Changes AKA How the new staff team are going to spoil your fun

kev

This!

The perception is like this:

Banter - "All Main Musers are nutters"

Main Muse - "All Banterers are nutters"

There's some common ground there. Can't we all get along and agree we're all nutters?

:LOL: that's a great comment.

In fact, I logged in purely to express appreciation, and I'm not even being sarcastic.

The erosion of any barrier or animosity between any two parts of the board is most definitely our number one priority. We want people who regularly post in the Muse parts of the messageboard to feel welcome posting in the off topic parts and possibly we want people who only post in off topic sections to feel that the Muse parts can still provide some interesting discussions.

It may be that this is already the case, of course...

Ok, here is my input. I was a regular here for a while. But to be quite honest, after the Australia leg of TR, I didn't come back for a long time. It's common knowledge that Muse had a "typical" set list, and then varied it up in Australia. But what made me stop coming here was when a few people who mainly post in Banter (*I am not generalizing, it's just a fact*) came over to Main, and especially to a particular gig's thread, and completely bashed the band, bashed anyone who liked the band, and spewed some of the most disturbing vitiriol I had ever seen. Now, I realize that emotions were running high, but it disgusted me.

Now, I'm not saying that everyone has to throw roses at Muse and declare that they have scentless feces, but I do feel that there needs to be a certain amount of respect given to them ON THEIR OWN FORUM. A logical and reasonable discussion about their music and the direction of the next album, tour, etc. should be highly encouraged. But even those people who have been referenced in the previous comments about loving OoS but not liking anything since, can have some common courtesy for the band and the fans that still like the band.

Ok, vent over. Carry On!

Please stay on topic. :p

Yes ma'am, Furygirl :stongue:

I think change is good! Personally I would like to see a thread of the day kind of thing where everyone can go and discuss the chosen topic. I suggested this to Kev and he shot my idea down boo :(

Ooh, that's a good idea!

Ok, here is my input. I was a regular here for a while. But to be quite honest, after the Australia leg of TR, I didn't come back for a long time. It's common knowledge that Muse had a "typical" set list, and then varied it up in Australia. But what made me stop coming here was when a few people who mainly post in Banter (*I am not generalizing, it's just a fact*) came over to Main, and especially to a particular gig's thread, and completely bashed the band, bashed anyone who liked the band, and spewed some of the most disturbing vitiriol I had ever seen. Now, I realize that emotions were running high, but it disgusted me.

Now, I'm not saying that everyone has to throw roses at Muse and declare that they have scentless feces, but I do feel that there needs to be a certain amount of respect given to them ON THEIR OWN FORUM. A logical and reasonable discussion about their music and the direction of the next album, tour, etc. should be highly encouraged. But even those people who have been referenced in the previous comments about loving OoS but not liking anything since, can have some common courtesy for the band and the fans that still like the band.

Ok, vent over. Carry On!

Thanks for your feedback, it's really good for us to understand why people decide to leave the board.

One question I wanted to ask: you mentioned some people bashing other members, did you report any of those posts at the time? Because unless things like that gets reported it is difficult for mods to intervene.

Thanks for your feedback, it's really good for us to understand why people decide to leave the board.

One question I wanted to ask: you mentioned some people bashing other members, did you report any of those posts at the time? Because unless things like that gets reported it is difficult for mods to intervene.

No, I didn't. I just left. There were a lot of members on those particular gig threads following the gigs as they were happening, around 200 or so if I'm remembering correctly. I am pretty sure that the threads were being moderated to some extent, and that some of the people on the receiving end of it probably reported it. I was not personally targeted, but others were.

See, I think the thing with banter is that it's like a giant clique (or at least appears that way), and if you try to join, chances are, you'll be ignored or brushed off like a mosquito. Whereas with Main Muse, all you have to do is either show extreme fangirlism or bash someone who says they like Guiding Light, and you're in.

At least that's how I see it.

I did see some of the negative opinions had got too far during TR tour, but I also remember, probably a bit earlier than the period when those negative posts took over the place, some posters who wouldn't accept any critical opinions but only those which praise the band in every aspect. I sincerely hope the change won't go that way, either. To be honest, I shudder at the thought.

BTW, I didn't report those posts. Just started to ignore particular posters. It was easy.

If you witness any members, you feel are being "attacked"/"victimised" or you feel this happening to yourself, please report the post(s) to the mods. People get offended to various degrees so unless you make us aware that you are uncomfortable with the situation it is difficult to intervene. If you don't report it then it is likely we'll think that you have no issues with the situation and nothing will happen.

Basically if you want us to do something then let us know :)

It's a good thing that we're all talking about this now in a constructive way. It'll help us all understand each other better and hopefully people will feel less like they have to stay in their safe little corner and can enjoy the board as a whole.

