I'm not gonna praise the song just because Chris wrote it which is what I swear everyone else likes it for :LOL: intimate, heartfelt and personal things are all nice and stuff, but it doesn't excuse how dull the song is.

I think that's the exact reason why people love it. OMG CHRIS GETS TO SING, IT'S HIS VERY OWN SONG THAT HE WROTE. That's great and I can see how personal a song it is, yadda yadda - but it builds up and leads to nothing. It's a real yawn, up there with GL.

Trust me - there are SO many 'fans' like this. Of course there are the ones who know a few more than just that, but people who go just to say they have are really common.

Why not play some of the more interesting material then because the singles have always been "awkward songs just tossed in to get some commercial appeal". All these fans that hear these "hits" are going to expect hits and then Micro Cuts/The Small Print/Take a Bow/Assassin will hit them in the face and they'll become uninterested in the band.

I don't think people pay £60-£70 just to hear a band they know a few hits by. Also, the less played songs are good enough that even if people haven't heard them before, they'll have instant impact. The people who have seen Muse even as little as 3 times must be getting bored of Starlight and might not react much to it these days. I could feel the drop in atmosphere in the crowd at Reading when OoS ended and the predictables began.

Also, all the people at the arenas are some sort of Muse fan, whereas there would have been a significant number of non-Musers at Leeds/Reading as it's a festival. :p

Nah, they do. I know plenty of people who have done it. I even know people who have gone to festivals 'to see Muse'. I was right up the front when I saw them at a festival over here and was talking to the girl beside me and said "I only know Uprising but I know Muse are good". Obviously she's only one person, but I know of others too.

I imagine as a hardcore yourself, you would've been up the front with the other hardcores. It's very hard to gauge the reaction of people behind you when you're looking forward and only see more hardcores! As I said, gauging R/L in comparison to anything is ridiculous because the people who do bitch about stuff like this were the ones up the front who have heard it all before and experienced a gig for hardcores.

But the point made by both Matt and Chris regarding Chris singing is to allow Matt to rock out without having to think about singing :LOL:

Chris has every other song in the setlist to rock out to.

True enough, but strangely, even though Matt is free to rock out Liquid State is far far more bass heavy and doesn't have a lot of crazy guitar.

Though live...that could change...

I don't see why Muse shouldn't play lesser known songs. With the energy they deliver, their performance still gets to the crowd. And I think I have the right so say that since I travelled all the way from Mexico in order to attend R/L; half the setlist was rare and people were still having a good time.

The only quiet moments were Screenager, Undisclosed Desires and Resistance(which I also think has no place on this tour's setlist, I think the BHAR songs fit better to The 2nd Law's themes).

EDIT: But overall, I had an awesome time watching the stream. The boys still got it! :)

True enough, but strangely, even though Matt is free to rock out Liquid State is far far more bass heavy and doesn't have a lot of crazy guitar.

Though live...that could change...

It actually has loads of guitar, it's just tuned down and playing in the bass range.

But yes, it doesn't really have THAT much going on guitar wise...or songwise in general.

I don't see why Muse shouldn't play lesser known songs. With the energy they deliver, their performance still gets to the crowd. And I think I have the right so say that since I travelled all the way from Mexico in order to attend R/L; half the setlist was rare and people were still having a good time.

R/L isn't exactly a fair comparison tbh.

Nah, they do. I know plenty of people who have done it. I even know people who have gone to festivals 'to see Muse'. I was right up the front when I saw them at a festival over here and was talking to the girl beside me and said "I only know Uprising but I know Muse are good". Obviously she's only one person, but I know of others too.

I imagine as a hardcore yourself, you would've been up the front with the other hardcores. It's very hard to gauge the reaction of people behind you when you're looking forward and only see more hardcores! As I said, gauging R/L in comparison to anything is ridiculous because the people who do bitch about stuff like this were the ones up the front who have heard it all before and experienced a gig for hardcores.

I wasn't up the front at Leeds or Reading :p Festival crowds are rough! I was a good way back at both. I'm not that hardcore either. I only go to one concert per tour, unlike other people :happy:

I think that's the exact reason why people love it. OMG CHRIS GETS TO SING, IT'S HIS VERY OWN SONG THAT HE WROTE. That's great and I can see how personal a song it is, yadda yadda - but it builds up and leads to nothing. It's a real yawn, up there with GL.

It's not the worst on the album, but it's certainly not memorable or worth praising in my eyes. It's not Musey at all. Without the Bellamy stamp, it's just 'Chris Wolstenholme writes a new song for new album'. I realise he is also part of Muse, but we can make excuses all day about stuff like that. All in all, it's boring.

Why not play some of the more interesting material then because the singles have always been "awkward songs just tossed in to get some commercial appeal". All these fans that hear these "hits" are going to expect hits and then Micro Cuts/The Small Print/Take a Bow/Assassin will hit them in the face and they'll become uninterested in the band.

I'm not sure what your point is here. :LOL:

At RHCP they played a few older songs like Higher Ground and despite 60% of the crowd not knowing the song the whole place got into it, singing lyrics they didn't know and having a good time. A great song, no matter how popular it is, will get a crowd going and will keep the whole place happy.

At RHCP they played a few older songs like Higher Ground and despite 60% of the crowd not knowing the song the whole place got into it, singing lyrics they didn't know and having a good time. A great song, no matter how popular it is, will get a crowd going and will keep the whole place happy.

Higher Ground is a song that gets played on the radio nowadays despite its oldness. Not the best comparison.

RHCP are radio-friendly in all sense of the word compared to Muse rly

also, old RHCP songs are a lot alike new ones, where as old Muse songs seem massively different than the new stuff. Lotso schisms.

I'm saying if people that aren't really fans go to a "pop-infested greatest hit gig" that is the music they will expect. They'll certainly be disappointed when Black Holes and Revelations sound nothing like Starlight. They'll be disappointed when Time is Running Out sounds very little like Absolution.

Yes, but what is your point? That this will make the not-so-hardcore-fans leave?

How could they possibly be more bored of Citizen Erased, a song that appeared maybe 10-15 times throughout the past 3 years vs Plug in Baby or Starlight which was played at every single gig?

I suspect they're bored of all three, but feel more obliged to play the latter

Archived