Has anyone ever seen photographic proof that he has more than one Glitterati? OTTOMH, of all the guitar-stand pics I've seen there's only been the one on display... not that that precludes a secret stash of backups in another gear trunk somewhere.

Ideally, he'd have three of them: one to smash when a situation calls for it, one to handle a bit roughly which is SOP (with smashing optional), and a true backup. If he has only the one backup, that'd cramp his style for the duration of the repair/shipping cycle... and I don't think Bellz likes to be inhibited onstage in any way! :)

We were only joking about the multiple Glitteratis.

Must we disclaim everything?

I'm sure it'll get fixed. Didn't it break a few months ago as well?

And while I don't think it's his prettiest guitar the Glitterati is just... iconic to me, now. It's what jumps into my mind when I think of Bellamy's guitars.

Exactly my train of thought, in regards to the guitar as an icon. In the moment after I saw the video I posted a comment to Matt's Myspace that read:

"I'm sure five million people have asked or are going to ask you this, but...

Why in the HELL did you smash that guitar???

It's stupid, but it kind of makes me want to cry (but I won't). That thing was fucking iconic to Muse fans.

Another question - can/will it be fixed?"

He'll probably just ignore it, but whatever. I had a major "WTF?" moment when I saw him smash it. I was very :eek:.

• 2 months later...

Relax guise. Whenever you see the Glitterati being trashed, and the neck/headstock breaks, it's honestly no biggie.

Matt's guitars - including the Glitterati - all have a bolt-on neck. This means that, instead of the neck being glued to the body like on acoustic guitars and some electrics (a glued in neck is called a set neck), it attaches via four large screws, with a metal plate to spread tension between them. So, basically, the neck attaches with four screws.

I read that Hugh Manson and Matt agreed on this method of neck attachment because, in the event of neck snappage/headstock breakage, the neck would be easy to replace. If anything went wrong with the neck on a set-neck guitar - i.e. an acoustic, or a Gibson/other set-neck electric - you'd be fucked.

But if you go for the bolt-on neck, then if anything goes wrong, you just slap a new neck on there. It's as easy as that. So, yes, the Glitterati has been through a few knocks, so I'd say it's very likely that it's been through a fair few necks in its time.

Matt breaks the neck/headstock, Glitterati goes back to Exeter, Manson's build a new neck, bolt it on, send the Glitterati back out. Probably. Either that, or they just build a new neck then send it out for Matt's tech to install.

So, as long as the body stays together, the Glitterati is safe :)

Relax guise. Whenever you see the Glitterati being trashed, and the neck/headstock breaks, it's honestly no biggie.

Matt's guitars - including the Glitterati - all have a bolt-on neck. This means that, instead of the neck being glued to the body like on acoustic guitars and some electrics (a glued in neck is called a set neck), it attaches via four large screws, with a metal plate to spread tension between them. So, basically, the neck attaches with four screws.

I read that Hugh Manson and Matt agreed on this method of neck attachment because, in the event of neck snappage/headstock breakage, the neck would be easy to replace. If anything went wrong with the neck on a set-neck guitar - i.e. an acoustic, or a Gibson/other set-neck electric - you'd be fucked.

But if you go for the bolt-on neck, then if anything goes wrong, you just slap a new neck on there. It's as easy as that. So, yes, the Glitterati has been through a few knocks, so I'd say it's very likely that it's been through a fair few necks in its time.

Matt breaks the neck/headstock, Glitterati goes back to Exeter, Manson's build a new neck, bolt it on, send the Glitterati back out. Probably. Either that, or they just build a new neck then send it out for Matt's tech to install.

So, as long as the body stays together, the Glitterati is safe :)

Yeah, from what I've heard he's got a few necks with him on tour so he can just replace them :LOL:

Yeah, from what I've heard he's got a few necks with him on tour so he can just replace them :LOL:

I thought that as another possibility too... having backup necks that can just be bolted on in a moment's notice. I mean, the Glitterati is a high-profile guitar. People expect to see it. And a new neck would take about a month to complete, due to the curing time of the lacquer finish, so building a whole new neck every time would be out of the question... good thinking.

Archived