Q:The Drums have a pop at Muse and U2

saski86

Isn't just this just what every new band does? Muse could actually be kinda flattered by this, the new 'uns are now jealous by Muse's success rather than the old Oasis/Coldplay/insert big name here stuff that used to get thrown out.

Still, The Drums :LOL:

Nah, it can't be a compliment. Muse used to go about slagging off bands like Oasis and anything Britpop, now they are becoming the target for new bands.

Muse are now too big, 'irrelevant' and past it? :chuckle:

If that's the case then I guess I have to stop listening to Muse and start listening to cool new bands :chuckle:

Burn all your Muse albums and deny you ever loved them. Then in 10 years, admit you loved them all along when no one cares any more.

Worked for punk for starters - "Oh, I hate prog & disco... oh wait, punk is dead, I do love prog & disco, I have ever ELP album and dance to Donna Summer" :LOL:

Nah, it can't be a compliment. Muse used to go about slagging off bands like Oasis and anything Britpop, now they are becoming the target for new bands.

Muse are now too big, 'irrelevant' and past it? :chuckle:

Good point :chuckle:

Burn all your Muse albums and deny you ever loved them. Then in 10 years, admit you loved them all along when no one cares any more.

Worked for punk for starters - "Oh, I hate prog & disco... oh wait, punk is dead, I do love prog & disco, I have ever ELP album and dance to Donna Summer" :LOL:

Who is this Muse you are talking about? :p

And after 20 years it will be cool to listen to Muse again. Then people will be saying "Music is crap nowadays, I only listen to good old bands like Muse." That's how it always goes.

I just checked out some 30-second snippets of their songs and enjoyed the clips a bit more than I expected, given the band's pedigree as an annointed fave of the Pitchfork crowd.

According to Wiki, their major influences are: "The Smiths, Joy Division, The Wake, The Zombies, The Tough Alliance, The Legends, The Shangri-las, Orange Juice" -- most of which I don't know but from which I'd single out Joy Div & The Zombies as key, and to which I'd add mid-late career Pulp, big-time. IMHO, their songs have a good deal of energy and pep (and some nice basslines), but I'm not crazy about their melodies or their overreliance on reverb and vocals multi-tracking.

If it's true that Muse checked out three of their shows, I'm sure it was to gauge if the band was showing any signs of growth as a live act over that trajectory -- and as Muse apparently hasn't broached the subject of future gigs as a supporting act, I'd say The Drums have already been rejected (at least for now) and know it, hence the partial slagging...

Isn't just this just what every new band does? Muse could actually be kinda flattered by this, the new 'uns are now jealous by Muse's success rather than the old Oasis/Coldplay/insert big name here stuff that used to get thrown out.

Still, The Drums :LOL:

True, but not when they've taken the time to go to their gigs and be friendly to them, and to be fair Oasis are the most overated band in the history of music, great debut album then just same shit different title.:rolleyes:

True, but not when they've taken the time to go to their gigs and be friendly to them, and to be fair Oasis are the most overated band in the history of music, great debut album then just same shit different title.:rolleyes:

Jumping to conclusions there. :rolleyes:

And "same shit, different title" can be applied to Muse as well to be honest.

What?? Why am I jumping to conclusions, they said they went to their gigs. I don't get what the rolleyes are for.

2nd, 3rd & 4th shows, in a small club, Muse could have just liked the club or been there with other people who liked the club...

There's not much detail to go by to start making assumptions about why Muse were there.

Holy fuck, I just checked out some of their live clips on YT and boy are they mediocre. Somebody should tell the frontman that Ed Grimley was a satirical character (and not to be emulated), ffs...

In general, four-piece bands in which the frontman is just a singer who dances about like a prat without playing an instrument have no business slamming Muse on any grounds whatsoever. And especially not when that frontman wears jeans roll-ups and sports a bowl haircut!

2nd, 3rd & 4th shows, which aren't necessarily in large venues, could be pubs, could be Muse meeting industry people, or been invited by them...

There's not much detail to go by to start making assumptions about why Muse were there.

Either way they were still there by there own choice. I'm sure they wouldn't have gone there 3 times if they hadn't wanted to. Just plain fucking rude:mad:. And I don't agree that Muse's albums are anything the same, regardless whether you like them or not. The Drums are just another indie landfill band being bummed by NME as the cool band of the moment, if there still around in 10 years I will eat my Glasto hat:wtf:

Hmm' date=' yes, Origin of Symmetry and The Resistance really are very similar. :rolleyes:[/quote']

Random: I was thinking about things right when the resistance came out and realized that it's very similar in structure to BH&R. Especially for the first few songs, the ends of the albums are not as close, but there is still similar structure :shifty:

Open with a politically themed song

Continue with a love song

Third, put an electronic type song that sounds different from anything you've done before

Next put a song that's sort of bombastic in a Musey way

Follow that with a cheesy song (or two in the case of BH&R) that a lot of people will hate

Then there's time for a longish "rawk" song

Then a second rock song that's got a different style to it but is also kinda "musey"

MKU could also be sorta connected to CoD thematically....

Then a piano love song (although they obviously sound very different)

Then end with something big...

So, yeah, i'm thinking too much and it all breaks down toward the end... but :unsure:

Hmm' date=' yes, Origin of Symmetry and The Resistance really are very similar. :rolleyes:[/quote']

Could argue they are both 12 songs with no link at all musically and lyrically and essentially just repeating themselves continuously :)

Unnatural Selection is an OOS B-side, there's no reason why Exogenesis wouldn't fit on Absolution...

The Drums are fucking shit and they do sound like utter tosspots. I've read quite a lot of interviews with them and they're just coming off as a bunch of naive kids who have been spoilt when growing up. Why they've gotten so much attention is utterly beyond me. :stunned:

i never slag anyone off who's bought me a drink.

idk they kind of sound like they dont know what they're talking about really. i think using michael jackson as an example of someone who just kept on going, as though he had a perfect career and an untarnished reputation, is a bit silly. like - he was great, but talking about him like he was still at the top of his game just before he died is kind of naive.

i semi agree with the point he was making though. its better to get out with dignity and respect, and let everyone think you're awesome forever rather than circle the credibility drain for years until no one likes you anymore.

i semi agree with the point he was making though. its better to get out with dignity and respect, and let everyone think you're awesome forever rather than circle the credibility drain for years until no one likes you anymore.

I'm surprised they didn't quote Kurt Cobain as the best example for how that's an amazing plan. :rolleyes:

Really? Since music is obviously the guys' passion, I doubt they'll want to get out just to keep their fame. And considering they barely entered their 30's, they have many years left before anyone should be saying they should get out now. U2, eh. They've been around for decades. The Drums can say whatever about that. Muse? Wait a few more years for talk with them.

I'm really in rant mode just because of them basically bashing originality. I pray for their sake they were not completey sober when they made these comments :LOL:

Archived