Battle of the Bands - Cavern Club, Exeter, 1995

honey_sucks

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi guys

I can remember BOTB very well from cavern club,my band SOCIAL TABOO actualy won the final and i think Muse where thro to final but Dom broke his arm from i think a skateboard accident,i also was out of action for final due to silly accident to my arm,and i can remember talking to Dom about this,

They def would have won if they played

The final was on march 13th 1995.

I still have lots of newspaper cutting about this.

Hi guys

I can remember BOTB very well from cavern club,my band SOCIAL TABOO actualy won the final and i think Muse where thro to final but Dom broke his arm from i think a skateboard accident,i also was out of action for final due to silly accident to my arm,and i can remember talking to Dom about this,

They def would have won if they played

The final was on march 13th 1995.

I still have lots of newspaper cutting about this.

That is so awesome. You can always say you kicked Muses ass. :chuckle:

Could you post the newspaper clippings?

• 3 weeks later...

Oddly the marker on the link posted by Tene is in a builders yard - Broadmeadow is at the top of the road

If you look at the map there is a block of grey roofed buildings at the top of the lane, the next building up is Broadmeadow Leisure Centre - where they played their third (I think ) gig. Behind the leisure centre on the other side of a green with "A" shaped paths is Kingsway Meadow Centre where they played their first gig (according to the muse.mu website gig database) http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=TQ14+9AE&ie=UTF8&ll=50.546599,-3.51511&spn=0.002362,0.005&t=h&z=18

Those of you who attended the Teignmouth gigs may have parked at Broadmeadow - and if you had a wander round town they played at The Jolly Sailor in Northumberland place in '94 or 95

• 9 months later...

Time to resurrect this post again!

1995 = BOTB at the Cavern, Exeter.

In their first heat, Muse win. My partner's band, Demon Groove Lizards, came 2nd. There was a bit of a mix up with the prizes. DGL thought the beer was 2nd prize and the music gear was 1st prize. It was actually the other way round, but it was too late by then cos DGL had quaffed the lot. Anyway, Muse were too young to drink (legally);)

There was already talk of them being the next big thing.

1999 = Muse last gig at the Cavern. A very strange affair. Reports of NME, A&R attendance (prob true). Loads of hangers-on (of the "I knew them at the start", "they see me as their mentor" variety), barrier in front of stage, video recording equpment set up, Muse taking forever to actually appear. By the time they played, I was too pissed & fed up of listening to boors, that I thought they were "ok". How I wish I could go back & listen to them with hindsight!

In their first heat, Muse win. My partner's band, Demon Groove Lizards, came 2nd. There was a bit of a mix up with the prizes. DGL thought the beer was 2nd prize and the music gear was 1st prize. It was actually the other way round, but it was too late by then cos DGL had quaffed the lot. Anyway, Muse were too young to drink (legally);)

This is precious. :happy:

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

1999 = Muse last gig at the Cavern. A very strange affair. Reports of NME, A&R attendance (prob true). Loads of hangers-on (of the "I knew them at the start", "they see me as their mentor" variety), barrier in front of stage, video recording equpment set up, Muse taking forever to actually appear. By the time they played, I was too pissed & fed up of listening to boors, that I thought they were "ok". How I wish I could go back & listen to them with hindsight!

Got the date for the 1st heat of ABC Battle of the Bands at Exeter Cavern. It was 09/01/1995. (ABC was a local music shop). Don't know how to add it to MuseWiki tho, so if anybody else could do the honours....?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived