The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

since,as pluk pointed out, there's many of threads like these. i'm going to make this the definitive one and merge future ones.

i'm gonna change the title slightly but don't worry indigo_river its not going to be "click here to see me go down on a goat" it'll just be a minor adjustment ;)

now you mention it.. that piece of "fretboard".. dunno what that is

From what I've read and heard and guessed, I think that peice of "fretboard" is actually his disotortion pedal taken apart and the circuit for it taped to his guitar, much like his inbuilt distortion on his mansons, except that was how he managed it on a budget before he got the mansons.

• 1 month later...

I read somewhere that Tom Morrello puts all his effects (although thats not many) through his amplifier effects loop. What advantage (if any) does this have ?

I put my effects in series between my guitar and amp, which is

guitar-->wah-->FF-->delay-->flanger-->EQ-->amp

...but thats probably wrong anyway !

eh, i'm conventional, maybe if i had seperate delay as opposed to multi effects i would put it somewhere else, but i don't

I don't like sticking to convention, I like to be different and original, even if no one likes it, at least I'm not following the crowd or doing what I am told to do.

Obviously if convention is the best way to do something i.e. wah into distortion (sounds good the other way round, but the volume changes are too extreme), then I'll go along with it, but for everything else experiment and don't go with something just because somebody said its the best way to do something

I don't like sticking to convention, I like to be different and original, even if no one likes it, at least I'm not following the crowd or doing what I am told to do.

Obviously if convention is the best way to do something i.e. wah into distortion (sounds good the other way round, but the volume changes are too extreme), then I'll go along with it, but for everything else experiment and don't go with something just because somebody said its the best way to do something

yeah, i would try to do that if i had seperate effects as oppossed to multi effects. Theres this amp at school with built in effects (Fender Deluxe 90) and if you set it to delay and then fiddle with the depth/rate knob it squeals and changes the pitch.

Oh, and the FX loop is to make your tone better, because pedals fuck about with it. If they're all in the loop, you have a direct signal from guitar > amp, thus making the tone better.

but there are some things you wouldn't put in the effects loop, eg. whammy and wah, because that's just incredibly stupid. Also, because its true bypass, there's no point putting a FF or FP in effects loop.

Just put modulation effects into the effects loop and leave everything else outside...if you really wanted to, i suppose you could put delay between the amp output and the cab...

I have my whammy first in the chain, as since its got a shit bypass i want it to have as much good guitar signal as possible. My amp is old so i guess its effect loop is just shit because of that, its just that when i put anything through it, it sounds so weak.

I dont think there is a rule on what chain you have your effects in. I mean, to put it simply, it depends on the users preference. Put a delay in front of distortion if you want the delay distorted, put the distortion in front of the delay if you want the disotortion delayed. Simple as.

Pie

Hi. I am wondering if you can tell me how to use an effects loop on a marshall amp. Do you have the line out from your pedals going into the loop and then an additional lead going into the amp?

Please help!

dude.... plug you guitar into the amp as usual... the take a lead out of the effects loop ( effects loop send or out ) into your effects. after that... take a lead from your effects ( output from effects ) back into your amp ( effects return or in )..

should work no prob...... not sure what amp you have so you may have a switch to select the effects loop... but the are usually on more expencive amps...

lets rock.. :D

Uhm, you have to have them the right way round, the send goes to the first effect in the chain, and the last lead goes to the return.

Don't put whammy or wah or true bypass effects in the loop, since the whammy and wah won't work properly in the effects loop and true bypasses dont effect the tone, which is what the effects loop is trying to stop, non true bypass pedals killing the tone.

I need help, i don't even know if it matters but do i need to arrange my bass effects in a certain order? i have a OD pedal and a multi effects pedal. is it bass --> multi --> OD --> Amp, or bass --> OD --> multi --> amp? :confused::confused::confused:

I need help, i don't even know if it matters but do i need to arrange my bass effects in a certain order? i have a OD pedal and a multi effects pedal. is it bass --> multi --> OD --> Amp, or bass --> OD --> multi --> amp? :confused::confused::confused:

I`d say OD first normally, what effects do you normally use on the multi?

Archived