Unintended (acoustic version)

Claudia O

I donβ€˜t want to spoil it ... who listened to it already?Β 
Β 

Β 

I prefer the original, sorry. This one sounds so sticked together, thereβ€˜s no flow .. piano is great! I like the lullaby-version a lot!Β 

Honestly I was never a big fan of Unintended to begin with. I like the instrumentation here, but Matt's soft voice is very hit and miss these days. The cover of We'll Meet Again that he uploaded works so, so well and I'm very excited for a full cover. This however? Probably won't really listen to it again, much like Tomorrow's World.

Β 

Β 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, o0oCroinao0o said:

Im not sure if its just me but it sounds like the vocals are a bit too loud or something, overall i like it, the piano instrumental is stunning. Could do without the annunciation of the 'Oohs' at the end but yeah, overall not bad!

I really didn't like how harshly he emphasised those ooos eitherΒ πŸ˜‚

• Like 2

I think he's saying he's putting more power into it than necessary.

Anyway I don't think it's weird that he's releasing it under his own name. We all know he's the main songwriter, and here we have a version with just the piano and vocals, both written by Matt. I doubt Dom or Chris have any issue with it.

10 minutes ago, Hat said:

I think he's saying he's putting more power into it than necessary.

I see, yeah, I misread that. I too prefer the more fragile effortless falsetto in the original, but those days are gone and that's fine.Β I don't think this version sounds too forced, only the "had before" bit sounds like he's pushing it a bit. Overall, I prefer these vocals to his sound in a lot of Muse's recent work.Β 

• Like 1

Hi everybody 😁

well the pianoΒ is beautiful, but when Matts starts singing, it sounds so sticked together, there seems to be no flow ... I can imagine he recorded the piano, then the singing pieces, and just glued them together. I know this is how itβ€˜s done in the studio, but is it usually a great production and you donβ€˜t recognize this? Like here, looks like Matt quickly mixed it himself.

I canβ€˜t stand the oohs andΒ uuh and aaaβ€˜s... πŸ€ͺ no thanks.

BUT I LOVE his version of β€žWeβ€˜ll meet againβ€œ I hope he releases it in ful! It took him half a yearΒ for Unintended so .... #soon ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, That Little Animal said:

Is it weird that he's releasing this der his own name, considering that it's a Muse song? I suppose it would be weird to release is as Muse as well...

Nah, not at all. It’s his song at the end of the day and this recording didn’t involve either of the other two so it’s not weird.

3 hours ago, That Little Animal said:

I see, yeah, I misread that. I too prefer the more fragile effortless falsetto in the original, but those days are gone and that's fine.Β I don't think this version sounds too forced, only the "had before" bit sounds like he's pushing it a bit. Overall, I prefer these vocals to his sound in a lot of Muse's recent work.Β 

I guess, even if being reminded of thagΒ still saddens me a bit. But, to me, when your voice changes, you’re best off adapting what you sing when you record to suit.Β Not that Matt hasn’t done that over the last 5 years or so but he’d have been better off leaving a song like this alone for me, or at least using a mixed voice instead of trying the falsetto. The mixing/editing really doesn’t help either though tbf. Ah well.

Interesting that he said on Twitter that it’s more relevant now than ever before.Β Or am I being stupid and does he mean for his new baby rather than, like, wider world stuff? (literally in middle of writing this sentence and realising it’s almost certainly that lmao, nvm)

14 minutes ago, Jobby said:

I guess, even if being reminded of thagΒ still saddens me a bit. But, to me, when your voice changes, you’re best off adapting what you sing when you record to suit.Β Not that Matt hasn’t done that over the last 5 years or so but he’d have been better off leaving a song like this alone for me, or at least using a mixed voice instead of trying the falsetto. The mixing/editing really doesn’t help either though tbf. Ah well.

I see this as a home recording, not really a single or official release, and in that contextΒ I find the voice and recording quality endearing. I don't see it as an attempt to change or improve the original song, but more like a social media post sharing what he's playing around with and what resonates with him emotionally at the moment.Β 

Edited by That Little Animal
  • Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 8:03 PM, Claudia O said:

I canβ€˜t stand the oohs andΒ uuh and aaaβ€˜s... πŸ€ͺ no thanks.

Oh no, I love these ooh, uuh and aah. It's a basic particularity of Matt Bellamy's voice. I call them oohdulations, eh-retonchants and ah-retonchants (invented words 😁) and they drive me crazy 😡πŸ€ͺ I can't imagine this live without oohs ( https://youtu.be/mo-1hqzMBHg ) and this one without eeh and aah ( https://youtu.be/gsVKqab0ju4 ) πŸ˜”