Yeah it is good. I used to be scared of banter. I liked to go in there but I got ignored a lot. I think the key thing is to be persistent and just randomly reply to everyone haha. Someone will eventually talk to you :LOL:

See, I think the thing with banter is that it's like a giant clique (or at least appears that way), and if you try to join, chances are, you'll be ignored or brushed off like a mosquito. Whereas with Main Muse, all you have to do is either show extreme fangirlism or bash someone who says they like Guiding Light, and you're in.

At least that's how I see it.

Banter has such a bad rep. Seriously, post in there and be persistant...loads of lovely boardies post in that section. Eventually someone will reply. :yesey:

Oh, and as Donna said. I used to be scared of Banter too hah but I just got involved and eventually things fell into place.

If you witness any members, you feel are being "attacked"/"victimised" or you feel this happening to yourself, please report the post(s) to the mods. People get offended to various degrees so unless you make us aware that you are uncomfortable with the situation it is difficult to intervene. If you don't report it then it is likely we'll think that you have no issues with the situation and nothing will happen.

Do those who receive reports will be informed of by whom / which post / in thread they were reported? I think I have read that a mod saying who reported who will be kept in secret.

Fair enough.

I have a few other thoughts, but I will wait until the survey Niall mentioned in comment #37 becomes available. It's not that I don't want to share publicly, only that it might ruffle some feathers and get heated. I don't think this is the time or place.

Thanks again new mods for asking for our input. :)

Yeah, can't stress this enough. If you ever feel like someone is acting in anyway unfairly towards you we're there to sort it out.

Survey is pretty much ready, just needs to be okayed by the rest of the staff and we'll get it out there.

Ohh I see, yes that makes perfect sense! :) But come have a chat sometime! We've chatted a little, and you know Alix and I'm sure a few others who frequently post in Banter. And if it's just casual chat (I mean, chat other than something rather personal going on) just butt in and reply, that's how I started. And I guess people shouldn't feel offended when there is no reply, half of the time I post I get no reply and I don't really expect it either, just me venting :LOL:

Yeah, Ly, you know me!

Just stick your oar in and have a bit of craic. If you aren't interested in the topic that's being discussed, talk about something else. I usually say "Hello muse fans" and I go from there lol.

I do think there is a misconception that to post in Banter, you have to be a "hipster" and not like Muse.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a number of people from Banter travel to Russia and the Ukraine to see Muse? That sounds like a dedicated fan base, not a group that hates the band.

I've been to America, Germany and France to see Muse. :awesome:

All of which were during TR tour. Awh yeah.

Do those who receive reports will be informed of by whom / which post / in thread they were reported? I think I have read that a mod saying who reported who will be kept in secret.

All reports stay confidential, we don't mention the name of who sent the report.

Fair enough.

I have a few other thoughts, but I will wait until the survey Niall mentioned in comment #37 becomes available. It's not that I don't want to share publicly, only that it might ruffle some feathers and get heated. I don't think this is the time or place.

Thanks again new mods for asking for our input. :)

No worries, thanks for the feedback. If you can't find the place on the survey to mention some of the other feedback you have just feel free to PM one of the mods with your comments.

Only the Mods find out who has reported who so don't feel afraid to do so people :).

I think part of our plans will involve writing up some new general guidelines for the board which willa address a few misconceptions surrounding the report system and the likes.

Basically, we can't keep our eyes on every single post every second of the day so we rely on you guys to keep us informed of beef that may pass under our radar. The report button is there for that and we'll act on it as soon as poss :).

This!

The perception is like this:

Banter - "All Main Musers are nutters"

Main Muse - "All Banterers are nutters"

There's some common ground there. Can't we all get along and agree we're all nutters?

To me the perception has been this:

Banter - The cool kids club (perceived as elitist by MM)

Main Muse - n00bs (perceived as "Muse can do no wrong" asskissers by Non-Muse)

Also, I think a huge turning point on the forum that caused a lot of people to leave was during the fateful "Should Muse Break Up?" thread/poll debacle. I hesitate to even bring it up, but that was a line in the sand for a lot of people, of that I am sure. The perception was that it was all in good fun (the switching of the poll results), or just a joke or whatever, but I can assure you that it was not perceived that way by most Main Musers.

To me the perception has been this:

Banter - The cool kids club (perceived as elitist by MM)

Main Muse - n00bs (perceived as "Muse can do no wrong" asskissers by Non-Muse)

Also, I think a huge turning point on the forum that caused a lot of people to leave was during the fateful "Should Muse Break Up?" thread/poll debacle. I hesitate to even bring it up, but that was a line in the sand for a lot of people, of that I am sure. The perception was that it was all in good fun (the switching of the poll results), or just a joke or whatever, but I can assure you that it was not perceived that way by most Main Musers.

that's because most of them are fangirly people who can't take a joke. and i'm a MMuser. :LOL:

Archived