hooglebug, i have a question, i have an old truetone archtop i got for cheap but the fretboard is a little crap to say the least and has a slight separation at the headstock end, i was wondering if you'd be able to remove the current fretboard and make a new one so that it has a better playability

any help would be great! :)

it shouldnt be a problem. obviously i would have to see it to tell, but i've steamed off a few fretboards in my time. it might be that you'd be able to glue the original fretboard back down, take the frets out and re do it all on the original

to be honest hooglebug the original fretboard is a bit rubbish, and as it goes to the body it becomes free floating, which means the end has dipped down, what kind of price range would i be looking at for a new fretboard? it's for sale at the moment but if it doesn't sell i'd be interested in having it done as it's a damn cool archtop.

Robert Sledge, same guy that's been with him. Check him out on Erase Me from bens latest album. May be building a bass for him. He's one of my favorite bassists.

I actually didn't know he was still going, I'll have to get the latest album. Sometimes I find him a bit too annoying but the bassist is ace, I especially like his filthy toanz

James, do you have both of ants builds with you now?

nope, should have the other one by the end of the week though - hopefully it's still presentable as it was looking a bit battered last time I saw it! nothing horrible, but the finish had a few dull spots and a fair few nicks and scratches on the sides and back

seemed to be holding up fine and was still playing great though. has some heavier strings (12's I think) in standard, and unfortunately I'm not man enough for that!

Did you want to meet up in NYC next week sometime? send me a message if you want to sort something out!

did the burst on the jnr + today and oof that top looks good. its all shimmery and lovely. no pics, because i need to go over the outer brown a bit more because its uneven on the shoulder and horn - the lighting isnt the best in my "workshop" (dusty old garage)

Was there another jnr as well? What finish will that have? aghghghg too many choices

Love how that one looks

Also, I'm having the pickups for the red strat sent directly to you (as they're being wound in the UK anyway). might be a good 3-4 weeks, but let me know when you receive them

• 9 months later...

wowzers its been a long time. those jnrs STILL havent been finished yet, but soon. soon.

as it is, i need a new camera, so i want to sell these at knock down prices

82.jpg

if anyone fancies making a SENSIBLE offer (no mars bars please, i know you're all thinking it), then i have a figure in mind for each, so if you're close, why not.

any offer would include a case but not shipping. the burst is as new, but the goldtop has a little dent in the finish, and a couple of finishing flaws, so the goldtop will be knocked down more than the burst. as a guide, new the burst would be £2500, gt £2100

wowzers its been a long time. those jnrs STILL havent been finished yet, but soon. soon.

as it is, i need a new camera, so i want to sell these at knock down prices

82.jpg

if anyone fancies making a SENSIBLE offer (no mars bars please, i know you're all thinking it), then i have a figure in mind for each, so if you're close, why not.

any offer would include a case but not shipping. the burst is as new, but the goldtop has a little dent in the finish, and a couple of finishing flaws, so the goldtop will be knocked down more than the burst. as a guide, new the burst would be £2500, gt £2100

*gets wallet out*

Remind me, is the scale of the sunburst 25.5" or 24.75"?

Somehow I was thinking it was Fender scale, but maybe that was something else. Do post the updates on the Jnr + though... :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...

ok, so i've been torturing myself looking at lenses and so on, and i have a LONG list of stuff i want, no, need. well, want really. so here's the thing. i need to get rid of these guitars.

so bargain time

the goldtop - £1500 (+ a bit more for a case)

the burst - £1850 (+ a bit more for a case)

come onnnnnnnnnnnn

ok, so i've been torturing myself looking at lenses and so on, and i have a LONG list of stuff i want, no, need. well, want really. so here's the thing. i need to get rid of these guitars.

so bargain time

the goldtop - £1500 (+ a bit more for a case)

the burst - £1850 (+ a bit more for a case)

come onnnnnnnnnnnn

So tempted by the burst. I think that's my favorite one that you've done.

How's that other one doing? Or are you still working on the chrome thing?

So tempted by the burst. I think that's my favorite one that you've done.

How's that other one doing? Or are you still working on the chrome thing?

do itttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

im going to spray black tomorrow then leave it for a week or so to make sure all the fumes have gone. while im leaving that im going to spray the jnrs. then i can go back to the chrome while they're curing, and by the time thats done the jnrs might be ready for finishing up

• 2 months later...

well its taken FAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR too long, but this ones finally done. in case you're wondering, the other jnr developed problems with the finish on the top so i stripped it and am respraying it. and its spoken for anyway so...

but this one, you can buy this one. you should buy this one. buy it.

_DSC7314_zps902f80a5.jpg

_DSC7315_zpsa972c74e.jpg

_DSC7319_zps63f45b5a.jpg

well its taken FAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR too long, but this ones finally done. in case you're wondering, the other jnr developed problems with the finish on the top so i stripped it and am respraying it. and its spoken for anyway so...

but this one, you can buy this one. you should buy this one. buy it.

Hnnnnnnnnnng. I like that a lot.

Archived