They do sing, but I don't think they play instruments. I don't think Rybak played either.

I'm pretty sure he did, because he knows how to play it, and you can hear it at times when he's nearing the microphone. He sort of moved away from it when he wasn't singing, though. But enough about that.

feeling.free: I suppose they could withdraw, but it doesn't seem they really want to... not yet. It's the last of UK imperialism, «owning» Eurovision. :p

Jetro, why did you resurrect this nonsense?

Because it's not nonsense. It's a serious proposition. I think Muse would be crazy and unpredictable enough to pull it off, if they wanted to.

• 2 weeks later...

The term "Eurovision Week" is used to refer to the week during which the Contest takes place.[39] As it is a live show, the Eurovision Song Contest requires the performers to have perfected their acts in rehearsals in order for the big night to run smoothly. In addition to rehearsals in their home countries, every participant is given the opportunity to rehearse on the stage in the Eurovision auditorium. These rehearsals are held during the course of several days before the Saturday show, and consequently the delegations arrive in the host city many days before the event. This means, in turn, journalists and fans are also present during the preceding days, and the events of Eurovision last a lot longer than a few hours of television.[citation needed] A number of officially accredited hotels are selected for the delegations to stay in, and shuttle-bus services are used to transport the performers and accompanying people to and from the Contest venue.

• 1 month later...

Another Eurovision finished. :)

Just before I forget, this song could be by Muse (except they sing in Italian):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmMmky9R0Ws

It sounds like something they could have done, in my opinion – in their Showbiz days.

Also, no matter how much you loathe the competition because it's all about politics and stuff, it's still the best oppurtunity to get a message across to Europe. I really wish Muse would participate at some time. It's not "selling out". :rolleyes: (If that is, then everything is.)

Why? That's a statement with little depth. Anyone can participate (also 'serious artists'), it's a great arena for any statement, for three minutes you will be known to 300 000 000 people.

jackparker: They could compete for UK, with a 'real' song and win. That surely would have given it a boost according to you stubborn skeptics? :p

Why? That's a statement with little depth. Anyone can participate (also 'serious artists'), it's a great arena for any statement, for three minutes you will be known to 300 000 000 people.

That anyone CAN participate doesn't make it any less ridiculous. There is a reason to why serious artists rarely sign up for the competition.

And what message or statement of importance could Muse deliver anyway? That we have to stand up against the government?

That anyone CAN participate doesn't make it any less ridiculous. There is a reason to why serious artists rarely sign up for the competition.

Which is beginning to change: In Norway more and more already-known bands participates every year. There has been a lot of media attention on the fact that it is starting to get more 'serious'.

Sweden always (mostly) sends established artists or other professionals.

But mostly I don't get WHY it's ridiculous. It's a competition of songs/shows representing the countries of Europe, and the most popular programme in Europe. In any case, there is nothing that stops anyone from doing it, and isn't that what most artists want: publicity?

And what message or statement of importance could Muse deliver anyway? That we have to stand up against the government?

Yeah. If they want to. I honestly don't know what they would do, to me the music comes first anyway, but every piece of music has a message (whether it's cliched or not). And

they would become known to the little dark places of Eastern Europe. :)

What I really want to figure out is what, if anything, would make you, the people here, think Eurosong is so pointless.

It's so popular to hate it, but I don't get it. All right, the focus is on shows, but it's about delivering the package altogether. Nice, good songs without much of a show have won before. Okay, so the music is rubbish, but most things that are (over)played on the radio is anyway, according to some...

Jetro, have you forgotten one thing? If you look at all the rock bands that have played on this contest, every instrument is backing track, the only live thing is the vocals. Muse dont like backtracking/not playing live.

Another reason Muse doesn't even belong on the show.

Which is beginning to change: In Norway more and more already-known bands participates every year. There has been a lot of media attention on the fact that it is starting to get more 'serious'.

Sweden always (mostly) sends established artists or other professionals.

But mostly I don't get WHY it's ridiculous. It's a competition of songs/shows representing the countries of Europe, and the most popular programme in Europe. In any case, there is nothing that stops anyone from doing it, and isn't that what most artists want: publicity?

It is ridiculous because of the people competing every year, not because of the competition itself. So yes, it is certainly possible that it could change, and it has to start somewhere, But really, I don't see the point. Eurovision gets lots of media coverage in Sweden, and to a lot of people it seems to be the most important event of the year. The people we send to Eurovision is certainly among the more serious and professional in the competition. But still, no artist outside of the pop-scene would be "allowed" to enter by their fans.

Yeah. If they want to. I honestly don't know what they would do, to me the music comes first anyway, but every piece of music has a message (whether it's cliched or not). And

they would become known to the little dark places of Eastern Europe. :)

What I really want to figure out is what, if anything, would make you, the people here, think Eurosong is so pointless.

It's so popular to hate it, but I don't get it. All right, the focus is on shows, but it's about delivering the package altogether. Nice, good songs without much of a show have won before. Okay, so the music is rubbish, but most things that are (over)played on the radio is anyway, according to some...

That's the thing. Getting well know for being on a show that is frowned upon by so many people, just for the sake of becoming well known seems wrong. Just like I wouldn't want to see Muse do commercials for coffee. I don't hate Eurovision, I quite enjoy it, but it certainly isn't a competition for any artist who would like to keep any kind of respect from their fans. Narrow minded? Maybe!

I'm in agreement with Sippe here. Eurovision is about silly pop music and is a bit of a laugh, but I wouldn't expect to see any bands or groups that want to be respected as artists on there.

Personally, I would be pretty disappointed if Muse saw themselves as Eurovision material.

Jetro, have you forgotten one thing? If you look at all the rock bands that have played on this contest, every instrument is backing track, the only live thing is the vocals. Muse dont like backtracking/not playing live.

I know, I know, and that's probably the thing I dislike most about the Eurovision. I think at least bands were allowed to play live, but they aren't: it's the rules, something about it taking too long a time to rig the instruments etc. :mad: (since 1998)

Another reason Muse doesn't even belong on the show.

You're right. In my dream scenario, they would be so popular they would be able to demand to play with their real instruments. :p But how fun would it be watching them make fun of it! :LOL:

At the same time I imagine Muse (Matt & Dom) would be crazy and "daring" enough to considering actually joining. ("We're mad UK scores so bad every year, so we wrote a shitty song about war and love and Europe and all that stuff, with lots of glitter and pyro effects. I reckon' it's a good one.")

Sippe: No, at least I quite enjoyed it. :) I see your points, and I'm glad you don't loathe the contest altogether.

Dockertae: I think that is a typical 'Western' view, Turkey, for instance, often sends 'established' artists/bands. I don't know how established they are, but they usually are in their region.

Dockertae: I think that is a typical 'Western' view, Turkey, for instance, often sends 'established' artists/bands. I don't know how established they are, but they usually are in their region.

They even had what looked like their president do the vote announcement!

Archived