Don't get the Halfords stuff, it's full of plasticizers so it never gets fully hard.

I have been burned by that, I'll show you an example in the morning :(

That was a narrow escape then! Thanks for the advice.

What peddle did you end up building?

On the one pedal that I successfully built, I tried swirling the enclosure, but it went horribly wrong. I guess they're made of different materials or something :facepalm:

IC big muff, though it's not built yet. Hopefully get some of it done at the weekend.

Now I really want a swirly aluminium pedal :LOL:.

As promised, this is the issue I had with the Halfords stuff. The orange and white base layers are from Halfords, sprayed and baked. I left it a few weeks, put it in a cupboard and then got it out to find it had chipped and worn. You can't see, but it also picked up some 'texture' from a plastic bag that was on top of it. pretty gutted given the hours I have into it.

I had the same problem with a Wooly Mammoth clone I sprayed sparkly green too, but I can live with that.

IMAG1280_zpsqeiqpfit.jpg[/urlIMAG1278_zpshavfahkq.jpg

Edited by Jaicen

That looks amazing, even with the paint coming off a bit. How did you get the graphics on it?

Rather than baking the enclosure, I was just planning to leave it in the shed for a while, so this may all go horribly wrong. But I'm painting it yellow, so it'll look horrible anyway.

edit: moc bodies :awesome:

Edited by nerd herd

Its painted by hand using acrylics, clearcoared with aerosol. I baked them to drive off the solvents, seems to take forever otherwise. Either way, the paint still feels slightly soft, not hard at all.

The bodies just happened to be on my table, I keep them on the house so they don't get damp.

Edit: Thank you for the kind words!

Edited by Jaicen

IC big muff, though it's not built yet. Hopefully get some of it done at the weekend.

Now I really want a swirly aluminium pedal :LOL:.

Really. That's pretty brave for a first peddle!

And yeah. I don't think it was the greatest idea to try it on a die cast enclosure, but I'm sure there are aluminum ones that would work out better.

Also, this is sort of cool. From what I understand, this band (probably with different members) was his project before Rated R came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChCzx-4UGtc

Its painted by hand using acrylics, clearcoared with aerosol. I baked them to drive off the solvents, seems to take forever otherwise. Either way, the paint still feels slightly soft, not hard at all.

The bodies just happened to be on my table, I keep them on the house so they don't get damp.

Edit: Thank you for the kind words!

Nice. I'm not going to attempt anything as detailed.

Really. That's pretty brave for a first peddle!

Is it? :facepalm: The difficulty said medium, but I thought that was just because it's made of quite a lot of parts. Plus all the easy ones were boosts, which isn't as fun as a muff.

Well for me anyway. And you could do some simpler fuzz pedals too - the fuzz face is really simple. Even I built one (until I started modifying it, which lead to its untimely death)

You don't necessarily have to paint your enclosure.

s-l1600.jpg

Well for me anyway. And you could do some simpler fuzz pedals too - the fuzz face is really simple. Even I built one (until I started modifying it, which lead to its untimely death)

You don't necessarily have to paint your enclosure.

s-l1600.jpg

Hadn't actually thought of a fuzz face. The big muff should nail the sound I want though... provided I don't ruin anything while assembling it.

There's a joke somewhere in there about pink furry muffs, I just can't quite put my finger on it.

As long as they're furry, you're ok yeah?

#WoollyClammoth

:chuckle:

Also, is there such a thing as a carbon fibre guitar case? ... Asking for a friend...I'm sure I've seen some before.

Yeah, I've only seen them online though. Must be the best way to keep a carbon fibre guitar safe.

:chuckle:

Yeah, I've only seen them online though. Must be the best way to keep a carbon fibre guitar safe.

I didn't find a whole lot. Just these massive ones which appear to be for acoustics.

Also, I found the matching power supply for the woolly clammoth (potentially NSFW?)

Really.

Is he not allowed to explain it?

:twitchy:

Mine needs redone again. I put the metal zone on it and it's made everything else sound bad, even when it's switched off. I'm not joking.

Well it's mainly dust and stuff like that. It hasn't started rusting yet.

Even if it made everything else sound bad, surely it's worth it for more Simon Niel?

To those of you in the states, Biffy just announced some more shows :ninja:

I just saw that. Won't be able to go to any of them though.

Are you going to any?

Well it's mainly dust and stuff like that. It hasn't started rusting yet.

Even if it made everything else sound bad, surely it's worth it for more Simon Niel

That's alright then :LOL:.

It is, but the secret mojo settings still remain a mystery. Also think there's a dodgy patch cable in there somewhere which might be part of the problem.

Hopefully the Pittsburgh show. It's a pretty small venue for a couple hundred at most, so that'll make for a cool show.

Cool. Have you seen them live before? I saw them at a pretty small venue (550 people) in 2013. Certainly wouldn't mind seeing them again, but I need to learn how to plan better.

That's alright then :LOL:.

It is, but the secret mojo settings still remain a mystery. Also think there's a dodgy patch cable in there somewhere which might be part of the problem.

The intro for stingin' belle never sounded so heavy, even if you're just repeating those first four beats (??? I can't count) exactly the same throughout the intro, while it's supposed to be doubling or whatever. You know, the youtube arrangement of the song.

And are we not able to tell the settings from the video? I still think a lot of the sound (especially that attack in the high end) has to do with the plexi he's using. When you bridge the channels on those, you can get varying amounts of brightness with the two volume controls.

Also, I found my old DS-2 from who knows how many years ago. Somehow it sounds better than I remember...

Cool. Have you seen them live before? I saw them at a pretty small venue (550 people) in 2013. Certainly wouldn't mind seeing them again, but I need to learn how to plan better.

The intro for stingin' belle never sounded so heavy, even if you're just repeating those first four beats (??? I can't count) exactly the same throughout the intro, while it's supposed to be doubling or whatever. You know, the youtube arrangement of the song.

And are we not able to tell the settings from the video? I still think a lot of the sound (especially that attack in the high end) has to do with the plexi he's using. When you bridge the channels on those, you can get varying amounts of brightness with the two volume controls.

Also, I found my old DS-2 from who knows how many years ago. Somehow it sounds better than I remember...

Weird to think of Biffy playing in such a small venue now. Would be amazing though :awesome:.

Yeah, the TPS video shows all his settings. I'm just using the wrong type of pickups & amps :facepalm:. Still, it's fun to make a load of noise with the metal zone.

Cool. Have you seen them live before?

I have not. I haven't really started appreciating their music until the last year or so for whatever reason. That being said, I don't know how I can pass up a Reading headliner in a small club show.

Weird to think of Biffy playing in such a small venue now. Would be amazing though :awesome:.

Yeah, the TPS video shows all his settings. I'm just using the wrong type of pickups & amps :facepalm:. Still, it's fun to make a load of noise with the metal zone.

I'll get a clip at some point of the metal zone and plexi combination. That's pretty much it.

But first, I need to learn how to play to intro to living is a problem.

I have not. I haven't really started appreciating their music until the last year or so for whatever reason. That being said, I don't know how I can pass up a Reading headliner in a small club show.

I know mate. They headlined reading around two months before I saw them at that 550 capacity club. It wasn't just that one either - I think that entire US tour was at venues like that. They did open for Muse at MSG that year though... still remember getting my face blown off by the stingin' belle intro, and the old folk in the seats in front of me desperately looking for their ear plugs.

The boss metal zone was too much for them.