Guitar Hero shut down. Is rock really dying? Can Muse save rock?

JadeLovesMuse

Guitar Hero shut down. Is rock really dying? Can Muse save rock?

With Guitar Hero shutting down production and announcing the layoffs of 500 employees at its Santa Monica offices, it begs the question, is rock really a dying art form?

Muse’s guitar virtuoso lead singer, Matt Bellamy was truly proud of his Guitar Hero avatar. The band filled Staples Center in Los Angeles for two nights before continuing on to fill The Pond in Anaheim.

Under the banner of rock U2 drew record crowds on their 2010 360 Tour. Bruce Springsteen is considered to be a living legend. Van Halen still fills large staduims. Coachella draws tens of thousands of rock fans out to the desert each year, where rumor has it, Muse stole the show.

The Beatles catalog was released on iTunes and has sold incredibly well, most likely bolstered by The Beatles: Rock Band. According to Billboard Magazine, Aerosmith’s catalog saw a 40% leap in sales when Guitar Hero: Aerosmith was released this year.

However, even years ago in 1980s, the Beastie Boys languished on the sidelines when they formed a punk/metal band. When they started rapping, they scored major hits.

Rapper B.o.B. plays guitar and keyboards, and sings bridges and choruses himself, but seems to score hit due to those rap sections. Or is he actually just organically incorporating live rock into hip hop rather than sampling as in "Don't Let Me Fall"? Having reviewed him live at the Pac Sun Beach Ballyhoo, it was surprizing just how much singing and guitar work he did with his full live band.

The indie rock band, Menomena incorporates hip hop rhythms via their amazingly talented drummer, Danny Seim, though they do not rap. Meanwhile indie alt rockers The XX lay down hefty beats to undergird delicately sparse guitars and keyboards.

Muse’s song, “Undisclosed Desires” incorporated some hip-hop elements and soulful singing. Is it possible that the definition of rock has broadened to include whatever beat patterns one would like.

Hip hop artists have sampled great guitar riffs on a regular basis going way back to the 1980s. The Black Eyed Peas scored one of their biggest hits by sampling the guitar riff from Miserlou for “Pump It” and often incorporate singing. The dubious art form of rap rock and rap metal sprang from Aerosmith performing “Walk This Way” with Run DMC.

Rap and hip hop have rarely been pure music forms. Music forms have forever shifted and changed with time. As the music industry changes, more and more bands shift to independent and DIY production. But major labels still own most of the airwaves and push hip hop, r & b, pop, and dance. They deal in hits.

Yet what happens on independent labels has changed the rules of the game in unpredictable ways in prior decades. The game isn't over yet, rock isn't out of the game.

Rock certainly looks to be quite alive in Muse's video for their Grammy nominated rock song, The Resistance. The crowd at the Glastonbury 2010 sang along so loudly to both the riff and chorus that Muse appear to be the saviors for the genre with "Plug In Baby." It's unbelieveable it took years for them to be signed by a major label.

There's another unanswered question. What's to become of Bellamy's Guitar Hero avatar?

http://www.examiner.com/rock-music-in-los-angeles/guitar-hero-shut-down-is-rock-really-dying

Rock Band is also cancelled apparently.

True Crime aswell.

Where was that announced? Guitar hero being canceled was big news, but I heard nothing of Rock Band. Harmonix is doing way too well to randomly cancel. I figured Guitar Hero canceled because of Rock Band overshadowing it.

*Drools over Muse: Rock Band* JrMan.

Not only is the "Is rock dying?" total nonsense, but what the hell does hip-hop have to do with it?

"Muse’s song, “Undisclosed Desires” incorporated some hip-hop elements and soulful singing. Is it possible that the definition of rock has broadened to include whatever beat patterns one would like.

Hip hop artists have sampled great guitar riffs on a regular basis going way back to the 1980s. The Black Eyed Peas scored one of their biggest hits by sampling the guitar riff from Miserlou for “Pump It” and often incorporate singing. The dubious art form of rap rock and rap metal sprang from Aerosmith performing “Walk This Way” with Run DMC.

Rap and hip hop have rarely been pure music forms. Music forms have forever shifted and changed with time. As the music industry changes, more and more bands shift to independent and DIY production. But major labels still own most of the airwaves and push hip hop, r & b, pop, and dance. They deal in hits.

Yet what happens on independent labels has changed the rules of the game in unpredictable ways in prior decades. The game isn't over yet, rock isn't out of the game."

So much random nonsense, I can't handle it.

not read any of this thread, just the title.

my reply, to can muse save rock [not sure what that has to do with gh]. rock doesn't need saving, rock his it's mainstream periods, which is when rock turns into shit, rock isn't that mainstream now, indie is the closest thing to rock, currently mainstream.

Its just Activision laying off people so it can make more CALL OF DUDY (caps lock intentional) studios/games, Guitar Hero hasn't done well recently (thanks to many spin-offs that could replace the Wall of China) and Bobby luves his moneh so I'm not surprised this happend. The writer obviously didn't catch that.

Where was that announced? Guitar hero being canceled was big news, but I heard nothing of Rock Band. Harmonix is doing way too well to randomly cancel. I figured Guitar Hero canceled because of Rock Band overshadowing it.

*Drools over Muse: Rock Band* JrMan.

I read it on IGN, but now they've changed it to "re-assessing" and the teams behind games like Rock Band and DJ Hero have been hit by many layoffs.

Load of crap there are rock bands that change the world all the time just as much know as the i promise that 20 years form now people will be complaing how crap modern music is crap and how could bands like Muse are and how they wish they could have been born then.

Another example that rock is not dying Rage against the machine got christmas number 1in 2009, although not my favourite band it just shows that rock will never die.

I read it on IGN, but now they've changed it to "re-assessing" and the teams behind games like Rock Band and DJ Hero have been hit by many layoffs.

Although its true they were hit with layoffs, Rock Band is not owned by Activision, so this announcement has nothing do to with Rock Band's future, unfortunably it doesn't look very bright either.

Although its true they were hit with layoffs, Rock Band is not owned by Activision, so this announcement has nothing do to with Rock Band's future, unfortunably it doesn't look very bright either.

May not look a bright future atm but hopefully with the end of Guitar Hero and the current state of Harmonix, it'll lead to even more innovation with Rock Band. Least it might give the music game genre a cooling off period that Rock Band can use to it's advantage.

Rock Band and Guitar Hero both have roots with a company called Harmonix, but Activision is Guitar Hero.

Did someone post my article on the fucking Radiohead forum? All these Radiohad fans came by and posted stupid shit in the comments. I don't care what Metacritic says about Radiohead being up there with the Beatles, I love Muse.

The whole point of mentioning all that hip hop stuff was to say that hip hop uses rock to score hits, and rock sometimes incorporates hip hop elements, so rock isn't really dead. Indie rock is still rock. Muse was indie rock when they started.

I wish I had been there at Glastonbury--that was a fucking pwoper crowd singing along with the riff and the chorus.

Stepping off soapbox...

Archived