The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I reckon it's just a bit of fretboard of an older guitar he smashed up. Perhaps

Isn't it the copper plate from his wah probe ?

Anyway, back to the question in hand, after much messing around with my FX chain it seems my preferred order was:

guitar >whammy > wah > FF > phaser > delay > EQ > amp

The problem with this is that I can't get the FF to feedback properly - now it just rumbles instead of squealing. Is this something to do with the whammy and wah not being true bypass units ? Should I put the FF first in the chain ? :unsure:

I need help setting up my pedals, and the order in which I should place them. (I realise there are other threads about this, but I'd like to have replies to my question alone!! Call me a selfish bastard, but hey!)

I was fine until I got a Fuzz Factory yesterday. Before that I just had a Whammy Pedal and a ZOOM GFX404 multieffects pedal (this is not to become a Zoom bitching thread!). As I and you all know, the Whammy 'likes' coming first. All very well.

Now... when I use the the Fuzz Factory on its own, it's fine, and does what I want it to. ie. mimics Muse (my setting is 2:30 ; 3:15 ; 5:00 ; 5:00), which is like the Plug In Baby Live intro stuff if you play with the stab and the volume.

However, as soon as I put this in the effects loop, it no longer wishes to work like that. So what I'm asking is what order should I put them in, or do I need to adjust the settings on the Fuzz Factory to compensate?

Cheers for any help you can proffer,

Alex

PS: thanks for this help Palo Alto - youre always there when we need you!)

More than welcome ;)

Is there only one socket for the effects loop? If there's two their for send and receive in which you would have to put a lead in the send socket, fit it to the beginning of your chain, then the lead coming out of the chain goes in the receive. However I heard the whammy isnt suited for the chain, and is best to go directly through your guitar and into line in socket.

Have you tried taking the Zoom out of the chain, and seeing what happens if its just the whammy and the fuzz?

Yeh, I just checked, theres a send and return

so are you saying to try :

SEND> FF > RETURN?

Yeh without the ZOOM it does work better, but then I would lose my other effects from it, which i use a lot.

PS: I know everyone says ZOOM is crap, and it is compared to individual pedals, but im getting there, by starting with the two expensive ones first!

Isn't it the copper plate from his wah probe ?

Anyway, back to the question in hand, after much messing around with my FX chain it seems my preferred order was:

guitar >whammy > wah > FF > phaser > delay > EQ > amp

The problem with this is that I can't get the FF to feedback properly - now it just rumbles instead of squealing. Is this something to do with the whammy and wah not being true bypass units ? Should I put the FF first in the chain ? :unsure:

The FF (as well as nearly every fuzz pedal) only works properly when it 'sees' a high-impedence on the input. Your pickups are high impedence and buffered effects are low impedence (ie the wah). Fuzzes should always be first in the chain in you want them to behave 'correctly':).

Yeh I got it sorted thanks!

Although it wasn't by using the Effects Loop (which I'll get on to)

I now have :

Amp > ZOOM > Whammy > Fuzz > Guitar

As for the effects loops, we've apparently got a very good amp (Marshall 20W valve amp) - but if you put something in the effects loops, its effect is minimal, you can barely hear whatever has been patched through!

Yeh I got it sorted thanks!

Although it wasn't by using the Effects Loop (which I'll get on to)

I now have :

Amp > ZOOM > Whammy > Fuzz > Guitar

As for the effects loops, we've apparently got a very good amp (Marshall 20W valve amp) - but if you put something in the effects loops, its effect is minimal, you can barely hear whatever has been patched through!

Which amp is it?

• 1 month later...

Hello. I am not sure on where to put my new Electro Harmonix Small Stone.

My order is:-

Telecaster/SG/Strat-Digitech Whammy 4-DS1-ProCo Rat- Wah-Chorus-Trem-Delay

Where would the Stone fit? The rest of my unconventional set up is fine.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I've just got all my pedals that i want and want anyones advice on which is the best order to have em in. Heres what i have at the moment

Gibson Les Paul ---->Digitech whammy--->Line 6 Distortion Moduler -----> Line 6 Delay ----- Crybaby ---> Volume Pedal ------> Amp

is this right? Or are there some people crying with laughter at how crap i've done it??

Also, i find myself using the Delay and Whammy together a lot. Is there anyway i can use a pedal switch/selecter/divertor to just be able to push one pedal to turn them both on and off at the same time and leave myself with just the distortion? :confused:

I've just got all my pedals that i want and want anyones advice on which is the best order to have em in. Heres what i have at the moment

Gibson Les Paul ---->Digitech whammy--->Line 6 Distortion Moduler -----> Line 6 Delay ----- Crybaby ---> Volume Pedal ------> Amp

is this right? Or are there some people crying with laughter at how crap i've done it??

Also, i find myself using the Delay and Whammy together a lot. Is there anyway i can use a pedal switch/selecter/divertor to just be able to push one pedal to turn them both on and off at the same time and leave myself with just the distortion? :confused:

It would be more normal to put the delay after the wah and in the FX loop if you have one, other than that it is fine although some people have the whammy after distortion - it depends how you like it:).

As for turning the whammy and delay on/off at the same time, you could get a looper (not a sampler type looper) and put them in that (although they might need to be next to each other in the chain). Go to

Monkey FX for some examples of switchers and loopers :cool: .

Hey people. I have my rig kinda sorted, just pondering now. I have 3 different types of disortion/overdrive/fuzz (BOSS SD-1, Marshall Jackhammer and a Big Muff). I was just wondering if there's a certain order that those 3 should be in.

At the mo I have

Guitar > Whammy > Wah > Muff > Jackhammer > SD-1 > Chorus > Amp

Sounds good to me, but it's only going through a crappy practise amp, so I'm wondering when I get my new big shiny amp if it's gonna sound really dodgy.

I reliese I've kidna rambled abit, It's late, I'm tired. I apologise

• 1 month later...

Archived