal for the live version of Dead Star, I'm trying to learn the song but I'm having trouble hitting the bass drum 3 times really quickly, does he use a DP or is there some way of being able to hit it really quickly without one?

Thanks in Advance!