I'm not sure if I've missed something, but why do people assume Drones will be more of a concept album than TR and T2L? Before both of those were released, it also seemed like their respective themes would be dealt with throughout the whole album.

I'm not sure if I've missed something, but why do people assume Drones will be more of a concept album than TR and T2L? Before both of those were released, it also seemed like their respective themes would be dealt with throughout the whole album.

Well for one, Psycho is incredibly concept-y. It's entirely from the perspective of a particular character. Furthermore, Matt's comment: "This album explores the journey of a human, from their abandonment and loss of hope, to their indoctrination by the system to be a human drone, to their eventual defection from their oppressors."

Pyscho appears to be part of the "indoctrination by the system to be a human drone" bit, so I think we can assume Dead Inside to be the "abandonment and loss of hope", then Psycho - Handler to be the "indoctrination", and then the final songs, to deal with the "defection from their oppressors".

Also, the fact that Mutt Lange may have been able to reign in Matt's ADHD-style of putting together an album gives more credence to the idea that it will be a proper concept album.

Key word, "seemed". Matt said in his interview he noticed concepts. Everything we know about the record before was just "simple rock" and eclectic topics so it hinted at the same stuff as the last couple of records which IMO was a bad sign. What Matt said about the record officially with the pre-order plus the obvious sign with all of the song titles cements it that this is through and through a concept album with a specific topic. Absolution was "apocalypse... each song is a perspective of it" that's just a cop out because it's vague. It's a concept album in spirit only because Matt realized how similar the tracks were after they were all finished. It definitely seems like they had purpose with this record to do something streamlined for once.

EDIT: To address what you said about TR and T2L, neither is a concept album if the concept applies to less than a third of each record. i.e. Uprising, Resistance, MK Ultra, Exogenesis. (US tried but its lyrics are only vaguely pertinent to a theme); and of course with T2L only the two part title track was "conceptual".

Edited by jonisdead

I'm sure he had similar ones for T2L, or no?

No, he just had that one tweet about a shitton of eclectic sonic influences. There was really no "concept" until the whole entropy thing came out. That really only can vaguely apply to the title of "Big Freeze" because the lyrics aren't conceptual at all, and The 2nd Law: Unsus + Isolated System.

I do actually wonder about what they feel about the lyrics.

Considering how good Chris' lyrics were on his tracks, it makes me wonder how much they just sort of nod along and smile at Matt and his ideas.

Chris' lyrics wasn't the best I've heard to be honest. But talking about Psycho:

maybe the song is supposed to be fun? The topic is serious but I can't stop smiling when I listen to it. For me it's like a black humour joke. Black humor is related to the grotesque genre and that's how I read Psycho lyrics.

Has anyoyne written down the full lyrics yet?

Love will get you nowhere

you are on your own lost in the wild

So come to me now

I could use someone like

someone who killed on my command

and asked no questions

your ass belongs to me now

your mind is just a program

and I’m a virus

I’m changing the station

I’ll improve your threshold

turn you into a super drone

and you will kill on my command

I won’t be responsible

your ass belongs to me now

Has anyoyne written down the full lyrics yet?

Love, it will get you nowhere

You are on your own

Lost in the wild

So come to me now

I could use someone like you

Someone who'll kill on my command

And ask no questions

I'm gonna make you

I'm gonna break you

I'm gonna make you

A fucking psycho

Fucking psycho

Ha, ha, a fucking psycho

Your ass belongs to me now

Your mind is just a program

And I'm the virus

I'm changing the station

I'll improve your thresholds

I'll turn you into a super drone (A super drone)

And you will kill on my command

And I won't be responsible

I'm gonna make you

I'm gonna break you

I'm gonna make you

A fucking psycho

A fucking psycho

Ha, ha, a fucking psycho

I'm gonna make you

I'm gonna break you

I'm gonna make you

A fucking psycho

A fucking psycho

Ha, ha, ha, a fucking psycho

You fucking psycho

Your ass belongs to me now, yeah

Apparently someone hates the cover.....http://radio.com/2015/03/13/muses-album-cover-drones-really-bad/

Such a stupid article!

Pah, they are just so jealous!

Btw, I love painted or pencil-drawn album covers! Much more artistic than photos, for that Purpose!