well i've stuck some burl to some normal maple (for a bit of strength) to make some back plates. i'll see how they look when its done, if not i can always just do some ebony ones.

i've decided that the goldtop is going to get a proper makeover and im going to give it a carved bound back too. its still going to be all gold, it'll just look a bit cooler.

• 2 weeks later...

i've made the back plates for the burl, i think im going to do them cherry because it looked pretty cool. at the mo im carving the new back for the gold top. i'll need to buy some more binding for that.

then once thats on, everything stops until it gets warm. because i cant spray when its this cold, and i cant buy anymore wood to get on with the burl, because i have no money

it depends. theres a wood yard about an hour away that i go to sometimes. theres mahogany there and lots of zebrano, purpleheart, wenge, sycamore etc. john boddy's its called. then theres exotic hardwoods uk, david dyke, ebay for figured maple usually. and recently found out there is a place really close to me that sometimes has birdseye maple, so when i need some of that i can ring them to see if they have any and go there if they have. which would have been useful to know before but o well

• 2 months later...

haha yes he said. havent started that because im waiting for the neck and all the bits. but theres a body blank, a HUGE bit of plastic and a massive long bit of stainless steel waiting - which im NOT looking forward to using!

no leds though, so thats a plus.

haha yes he said. havent started that because im waiting for the neck and all the bits. but theres a body blank, a HUGE bit of plastic and a massive long bit of stainless steel waiting - which im NOT looking forward to using!

no leds though, so thats a plus.

Yeah sorry :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well it took two or three weeks to bend all that plastic and stainless steel and get it stuck on right, and less than an hour to take it all off again.

yesterday, halfway through the sanding process (my binding bit has a bearing .2mm smaller than the binding, so i had to sand it all down slowly, if i'd done it fast the binding would have heated up and melted the glue) i took the tape off the front and back for the first time.

now i dont know if i got a less dense opal plastic, or if its just his choice of wood - ash - but you could clearly see the grain through it. bastard. he told me that the original is clearly solid white. i told him it clearly wasnt, and we used opal because he wanted it to be like the original. so either i didnt explain it clearly enough to him, or he didnt understand it properly, but either way, its all off, and solid white plastic is on the way.

in other news, if anyone wants any opal plastic, i've got a shit load of it for sale

I believe sam has just bought back the barnettcaster that Hooglebug saved

That guitar is a part of K&T history

Was he not able to find the other one that hooglebug completely built from the ground up?

well it took two or three weeks to bend all that plastic and stainless steel and get it stuck on right, and less than an hour to take it all off again.

yesterday, halfway through the sanding process (my binding bit has a bearing .2mm smaller than the binding, so i had to sand it all down slowly, if i'd done it fast the binding would have heated up and melted the glue) i took the tape off the front and back for the first time.

now i dont know if i got a less dense opal plastic, or if its just his choice of wood - ash - but you could clearly see the grain through it. bastard. he told me that the original is clearly solid white. i told him it clearly wasnt, and we used opal because he wanted it to be like the original. so either i didnt explain it clearly enough to him, or he didnt understand it properly, but either way, its all off, and solid white plastic is on the way.

in other news, if anyone wants any opal plastic, i've got a shit load of it for sale

I think the original was ash. It must be the transparency of that plastic because the original one DEFINITELY wasn't solid white. Sure, it looks like that on stage, but in the other pictures, you can see the control route through the front. It's probably also how he got the light up headstock logo to work.

That guitar is a part of K&T history

Was he not able to find the other one that hooglebug completely built from the ground up?

Dont think he looked tbh, i loved that guitar too.

Here it is at present, hes planning on putting an Aftermath in the bridge. T'was a Warpig but the guy took it oot

EBk2I4.jpg

Edited by Matthijs

I think the original was ash. It must be the transparency of that plastic because the original one DEFINITELY wasn't solid white. Sure, it looks like that on stage, but in the other pictures, you can see the control route through the front. It's probably also how he got the light up headstock logo to work.

i know it wasnt solid. otherwise the leds wouldnt have shown through. i just dont think he really understood what was happening.

anyway, its off now and ready for the new stuff. whenever that shows up.

also, crikey, that takes me back. not necessarily in a good way either!

musecasters made a guitar for someone from korn and someone wanted him to do a copy of it but he wouldnt so james sent him to me. only its not a proper copy because its not having leds or a midi strip. and now no opal plastic, just white