Changes AKA How the new staff team are going to spoil your fun

kev

This is true, a lot of the most negative people (not just in Banter) seem to be very respected so reporting them might make one a lot enemies

The reporting system is confidential as far as I know. How can they make an enemy if they don't even know who reported them?

This is true, a lot of the most negative people (not just in Banter) seem to be very respected so reporting them might make one a lot enemies

Just to remind people: reports are anonymous. People don't know who reports them, we do not tell them and they don't see the report.

I just don't want any misunderstanding here.

I did not start that thread in Banter to stir beef, I swear. I honestly thought that was where I should go. But now that it has been locked, I think anyone here can go and see exactly what some of us have been talking about. Here is my issue, and hopefully someone can explain this to me:

In particular gig threads, you are supposed to post about that gig. Ok, I get that. And I have seen mods tell people in those gig threads to keep it about the gigs. (ie, Raleigh, NC). So, if those people want a place to go and continue their conversation, where are they supposed to go? Obviously there cannot be a Love Boat for anything other than an individual .mu boardie. Ok, I get that. But apparently you can't post anything about "the band that shall not be named" in Banter either. I guess I just don't understand why we are constantly being told what we Cannot post and Where we cannot post it, but are given no indication of where we can.

Just to remind people: reports are anonymous. People don't know who reports them, we do not tell them and they don't see the report.

I just don't want any misunderstanding here.

Yeh I know but some people don't know that but moreover, I think people question themselves over whether they're being silly being offended when you see who's being the knob, and how well they seem to be respected. Also, I dunno, it's a bit like you would never go to a teacher because of a fight with a classmate when you were little. Obviously this is wrong and needs to change, but I think it's why people don't report so much.

No, I know reports are confidential but if someone attacks you and then gets banned, it's obvious you reported him/her

Yeah, but we're still the ones doing the banning, so it only happens if we think what they did was worthy of a ban anyway.

I did not start that thread in Banter to stir beef, I swear. I honestly thought that was where I should go. But now that it has been locked, I think anyone here can go and see exactly what some of us have been talking about. Here is my issue, and hopefully someone can explain this to me:

In particular gig threads, you are supposed to post about that gig. Ok, I get that. And I have seen mods tell people in those gig threads to keep it about the gigs. (ie, Raleigh, NC). So, if those people want a place to go and continue their conversation, where are they supposed to go? Obviously there cannot be a Love Boat for anything other than an individual .mu boardie. Ok, I get that. But apparently you can't post anything about "the band that shall not be named" in Banter either. I guess I just don't understand why we are constantly being told what we Cannot post and Where we cannot post it, but are given no indication of where we can.

Make one in each forum and use the one that doesn't get locked. :)

I'm just talking about something I've seen. A newcomer posted something and was attacked by several people, some of whom were banned. Then friends of those who were banned began badgering the newcomer, asking him if he had reported them

I'm just talking about something I've seen. A newcomer posted something and was attacked by several people, some of whom were banned. Then friends of those who were banned began badgering the newcomer, asking him if he had reported them

Haha where was this? Not in banter, that's for sure ;)

Haha where was this? Not in banter, that's for sure ;)

Nope, Main Muse.

Not really. What are they going to do anyway? Crawl through your screen and batter you with the keyboard?

Look at the story I just mentioned. It's just like when you were younger, you never wanted to tell your teacher if you got in a fight with someone because of what your classmates would say to you (sorry to steal your example, AnnaLu)

Look at the story I just mentioned. It's just like when you were younger, you never wanted to tell your teacher if you got in a fight with someone because of what your classmates would say to you (sorry to steal your example, AnnaLu)

Hah, you're welcome to it :LOL:

Yeh I know but some people don't know that but moreover, I think people question themselves over whether they're being silly being offended when you see who's being the knob, and how well they seem to be respected. Also, I dunno, it's a bit like you would never go to a teacher because of a fight with a classmate when you were little. Obviously this is wrong and needs to change, but I think it's why people don't report so much.

I understand what you mean but then it's a bit of a catch 22: it's like someone witnessing let's say a mugging, not calling the police and then expecting them to do something about it.

Am I making sense? :LOL:

Nope, Main Muse.

But this is not school?

Just report it. You are not going to get "bullied" if you do. as said. It's all anonymous. ANYONE could have reported a user / post.

To be honest, If you don't report stuff, how are the mods supposed to do anything?

I understand what you mean but then it's a bit of a catch 22: it's like someone witnessing let's say a mugging, not calling the police and then expecting them to do something about it.

Am I making sense? :LOL:

Totally (except the person doing the mugging is a really cool guy with beefy mates down your road), it's definitely not a healthy attitude. So I think it should be discouraged.

I told the teacher anyway. Fuck that.

Why should you be left to feel unwelcome and intimidated because you are worried what a few other Musers will say? Report them. They've no proof it was you anyway, so just go about your normal business and forget about it.

No, they could ruin their... :eek: reputation!

Super Musers!

Yeah, we definitely understand that you want somewhere to chat while discussing gigs. It's tricky because some people don't want to wade through pages of off topic in a gig thread too. So ideally if everyone there used Banter (just keep it open in a new thread). If the people already their don't like the influx of "new" people, so what? Press on and get chatting to each other, we're fine with it, and if anyone isn't report it so we can do something about it :)

Make one in each forum and use the one that doesn't get locked. :)

Ideally not, we'd prefer all off topic to go in the off topic forum and not segregate the board at all.

But this is not school?

Just report it. You are not going to get "bullied" if you do. as said. It's all anonymous. ANYONE could have reported a user / post.

To be honest, If you don't report stuff, how are the mods supposed to do anything?

Even if anyone could have done it, people still make assumptions. I'm only trying to offer explanation as to why things aren't always reported

But this is not school?

Yeah exactly. It's a messageboad. It is just text on a screen. No one is gonna wait for you by the gate on the way home. Report it have a little trust that we're gonna make a reasonable judgement that only we, the mods, can be accountable for. :)

Even if anyone could have done it, people still make assumptions. I'm only trying to offer explanation as to why things aren't always reported

How do you expect any change or the mods to do anything If members are not willing to report things because they are scared of what might happen?

Yeah people do, but so what, let them be bitter, if anything comes of it they'll end up getting infracted too. We're not just gonna be fine with people getting attacked because they played by the board rules.

Archived