I don't think something shorter scale would work in that case. And he's said in the past that he uses guitar strings for the two top strings, but I have no idea what gauge. For what it's worth, they're still the brass-red-black-green color code of any standard d'addario bass set.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/royal-bloods-mike-kerr-talks-power-duo-rocking-600211

lBGK7Jp.jpg

As for tunings, I think standard, 1 step down, and 2 steps down.

Edited by james90

I don't think something shorter scale would work in that case. And he's said in the past that he uses guitar strings for the two top strings, but I have no idea what gauge. For what it's worth, they're still the brass-red-black-green color code of any standard d'addario bass set.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/royal-bloods-mike-kerr-talks-power-duo-rocking-600211

lBGK7Jp.jpg

As for tunings, I think standard, 1 step down, and 2 steps down.

Interesting. I'm curious how the setup process works with detuning? Say you get higher gauge strings for the extra tension. When you measure relief & intonation & whatnot, would your guitar/ bass would still be in standard tuning (as opposed to C tuning?)

Interesting. I'm curious how the setup process works with detuning? Say you get higher gauge strings for the extra tension. When you measure relief & intonation & whatnot, would your guitar/ bass would still be in standard tuning (as opposed to C tuning?)

The short answer to what I believe the question is, is no. I'm using an online calculator for string tension here, so I don't know how accurate the numbers are, but it should work. Also only doing one string, but that extrapolates to all.

Guitar string "6"

.046 set to E - 8.78 kg

.046 set to C - 5.53 kg

Put on bigger string so you can set it to "C standard a la QotSA.

.056 set to E - 13.58 kg

.056 set to C - 8.55 kg

Now I believe your question is if you put on a bigger gauge, and then made sure the intonation/relief were all the same...would the guitar be back into standard tuning..instead of tuning it to what you want and then setting all of those. The answer is no.

In this case adding .010 to the diameter of the string and dropping 4 semitones actually ends up with very similar tension. So, there would actually be very little you have to do setup wise. Of course that's not always the case. No idea if I even answered the question, but I had a good time.

The short answer to what I believe the question is, is no. I'm using an online calculator for string tension here, so I don't know how accurate the numbers are, but it should work. Also only doing one string, but that extrapolates to all.

Guitar string "6"

.046 set to E - 8.78 kg

.046 set to C - 5.53 kg

Put on bigger string so you can set it to "C standard a la QotSA.

.056 set to E - 13.58 kg

.056 set to C - 8.55 kg

Now I believe your question is if you put on a bigger gauge, and then made sure the intonation/relief were all the same...would the guitar be back into standard tuning..instead of tuning it to what you want and then setting all of those. The answer is no.

In this case adding .010 to the diameter of the string and dropping 4 semitones actually ends up with very similar tension. So, there would actually be very little you have to do setup wise. Of course that's not always the case. No idea if I even answered the question, but I had a good time.

Thanks so much for doing the research & typing out the explanation. I worded the question quite poorly - my apologies.

Basically I was wondering how a setup on a guitar always tuned to C tuning would be done. Would you

(A) put heavy gauge strings on it, tune it to E standard, set it up with normal neck relief, intonation & action, then once the guitar is setup, then finally detune it to C

(B) put heavy gauge strings on it, tune it to C, then set your neck relief & action & intonation based on how the guitar is in C tuning.

I hope that makes a bit more sense

Thanks so much for doing the research & typing out the explanation. I worded the question quite poorly - my apologies.

Basically I was wondering how a setup on a guitar always tuned to C tuning would be done. Would you

(A) put heavy gauge strings on it, tune it to E standard, set it up with normal neck relief, intonation & action, then once the guitar is setup, then finally detune it to C

(B) put heavy gauge strings on it, tune it to C, then set your neck relief & action & intonation based on how the guitar is in C tuning.

I hope that makes a bit more sense

Ahh, yes. Option B for sure, although there's usually some back and forth. How it would be done is tune up to whatever pitch you intend for the guitar/bass to be in. It's possible you'd have to cut the nut slots bigger to accomadate bigger strings first. If so, do that. Most likely the truss rod needs to be adjusted. Do that, retune to pitch, check truss rod, retune to pitch. (that may only need to be done once or possibly not at all.) Then adjust the action up or down. Again retune to pitch. Adjust intonation. Smash guitar into Dom's drums.

You'd do that one, set it up for the gauge of strings & tuning you want to keep it in.

I really need want another strat to have set up for drop C :awesome:

Edit: Flump beat me to it :LOL:

Thank you Flump & nerd herd. I understand now :D

Cider, aren't you already running a .64 low e?

Nope, had a 60 low E on the Cort for a while, but I switched it back to standard 10-46 afterwards. I think I want another guitar for C tuning. Tempted to turn the Double Cut into one, but :$

Ahh, yes. Option B for sure, although there's usually some back and forth. How it would be done is tune up to whatever pitch you intend for the guitar/bass to be in. It's possible you'd have to cut the nut slots bigger to accomadate bigger strings first. If so, do that. Most likely the truss rod needs to be adjusted. Do that, retune to pitch, check truss rod, retune to pitch. (that may only need to be done once or possibly not at all.) Then adjust the action up or down. Again retune to pitch. Adjust intonation. Smash guitar into Dom's drums.

This. I'd definitely get the nut slots cut properly for 13-56 gauge though. I used to switch between 10-46 in standard and 13-56 in C standard on a LP I had a while back, and just putting 13's on and doing the minor setup adjustments doesn't really work that well.

Yaaaaaas :awesome:

This is going to be a good few months for music I think.

17884252_1703271569688849_2766781606414699706_n.jpg?oh=a57ecf31345c30dc2ddcb2b44088b005&oe=5957E82C

We can't even blame Jim for that one..

Ha that's right next to the load in doors for a company I used to work for. Absolutely reeks of piss around there

enit

Also, sounds like he's using a distorted bass sound this time round. Sounds suspiciously Kris Westelholme like...

This is going to be a good few months for music I think.

17884252_1703271569688849_2766781606414699706_n.jpg?oh=a57ecf31345c30dc2ddcb2b44088b005&oe=5957E82C

We can't even blame Jim for that one..

enit

Also, sounds like he's using a distorted bass sound this time round. Sounds suspiciously Kris Westelholme like...

Yup, Royal Blood and QOTSA, is there anything else coming out this summer?

:ohmy: that fretboard makes me feel uneasy