james90

winner jamesninety :awesome:

$5 and a 3 Musketeers bar in the post.

DSC03442.jpg

It's so soft inside :supersad:

obviously using Unknown Pleasures and Kid A to cover up my mad muse collection/dragon dildos etc.

oh yeah that looks fucking comfy, I could dwell in there all day

stock, I have thought about modding it however, as there is a bit of hum that shows up slightly in the quiet parts of recording. Nothing that a bit of gate or careful track splicing can't fix.

Is it possible to get good sounds out of that amp? I modded the hell out of mine in search of the Tone but maybe it was just me who couldn't get a good tone out of it.

I gonna post a sample of it's tone one day, i wonder how much it changed compared to the stock tone.

Is it possible to get good sounds out of that amp? I modded the hell out of mine in search of the Tone but maybe it was just me who couldn't get a good tone out of it.

I gonna post a sample of it's tone one day, i wonder how much it changed compared to the stock tone.

What have you done to it exactly? And is the speaker stock?

Oh and Jim

dptp.jpg

Nice Fender champ and Pulp Fiction poster :awesome:

:awesome:

ROYALLLLL WITH CHEESEEEEEEEE.

oh yeah that looks fucking comfy, I could dwell in there all day

inorite?! Cookie monster's anus fo sho

I'd like to compare it with an original one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVGWICF5-i8

obviously a bit harder to judge from a digital video without a proper mic but omnomnomnom the 1951 champ is yummy. The guy in the video seems to be all for the "Mercury Mod" one, but I'm not so sure. I think it's too harsh. And very noisy.

But yeah, please do post a sample or whatever at some point, I'd quite like to hear it. As for my own one, yeah I quite like how it is as stock. Depends on how you use it. I rely on pedals quite a lot.

What have you done to it exactly? And is the speaker stock?

Oh and Jim

dptp.jpg

@Jim

i will never find it probably

1493xv8.jpg

@James

Here is what i can remember:

New tubes (Tung-Sol 12AX7 & JJ 6V6)

New OT from MSP transformers (its much bigger than the original)

Bypassed the fixed tonestack and swapped the coupling caps to Oranges

Switchable basscut on the input

Switchable neative feedback resistor

Switchable LP filter after the transformer (this means hugeass caps and resistors)

Rebiased the output tube for symmetrical clipping (it is permanently misbiased stock)

External speaker cab with original pre-rola g12m greenback

It can produce some good drive tones sometimes when i crank the volume pot.

What i dont like is that it have more treble with the volume pot at 50% than when it is cranked.

I dont know if this is normal with amps only with a single volume control before the imput tube or my low input mod messed with it a bit.

The guy in the video seems to be all for the "Mercury Mod" one, but I'm not so sure. I think it's too harsh. And very noisy.

Is he joking about that mercury mod? sounds like a metal zone with the drive up full... If he wanted an amp to sound like that wy didnt he just buy another amp...

/blasphemy

What i dont like is that it have more treble with the volume pot at 50% than when it is cranked.

is there a capacitor across that pot?

Marshall used to put a 5000pf capacitor across the volume pot in their amps, and they sounded ridiculously bright unless the amp was pretty much cranked

but that was more to make the amps sell. Someone would be shopping for the loudest amp possible, then as soon as they plug into one of these, they notice how it's already much louder than the other amps with the volume on 1

They don't get much louder past around 5 though...just more distorted

Marshall used to put a 5000pf capacitor across the volume pot in their amps, and they sounded ridiculously bright unless the amp was pretty much cranked

but that was more to make the amps sell. Someone would be shopping for the loudest amp possible, then as soon as they plug into one of these, they notice how it's already much louder than the other amps with the volume on 1

Wasn't that Fender? As those are loud at 1.

Wasn't that Fender? As those are loud at 1.

I'm sure Fender did something similar at one point or another (I think the bright switch on the bassman basically lets you switch one in or out, but a much smaller value), but probably to change the sound rather than make it appear louder.

The super bass you have for example shouldn't have one of those capacitors, so it won't sound nearly as bright and the volume won't come on as fast. It should put out just as much power as a super lead though

Overall it sounds better with the treble loss but i miss some of those earpiercing frequencies.

It can't do Clapton (Bluesbreakers era, some Cream songs like Strange Brew) or IntelligentAI's Red House tones, it misses the icepicky pick attack, the presence for those tones.

I don't know if a low volume setting+pedals could get that because i like the amps driven tone more than my Rat's or Tubescreamers. I should probably try more drives.

I'm sure Fender did something similar at one point or another (I think the bright switch on the bassman basically lets you switch one in or out, but a much smaller value), but probably to change the sound rather than make it appear louder.

The super bass you have for example shouldn't have one of those capacitors, so it won't sound nearly as bright and the volume won't come on as fast. It should put out just as much power as a super lead though

Every Fender amp I've used has been like that!

The bright channel on my Super Bass is very easy to control volume wise, but the normal channel, which isn't bright at all is more difficult. Did once get an offer to have it modded to Super Lead spec (Basically adding that capacitor), but didn't fancy it.

My '62 Bassman and all of the 60's Super's that I've used over the last thirty years have similar response to the volume. It gets louder until you hit 4 or 5 on the volume control, after that it just gets more dirty. This is because the volume is part of the circuit that feeds into the power section, it's not really a part of the power section. So your just getting more gain to the power amp driver after it reaches a certain level, which causes the power tube saturation and compression. It's one of my favorite things about the Fender brown and blackface circuits.

JT

My '62 Bassman and all of the 60's Super's that I've used over the last thirty years have similar response to the volume. It gets louder until you hit 4 or 5 on the volume control, after that it just gets more dirty. This is because the volume is part of the circuit that feeds into the power section, it's not really a part of the power section. So your just getting more gain to the power amp driver after it reaches a certain level, which causes the power tube saturation and compression. It's one of my favorite things about the Fender brown and blackface circuits.

JT

Yeah, the only old Fenders I've owned were either low wattage ones (champ, vibro champ, and princeton) and a few bassmans (various different circuits). I think the only one that truly got louder and louder was this silverface princeton I had... very clean sounding amp. I know the older ones weren't like that though, especially the brownface ones.

Got my new straps today (I've got nothing else to post)

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

Yes, the matching was intentional :facepalm: But also... I need to have this framed. I've never been more impressed by the packaging than the actual product (well, not since I was about 2 years old anyway).

IMG_1079.jpg

And no, I didn't tell them to draw something in the notes section when I was ordering

I finally took some pictures in the sun. The guitar went back to Suhr for some fine tuning, it's now perfect. I'm getting in trouble from the wife for playing it too much.

I've done two gigs with it and the sound guy and our roadie are all freaked out by how good it sounds. I've become a little bit whammy addicted, I need to lay off the trills and divebombs, but it really is crazy fun.

Full-Front.jpg

Body-Front.jpg

Body-Back.jpg

Headstock-Front.jpg

The-Fish.jpg

JT