Frankly, have Muse ever consistently played 20 songs a night? Apart from the odd special show like Wembley or something, a quick skim through some setlists of each album tour going back to OOS seems to suggest they've been pretty consistent. 17-18 songs per show on average, with 14-16 for festivals or smaller shows. 19+ has always been pretty rare for them to be honest as far as I can see.

Frankly, have Muse ever consistently played 20 songs a night? Apart from the odd special show like Wembley or something, a quick skim through some setlists of each album tour going back to OOS seems to suggest they've been pretty consistent. 17-18 songs per show on average, with 14-16 for festivals or smaller shows. 19+ has always been pretty rare for them to be honest as far as I can see.

T2L tour

I think people were just expecting them to progress and add length to the sets once they really started hitting the big time. 15-18 was fine for the first few albums but when you become one of the most popular bands in the world and start being able to consistently sell out arenas and stadiums, you should probs up your game at least a bit. TR's stadium tour (~20 songs) > T2L's arena tour (~19/20) > T2L's stadium tour (24) looked to be a good sign of that, so it's understandable that dropping back down to 16/17 for Drones' arena tour (and only main tour, no stadiums this time) would disappoint people imo.

Edited by Jobby

Since they themselves feel that this is the max for performing, I doubt we'll get anything.

They should up their game. For a band that's been together for over 30 years this is just insulting to their fans. Maybe I should become a U2 fan.

The U2 arena shows I went to had 25 songs each night, I was very pleased with that given they're in their mid fifties now. They had a pretty set structure for the gigs but they still had had five or six rotation spots each night and weren't afraid of playing the odd rarity, one even became a staple.

I'd never expect Muse to do a Springsteen/Pearl Jam in terms of length or rotation but...I just don't get how they've managed to play less songs this tour, it baffles me. :LOL:

Very unfamiliar with their music but from what I've heard Radiohead mix things up a lot too? Have they always done that?

Muse used to rotate songs all over the place, or at least changed the order around - Absolution Tour is probably the most solid example from what I've seen, but they seem to have become more restricted over the years. Not exactly sure why, but I presume they feel it's easier for the overall production or whatever. I'm sure they could still do it if they wanted to though.

Anyway, back to the previous point. Fair play, guys, I was completely out of the loop around the T2L tour, but I just checked, and yeah...wow, haha! In that case, I can understand the disappointment this time round, I was under the impression that it was still around the same kind of length they'd always done. I only saw them on the TR tour and then the early part of the Drones tour, so it looks like I missed out on the full-length arena shows, haha!

Weren't they playing sets with 20ish songs only a few months ago?
Not sure about a few months ago but iirc the festival gigs in 2015 had more songs than they played in the following arena tour. Might be wrong though. Cba to check set lists on my phone.

I think the longest of this tour was 18 at Rock Werchter last year.

They're the same length due to Globalist being so fucking long. I guess you might have seen it as 20 if you're on setlist.fm, as Interlude, Munich Jam, Isolated System and Prelude are counted as separate songs there, which inflates the numbers. But I'd say on here, no, they don't really count.

1. Assassin

2. Hyper Music

3. Dead Star

4. Psycho

5. Map of the Problematique + Who Knows Who

6. Stockholm Syndrome + Township Rebellion + Execution Commentary

7. Agitated

8. Citizen Erased

9. Ruled By Secrecy

10. Butterflies & Hurricanes

11. Time is Running Out

12. Darkshines

13. Interlude + Hysteria

14. Plug in Baby

15. Reapers

16. Knights of Cydonia + Space Dementia Outro

17. Bliss

18. Showbiz

Download v2.0 'cause I've just been reminded how top that gig was:

Psycho

New Born

Hyper Music

The Handler

Micro Cuts

Dead Star

Citizen Erased

*Munchen Jam*

Dead Inside

Supermassive Black Hole

Map Of The Problematique

Assassin

Time Is Running Out

Mercy

Knights Of Cydonia

[JFK]

Uprising

Plug In Baby

Reapers

Stockholm Syndrome

Could maybe swap PIB to being after Mercy, either works imo.

R+L changed;

Origin of Symmetry

------

Uprising

Supermassive Black Hole

Interlude + Hysteria

Map of the Problematique

Starlight

Time is Running Out

Dead Star

Stockholm Syndrome

Knights of Cydonia

Bascially resistance and UD for Map and DS. That song choice still confused me

The U2 arena shows I went to had 25 songs each night, I was very pleased with that given they're in their mid fifties now. They had a pretty set structure for the gigs but they still had had five or six rotation spots each night and weren't afraid of playing the odd rarity, one even became a staple.

I'd never expect Muse to do a Springsteen/Pearl Jam in terms of length or rotation but...I just don't get how they've managed to play less songs this tour, it baffles me. :LOL:

Very unfamiliar with their music but from what I've heard Radiohead mix things up a lot too? Have they always done that?

Radiohead have never played the same set twice from what I recall

http://nymag.com/arts/all/process/17306/

Radiohead have never played the same set twice from what I recall

http://nymag.com/arts/all/process/17306/

Thanks, very interesting! Just had a look through some their setlists from the current tour, it's great how much they mix it up, fans can do one show or multiple nights and come away completely satisfied every time. Their sets are always a good length too. Please Muse, take note.

"If only Muse were more like Radiohead!" - Muse board, 2016

How did it come to this? :LOL:

It's been like this since 2006 to be fair.

Anyway Radiohead have 9 albums but you never really know what songs you're going to get. A few crop up more often than others but there's not so much pattern.

With Muse the structure of the setlist and staples have barely changed since 2007, plus the sets are generally shorter with more filler.

It's been like this since 2006 to be fair.

Anyway Radiohead have 9 albums but you never really know what songs you're going to get. A few crop up more often than others but there's not so much pattern.

With Muse the structure of the setlist and staples have barely changed since 2007, plus the sets are generally shorter with more filler.

Sounds about right.

Seems to be a constant on an occasionally mood-shifting board - I'm pretty sure there was a period on here when The Resistance was rated as better than Black Holes, and Invincible was seen as the worst cheese moment. How times change. :chuckle:

Certainly, a staple is overdue dropping. They had seemed to get it better on the last tour, given Plug in Baby and Hysteria were hardly every-show regulars on T2L, but on this they've rarely been out.

R+L changed;

Origin of Symmetry

------

Uprising

Supermassive Black Hole

Interlude + Hysteria

Map of the Problematique

Starlight

Time is Running Out

Dead Star

Stockholm Syndrome

Knights of Cydonia

Bascially resistance and UD for Map and DS. That song choice still confused me

Resistance has never really been great live, I love the album track but it loses so much punch live. Not many Muse songs sound better in the studio but that is one of them. (If it weren't for the 2006 bootlegs, I would say the same about Starlight,)