Look who has an instagram now: https://www.instagram.com/mattbellamy/

So, another question for people who know electronics: I put a black Allparts switch into the Gibson a couple days ago. Only now realizing that the middle position only has the neck pickup :facepalm:

I know because my guitar is supposedly wired so that in the middle position the voluem pots are coupled - if one is 0 there'll be no sound. Well, the problem is the bridge volume at 0 doesn't do crap and the middle and neck position sound identical :facepalm:

Faulty switch problem? Or something contact cleaner can fix?

So, another question for people who know electronics: I put a black Allparts switch into the Gibson a couple days ago. Only now realizing that the middle position only has the neck pickup :facepalm:

I know because my guitar is supposedly wired so that in the middle position the voluem pots are coupled - if one is 0 there'll be no sound. Well, the problem is the bridge volume at 0 doesn't do crap and the middle and neck position sound identical :facepalm:

Faulty switch problem? Or something contact cleaner can fix?

Did you wire it correctly? Some of the switches require you to solder two tags in the middle position together I think? Sounds like that's what you've done.

James, is your Princeton an early or late one? It could be that it's one of the Brownfaces with the Blackface circuits, which are less gainy and more linear because of the higher nfb. I love the idea of a Princeton, never owned one, though they're supposedly one of the most recorded amps in history? To be clear, I know next to nothing about these other than the tweed ones, which were basically the 5F3 circuit with a 10" speaker. Makes sense as that circuit can be very loose in the low end.

I'd like to hear yours through the V30's, i'm guessing it will be super dark and soupy sounding with modern buckers.

EDIT: That bit at 4:00 when he plugs in a Tele :stongue:

Edited by Jaicen
Edit for further idiot.

Did you wire it correctly? Some of the switches require you to solder two tags in the middle position together I think? Sounds like that's what you've done.

I *think* I did, but then again this is the first aftermarket switch I bought a while ago when I had no idea how to solder, so some of the plastic (or glue) kinda melted :$ Maybe I just ruined the switch itself somehow. Is there a way to check?

Got my green strap. It's really nice - the green looks darker in person than in the pictures. the problem is I am way too damn short :facepalm: Gonna bring it to a leather store in a bit to see if they can punch an extra hole since creative weaving didn't work :$

Edited by Cider

James, is your Princeton an early or late one? It could be that it's one of the Brownfaces with the Blackface circuits, which are less gainy and more linear because of the higher nfb. I love the idea of a Princeton, never owned one, though they're supposedly one of the most recorded amps in history? To be clear, I know next to nothing about these other than the tweed ones, which were basically the 5F3 circuit with a 10" speaker. Makes sense as that circuit can be very loose in the low end.

I'd like to hear yours through the V30's, i'm guessing it will be super dark and soupy sounding with modern buckers.

EDIT: That bit at 4:00 when he plugs in a Tele :stongue:

It's an early one. Older than the one in that video actually - it's a proper brown face/brown tolex one. I can't imagine it having one of the later circuits - I think it's a 1962 or somewhere around there. 6G2 circuit I'm pretty sure.

Could be down to the tubes it has in there. They're all old ones, and the 6V6s are actually original to the amp. It's not THAT clean sounding, but certainly a little more than you'd expect.

I'm going to plug it into the 2x12 soon, just need to confirm what impedance it should be. More than likely 8 ohms.

Speaking of that, I worked on an old Mesa amp not too long ago, and discovered they did something a bit naughty with the impedance/speaker jack wiring.

His most recent one.

Mind. Blown.

Edited by james90

Yeah should have said! All it says is "Shadow" with Germany written under it, so it probably has something to do with that brand that made the acoustic pickups.

I've only seen one other back in 2008 or so. When I first plugged it in, I thought "that actually sounds pretty good unlike the londaxe" ... then I realized the tone control was all the way back. :facepalm:

On a side note (mainly for scottST), I'm meeting Samcoma this Thursday it seems.

Yeah should have said! All it says is "Shadow" with Germany written under it, so it probably has something to do with that brand that made the acoustic pickups.

I've only seen one other back in 2008 or so. When I first plugged it in, I thought "that actually sounds pretty good unlike the londaxe" ... then I realized the tone control was all the way back. :facepalm:

On a side note (mainly for scottST), I'm meeting Samcoma this Thursday it seems.

Send Sam my regards! :awesome:

NOOOOoooooo........

proper gutted m8

The other guy there remembered me from last time. It must be the Texan accent, as I did mention Jimbob from Texas owning the guitar, and he asked if I was from there too.

2696892841_e71c3cc45e.jpg

Found this unusual 80s tele with actives anyway. It's not a strat, so not sure if you'd be familiar with it

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/1983_Fender_Elite_Telecaster

James, while you are (almost) in the land of promise and dreams, I thought you would appreciate this:

One of the best adverts of modern times.

I'm still drinking that 2 litre bottle of irn bru. I'll finish it soon though.

@MuseMatt, I just got back from meeting Samcoma. I told him you said hi, but also, he reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTTYrF1YixI

Now they're adding weight relief to the speaker cabinets...

Makes it easier to knock them over.

What do you mean xD?

The two VH4 heads. Wonder if he uses them rather than the Kempers for the :facemelt: toan. Might explain why Psycho had more oomph than usual when I watched it earlier.