GAS Thread: it's just too expensive to drive this.

cheddatom

Now now guys, lay off Jamie yeah? Just because you go around being arrogant pricks all over the internet doesn't make you cool or popular. It's just because this is the internet. You cant get beaten up here so this is the place where you choose to be a cunt to everyone, because you're safe. You take on a whole new persona over here which in fact masks your real personality that you hold outside the board. Now grow up and stop showing off you shit.

Ok?

Ok.

Now now guys, lay off Jamie yeah? Just because you go around being arrogant pricks all over the internet doesn't make you cool or popular. It's just because this is the internet. You cant get beaten up here so this is the place where you choose to be a cunt to everyone, because you're safe. You take on a whole new persona over here which in fact masks your real personality that you hold outside the board. Now grow up and stop showing off you shit.

Ok?

Ok.

:LOL: Hardly anyone in KnT will get the reference.

So I've been looking a bit more into this kit guitar business. I was pretty much set on a Tele, but I did a quick look for Jag/Jazzmasters. There arent many kits out there for those, not at a decent price anyway, but I did come across this:

http://www.diyguitarshop.co.uk/content/images/kits/DKM01A_details.htm

At first I dismissed it because it wasnt actually the right shape, but check out this picture of it:

7568597524_8bc6c9174d.jpg

Jazzmaster kit guitar - quick layout. by coldnebraskablue, on Flickr

Is it just me, or does that have a distinctly Tesico-esque quality to it? Imagine it with a really bad 3 tone sunburst, a nice bit of wear, maybe a black pickguard and a black headstock, and probably similar pickups to this:

AudEdit3.jpg

I dunno, I think I could turn that into rather a Teisco-esque guitar. And the specs are really good, 3 piece alder body etc.

I am very intrigued.

So what are the actual thoughts on this? Good idea?

I think I could probably do the whole thing for around the £200 mark. Hmmmmmmmmmmm decisions decisions.

And if I do, it'll be getting a pair of Wilkinson P90s for sure :yesey:

And I'll need to come up with a logo for this one :eek:

Yeah thats my Audition. It'll probably serve as the inspiration for this build if I go ahead with it.

I'd do the finish too. I'm pretty sure ManchesterGuitarTech does some nitro burst kits. No doubt about it, it'll be much harder than the daphne finish, but there has to be a first time for everything!

Does sound cool... although, you have a burst finish on a guitar already right? Only suggestion I'd have is to have a different finish, or different colour burst. Bit nitpicky :LOL:

Oh also, the Wilkinsons. I've got a pair of Wilkinson Humbuckers on my SG, they sound great distortion wise but honestly, clean, they sound piss poor. I know you'd get P90s, but I'm just putting it out there

Does sound cool... although, you have a burst finish on a guitar already right? Only suggestion I'd have is to have a different finish, or different colour burst. Bit nitpicky :LOL:

I dooo, I have two in fact. I dunno, I mean I am going for the sunburst 60s/70s Teisco vibe with this. I think if I were to go with the Jag kit, it would be sunburst, because I honestly dont think it would look that great in anything else. Unless perhaps it had binding instead of the roundovers. If I went for a solid colour then it would be a different kit, most likely one of the Teles.

Oh also, the Wilkinsons. I've got a pair of Wilkinson Humbuckers on my SG, they sound great distortion wise but honestly, clean, they sound piss poor. I know you'd get P90s, but I'm just putting it out there

That bit I would disagree with. The zebra humbucker I have in Daphne is a Wilkinson and I honestly adore it. Admittedly it is only in the bridge, which I usually use for slightly overdriven stuff, but as an all round pickup I cant really fault it. I was actually so impressed with it that I've considered replacing the pickups in my Les Paul with a Wilkinson set.

But having said that, I do usually use the neck and middle single coils for cleans, so youre not entirely off the mark.

I dooo, I have two in fact. I dunno, I mean I am going for the sunburst 60s/70s Teisco vibe with this. I think if I were to go with the Jag kit, it would be sunburst, because I honestly dont think it would look that great in anything else. Unless perhaps it had binding instead of the roundovers. If I went for a solid colour then it would be a different kit, most likely one of the Teles.

That bit I would disagree with. The zebra humbucker I have in Daphne is a Wilkinson and I honestly adore it. Admittedly it is only in the bridge, which I usually use for slightly overdriven stuff, but as an all round pickup I cant really fault it. I was actually so impressed with it that I've considered replacing the pickups in my Les Paul with a Wilkinson set.

But having said that, I do usually use the neck and middle single coils for cleans, so youre not entirely off the mark.

I get what you mean about the other finishes... I do get the feeling a solid colour with a white binding would look cool though.

And fair enough, if the sound suits you then that's what counts. Seeing as mine came with the guitar, and the guitar only cost around £175, I'd assume they're pretty low end pups anyway

Absolutely, and finding them is half the fun. And painting them :awesome:

Indeed! I've searched a few times but I have a friend that literally makes all his money through finding cheap guitar bodies/necks/pups, shoving them together, setting them up perfectly and then selling them on. Same guy that did this guitar for me actually

My tele's a gem.

Yet you're selling it.

Archived