Not much can go wrong, very interesting take on the optical tremolo, definitely a home project idea for fun. If you did use it live, imagine what would happen with stage lights. :p

Personally I wouldn't want a motor running anywhere near my signal chain but it's a much more foolproof method than an LFO to control the LED and easy to implement varying on/off stages.

If you wanted full pedlol cred, here is an extremely simple tremolo pedal. There are a few drawbacks of it, such as the possibility of hearing the 555 chip clock tick and that it's pretty passive in nature so there will be a slight volume (and/or treble) drop.

tiny%20trem.gif

And if that is too straightforward, here's the depth mod for it.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7464107/tinytrem2.gif

it's not too straightforward. I failed at building a fuzz face :facepalm: I'll give it a try anyway, but I liked the spinny wobbly volume circle thing on the first one.

Also, Niel, does this resemble any popular pedals from the 70's?

http://analogguru.an.ohost.de/193/schematics/Carlsbro_Suzz.gif

Bought one of those and supposedly it's based on the mxr distortion plus, but the demo I heard doesn't really sound like it at all. Have both to compare at least.

well.... considering it doesn't have clipping diodes like a D+, it's probably closer to the microamp, although the component values differ greatly. Without hearing them side-by-side, I'd imagine it's like a MA but with more gain and a more old-school filter to it. My guess is, it'll sound something like a microamp/fuzz face.

• 3 weeks later...

So...here's a very overpriced and apparently sought after fuzz face type pedal (I think)

IMG_2629.jpg

Any guesses what the transistors could be? He's intentionally scraped off the markings it seems :erm: It does sound a bit different from any other FF I've tried, but then the circuit doesn't look identical. There's also a small electrolytic (can't see what value) on the middle lug and ground lug of the fuzz control.

I can also make a sound clip if that will tell anything

• 3 months later...
Jaicen, Niel, 3PDT, any thoughts on this one? Guessing it's a modded tube screamer of some sort... but I wouldn't know

IMG_2914.jpg~original

As above, asymmetric diodes are one of the commonest TS mods, closely followed by the mid boost mod.

Edit: Also, DS-1 is non asymmetric too and has diode biased opamp, which this doesnt appear to have.

TS is symmetric, this looks more like a Boss SD-1. (basically a TS with asymmetric clipping)

The dual gain pots are looking weird.

yeah i didn't really understand those. the 2nd one adds more gain than the 1st one.

also, apparently it's meant to be run on 18v. not sure how much of a difference it makes though. it's a good sounding pedal anyway

yeah i didn't really understand those. the 2nd one adds more gain than the 1st one.

also, apparently it's meant to be run on 18v. not sure how much of a difference it makes though. it's a good sounding pedal anyway

You wont get more headroom with 18V in this case (the diodes are already limiting that) but i heard opamps which sounded better with higher than 9V supplies. (in headphone amps) If it uses a 4558 then it probably wont make a difference. The two 500k Drive pots should have been merged into a single 1M pot just like on any other TS808/9/OD1/SD1 clone.

What I can find on it:

Noise gate mod

; with this mod the Big Muff will be quiet when you don't play or can sound really low-fi.

Add a 100k trimpot (wired as a variable resistor) parrallel to the resistor before Q3 from signal to ground (R13). Add a switch so you can also undo the mod. Turn on the pedal and tweak the trimpot to taste. When combined with germanium diodes in the Q3 feedback loop, an octave up can be achived quite easy

Big Muff Mods

• 2 weeks later...

Mainly for Jaicen, but maybe someone else is familiar with this. Pear might know as he seems like the type to blow stuff up against its will (much like myself)

I have this newer Fender amp I'm working on, and there is a lot of buzzing coming from what I think are the op amps in the power supply section of the amp. It seems to be affected when the amp switches channels, but I have no idea why.

So basically... does this mean they're not rated properly and are about to exploding? This amp was known to have many design flaws, although I haven't heard of anything like this. It's mainly the noisy reverb circuit (which is actually unbearable in this particular amp) and channel switching.

I'm planning on doing some upgrades to certain parts of the amp anyway (mainly the relays for the above reason) but have no idea about these.

super sonic 22 head. Fairly new amp.

As for the sound, it's almost exactly like the sound of a vibrating power transformer. It seems to be coming from the op amp(s) though (there are two next to each other, so not sure if it's one or both)

Doesn't really seem normal to me anyway, but again, I'm not too familiar with this area of amp design. I get the idea that something there isn't rated properly or is being strained somehow...just wanting to catch it before something ugly happens.

For what it's worth, it only does this when it's fully on (not on standby) and there's only a tiny bit of hum through the speakers (which is probably related to something else).

Oh and as I said in that last post, there are certain things in this amp that could be improved. The relays for example are really noisy and apparently not ideal, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were other parts in the amp like that as well

I'll try to make a video showing what it is and the exact sound, but I imagine that's it. It doesn't come from the speaker (just was saying there's nothing coming from the speaker besides some slight hum which I think is unrelated)

Definitely not the tubes as I've just replaced those with a full new set, and it didn't affect the op amp problem at all.

There seems to be a little bit of heat coming from that area as well, although I haven't touched anything (I imagine that area of the amp is most dangerous). This is all within ten minutes of being switched on.

• 2 weeks later...
as far as i know the only electrical parts which are physically capable of creating "real" noise are coils and it's variations (inductors' date=' transformers etc.)[/quote']

I need to look again. Maybe I missed something and it's not the op amps, but it definitely didn't seem to be coming from the transformer

also, good news everyone. I'm going to attempt building a fuzz peddle again :facepalm:

This time from a kit, but I'm going to upgrade/change a few parts... to make it more challenging...

With the fuzz face circuit, I'm sure someone said a lower value input cap was a good modification. what's generally the preferred value? i'll probably try a few different ones, but i'm not sure where to start

google came up with a lot of weird stuff related to that amp, i found things like guys gooping the insides of the amp and clamping down the reverb tank and things like that to kill the noise.

try 100nf and see how bad (or good) it will sound, or this might sound overkill but the FF is too simple to not breadboard it and fuck with everything until it become the perfect James90 Signature FF.

http://beavisaudio.com/bboard/projects/bbp_FuzzFace_Rev1_1.pdf

Archived