Which rock band was it that 'threatened' to be the UK entry for Eurovision (probably as a joke entry) years ago? I can't remember. But I DO think one really indie or even metal-type band should do it! It would obviously be a piss take and quite lolsome next to all the ABBA wannabes (that's no compliment! :p)

If Muse had done it as a piss take I would have enjoyed it, but that would have only worked in the pre-Absolution era cos they were actually seen to be a heavier, alternative band. Now, their music has too many 'soft' songs, so it wouldn't really be construed as a piss take - unless they played Micro Cuts or something :chuckle:.

Eurovision is another thing about Europe I'll never understand. And where the heck is Azerbaijan, anyways? lol.

• 2 months later...

It has been too long since the UK has put through a real music act into the Eurovision Song Contest. It once had the biggest names in the business being put forward and battling it out across the continent.

Names like Abba, Cliff Richard, Lulu.

You may laugh, but these were internationally reknowned music artists who sold tens of millions of copies.

I believe it is about time the UK once again took this competition by the scruff of it's balls and squeezed as hard as it could, showing the world what real live music is all about.

MUSE, would blow away the competition. And MUSE, would be the first act to use the Orchastra which according to Wikipedia.... has not been used since it became optional in 1999. Orchastra is MUSE's backyard, combined with electro-guitar, drum beat and melodic bass and keyboard, heck even backing singers knowing these guys.... possibly the biggest and best performance in Eurovision history.

So, I am considering setting up an e-Petition on the UK Government's website formally asking for a debate in Parliament about whether the politicians should formally approach the band and plead they stand forward as the UK's next representative in the campest of all music festivals in the bid to "de-campify" it, and show that we are taking the competition back in to Western Europe forever. Our music is better.

Who would join me in signing that e-petition if I went ahead and created it?!?! :LOL:

EDIT: Oh and before you say no... it is another chance to see a live performance of Muse, albeit just one song, perhaps unique and made especially for the occasion!

It has been too long since the UK has put through a real music act into the Eurovision Song Contest. It once had the biggest names in the business being put forward and battling it out across the continent.

Names like Abba, Cliff Richard, Lulu.

You may laugh, but these were internationally reknowned music artists who sold tens of millions of copies.

I believe it is about time the UK once again took this competition by the scruff of it's balls and squeezed as hard as it could, showing the world what real live music is all about.

MUSE, would blow away the competition. And MUSE, would be the first act to use the Orchastra which according to Wikipedia.... has not been used since it became optional in 1999. Orchastra is MUSE's backyard, combined with electro-guitar, drum beat and melodic bass and keyboard, heck even backing singers knowing these guys.... possibly the biggest and best performance in Eurovision history.

So, I am considering setting up an e-Petition on the UK Government's website formally asking for a debate in Parliament about whether the politicians should formally approach the band and plead they stand forward as the UK's next representative in the campest of all music festivals in the bid to "de-campify" it, and show that we are taking the competition back in to Western Europe forever. Our music is better.

Who would join me in signing that e-petition if I went ahead and created it?!?! :LOL:

'Were' being the defining word. And ABBA weren't British.

As much as I love Eurovision, it's no place for a band that wants to be taken seriously, in Western Europe at least.

Incorrect, Eurovision had the biggest names in the music business and was responsible for creating some of the biggest music acts this planet has ever seen.

;)

It has only been since the Eastern Bloc was introduced that the quality of the music acts dive bombed, and I can guarantee if one single year the following happened:

UK - Muse

Germany - Rammstienn

France - Daft Punk

Italy - Area

Spain - Enrique Iglesias

Sweden - Adromada

It would suddenly see the Eatern Bloc reversing the disaster they turned this competition into and sending in their own heavy weights. If global news was to announce Muse would be approached, and it would be global news, then people in the rest of Western Europe would simularly demand the same because they see Eurovision as becoming a charade in the last two decades as well.

Incorrect, Eurovision had the biggest names in the music business and was responsible for creating some of the biggest music acts this planet has ever seen.

;)

It has only been since the Eastern Bloc was introduced that the quality of the music acts dive bombed, and I can guarantee if one single year the following happened:

UK - Muse

Germany - Rammstienn

France - Daft Punk

Italy - Area

Spain - Enrique Iglesias

Sweden - Adromada

It would suddenly see the Eatern Bloc reversing the disaster they turned this competition into and sending in their own heavy weights. If global news was to announce Muse would be approached, and it would be global news, then people in the rest of Western Europe would simularly demand the same because they see Eurovision as becoming a charade in the last two decades as well.

Adromada?

'Were' being the defining word. And ABBA weren't British.

Very true, but these people are no longer trying to be the world beaters. And true, Abba are not british... but they are probably the highest selling pop group of all time and influenced several genre's that still feature in Top 10 charts today. Dance, Trance, Pop-Rock, Progressive Rock. Electro Pop and suprisinly, even R'n'B. ;)

Is a competition that used to attract that sort of calibre a joke? Or simply going through a bad phase thanks to the Eastern Bloc.

If the west of europe was to start sending it's big hitters again, it would quickly regain it's place as the worlds highest respected music competition and make no mistake, in the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's it was by far the most highly respected music competition that Planet Earth had ever created.

It has been said many times, as soon as one global name was to announce they take part again... the others from other nations would follow. It just needs that first announcement to reset it all back to normality.

Very true, but these people are no longer trying to be the world beaters. And true, Abba are not british... but they are probably the highest selling pop group of all time and influenced several genre's that still feature in Top 10 charts today. Dance, Trance, Pop-Rock, Progressive Rock. Electro Pop and suprisinly, even R'n'B. ;)

Is a competition that used to attract that sort of calibre a joke? Or simply going through a bad phase thanks to the Eastern Bloc.

If the west of europe was to start sending it's big hitters again, it would quickly regain it's place as the worlds highest respected music competition and make no mistake, in the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's it was by far the most highly respected music competition that Planet Earth had ever created.

It has been said many times, as soon as one global name was to announce they take part again... the others from other nations would follow. It just needs that first announcement to reset it all back to normality.

Were, did, was, had, can you see the connection? Eurovision is a done chapter. And I don't think that anyone wants Muse to become an even bigger best-selling pop band.

As much as I love Eurovision, it's no place for a band that wants to be taken seriously, in Western Europe at least.

This.

I don't think anybody would take Muse seriously in Eurovision, according to my mum, who watched ESC when ABBA won, she said that nobody took them seriously, and they're still huge, right? So I think that Muse wouldn't get taken seriously in ESC competing against pop songs.

And for some, their music is or would be hard to understand and hard to like after a first listen (of course there are exceptions), and the first listen is always the important listen to many viewers of Eurovision.

Archived