24-105mm is neat too and has IS but not as wide, we are talking about crazy barrel distortion wide. You do however have more tele on the 24-105 but I don't think 24 is wide enough especially when it's a cropped sensor, 24 on full frame is nice (consider a 5d mark 2 or even 6d if you want full frame, they even come with good everyday lenses (24-70 or 34-105)

Best lens to start with is a prime 50mm lens. Mainly because the limitation of focal length encourages creativity (which is why I'm rocking a fixed 23mm)

Ok some extra reading on the lens, sadly 17-40 isn't good for crop, amazing for full frame but not crop. Consider a 5 or 6d, full frame allows you to do proper wide shots

Hmmmm, good point. I wasn't really sure of the diff full frame makes, but I've read a few articles and it does seem like it would make a difference. I might tell the bf to get the 6D and I'll pay for the difference, as I would like to get into photography at some point. Unfortunately the 5D is really out of our price range. I may even ask bf to wait until I have a job and then we can go halvies on the 5d. Hmm.....

Thank you for giving me so much to consider! I feel much more enlightened!

Agree with the nifty fifty, that lens changed my life, kinda.

looks like it's the 50!

On a 7D you might want to get a 30 mm, for instance the Sigma 1.4 (or you could get the 35 mm 1.4, since you could later use it on a full frame camera if you decide to get one).

If I were to do it again I'd go straight to full frame to avoid the whole need for future proofing

But but but but but....monies

monies :( Will seriously consider it though!

I would say the 17-55 f2.8 would be a great option too, although pricey.

:D thanks! Will look into all the options you guys have given me! :happy:

Okay since reading this we're going to go for the 6D. I'm getting a couple of grand back on my tax return, so it won't be too bad on the pocket! :)

Thanks everyone!!

good luck with your new camera, I can't wait to see what you can do with it :happy: really poweerful stuff!

got a few new photos for you guys, honestly thank you so much for all your comments on my previous photos...you have all inspired me so much to keep getting out there and shootin...so glad I got back into it! :)

9528183764_89956561cc_z.jpg

9527586312_dafcbabb8b_z.jpg

9524801349_074a0740b6_z.jpg

9527586432_a0564c7dc0_z.jpg

After further research we ended up getting the Nikon d600 kit. It makes sense because we have some Nikon lenses (although not fx lenses)

Now to save up for a 50mm lens! Yay! Very pleased with it. Can't waaaait to play with it once it's all charged and ready to go!

Nice photos btw misutzu!! I liked your 'selfie' one :)

Was going through old photos and found this one I had taken in Paris in 2011, aww being a creeper:

tumblr_lmwkdhbYr61qcy4fzo1_1280.jpg

Also found 2011 stuff from part of a larger thing where I was messing with disposable cameras and hoping for light leaks:

tumblr_lw7ya007641qcy4fzo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lw7xz9AZk51qcy4fzo1_1280.jpg

I have a nice Nikon, but I really only use it for art documentation and creating specific, detailed references or photographic components of broader projects... like this glitter stuff:

tumblr_m09nvpC2oO1qcy4fzo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m09nxygjs41qcy4fzo1_1280.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by gray matte effect; have you tried playing around with white balance or the other sliders?

I played around with white balance but it doesn't look quite right. I'm not sure how to describe the effect...other than that it looks vintage-y and there's a grey cast to it. I know Photoshop was used for these:

IMG_9736.jpg

ParkandCube_Spain_01.jpg

9495512103_80e415f38b_o.jpg

I heard about this a bit too late really, but I'm intrigued by this len's effect that they're intending to recreate.

http://www.lomography.com/magazine/news/2013/08/22/petzval-update-new-photos-and-a-belgrade-summer-video-for-your-viewing-pleasure

the total pledged :eek: I don't think they needed a kickstarter after all :erm:

Camera is AMAZING. I love it!!!! Such a good investment. Shots to come when I get the camera back! The time lapse setting is awesome too and really good for the website.

I'm in love! Next investments! 50mm f1.8 (don't think I can justify the extra $400 for a f/1.4) then a macro lens. :D any recommendations for a macro?

Camera is AMAZING. I love it!!!! Such a good investment. Shots to come when I get the camera back! The time lapse setting is awesome too and really good for the website.

I'm in love! Next investments! 50mm f1.8 (don't think I can justify the extra $400 for a f/1.4) then a macro lens. :D any recommendations for a macro?

Ask some Nikon people now that you've screwed over the canon folks :p

Nikon 105mm f/2.8. One of the best lenses I've ever used.

Just ask the photographer, they'll appreciate the feedback :) looks more saturation than white balance

Yep already started writing an email. I checked her Formspring beforehand and someone already asked her about editing. she responded with a tutorial link. it's titled "How I Edit My Pictures" but that's not really how she edits her photos. :erm: at least not with that yellow cast.

perhaps they just used VSCO? seems probable.

I think she uses a bunch of adjustment layers in Photoshop, but I'm sure a similar effect can be achieved with VSCO. I may just need to sit down and go through some Photoshop tutorials. These days I only use it for adding text and clone stamp. :(

I played around with white balance but it doesn't look quite right. I'm not sure how to describe the effect...other than that it looks vintage-y and there's a grey cast to it. I know Photoshop was used for these:

IMG_9736.jpg

ParkandCube_Spain_01.jpg

9495512103_80e415f38b_o.jpg

Trying increasing the highlights and the whites in lightroom