Base Muffs or Bass Muffs?

a base of muffs...

I meant to say PNP based muffs. I haven been up to my eyes with work lately, so I'm averaging about 3 hours sleep each night. I'm just finished the MXR Micro Amp, and I'm going to make one other pedal before I get onto the muffs. I have always meant to make some bass muffs now that you mention it, but I need a bass first.

I must say, I'm really impressed with the way Royal Blood have their setup with a bass and a guitar going through a bass and a guitar amp. I would play bass, but I'm fairly sure that if i took a full sized bass and turned it on it's end, it would be about the same height as me.

i think there's only a few caps in the difference between the normal and the bass muff. What fuzz(es) if any do you use with your basses?

Bazz Fuss is my only fuzz. Also have the pair of 'mato's and a Boss ODB-3.

I did have a Big Muff Pi. Two actually. I built the Violet Rams Head and owned an American current issue. The first was nicer for guitar after probably putting the "wrong cap or two" in which stopped it from being really muddy but not great with bass for that reason. The latter I couldn't get on with. :(

Cro, how's that Bazz Fuss (recordings)? If I like the sound of it, I might order that to go with the Animato ;)

Bazz Fuss is weirdly cool. I have to use an EQ with it to really b33f it up (well, knock out a really annoying mud frequency and the boom at 50Hz). Basically, it gets square-ish kind sounds, especially if you whack a gain pedal before it. I can always knock one together, they're only a few components. :LOL: No gating so it sustains forever but picks up even the most micro of movements through your pickups.

Neil, I'd say the Russians are more bass friendly. They tend to be favoured by bassists and I was doubtful because I thought it was always considered cool to have a Russian BMP.

a reissue of that? I didn't know they had become so sought after.

I got one for £35, previously owned by Simno.

And Niel. You should build me that thing once you sort it out.

yeah i know. I have to buy some enclosures, and right now, most of my building efforts are going into getting my 3d printer upgrades done, and the todo list for that is pretty damn long.

i think it'll be post-christmas when i get onto the muff effects. I have exams for my int'l licence in january, so any pedlols i'm building at the moment are just going into old enclosures i have lying around. Tempted to do either a 1485 sim pedal, or a selmer zodiac sim. needs vibrato though

Breadboarded up a little preamp today. Based on a mixture of vintage stuff, including the 1484, Selmer Zodiac and a Hohner amp. Tone controls are VERY VERY subtle, so possibly consider swapping out the tonestack for something like the tweed stack if you want more control over yer toanz. Switch is used to go from high gain to low gain. High gain is pretty clippy, low gain is very nice, and sounds tasty with some sort of boost into it.

so here's a schematic for anyone interested. Bias all the trimmers to 4.5V

25z704x.jpg

2eoipfr.jpg

Mmm, I might have to give that one a go. I'm assuming the 120k resistor thrown in was to tame the high level booster?

My current side project. Russian BMP. Named after the Russian space program's second manned human space program considering this is my second attempt at this particular pedal after the enclosure on the last one became a disaster thanks to printer margins being a douchebag.

10380888_10154990823580122_2596514462939499064_n.jpg?oh=efa7f16dcb7dd2eb694ce779a7522e83&oe=55144BAF&__gda__=1425923860_a49da3ea1759722eb35d76a278fe0fbe

Might be a while before the clear decals come.

Mmm, I might have to give that one a go. I'm assuming the 120k resistor thrown in was to tame the high level booster?

yeah, that ends up giving a much more subtle volume increase when you go from lo to hi. you could sub it for anything between 100k and 220k imo.

What I thought. Guess that's just a pick and choose the best fit.

I find it strange that I haven't really worked too much with JFET's. Then again, mostly high gain applications in my case. I still want to try JFET's and MOSFET's for clipping applications similar to a diode clipping. I think that's how the Zendrive works IIRC (2N7000's, have a few laying around).

Also, you mentioned the tone stack was subtle. I like the mods you did to the Bax though scooping out those muddy frequencies with the knobs cranked. Doubly curious now because I think on particular settings it'd create a nice sparkle with the treble cranked and the bass around the middle. Just wish I had room on my table at the moment.

Need to build a prototyping box to so using breadboards are easier.

yeah I've tried out a few fets, but I tend to stick to J201s and 2N7000s. Usually whichever is cheaper from my local suppliers.

Yeah the with the treble and bass, there isn't a whole lot going on in the middle of the two controls. So I have mine set up on my breadboard at full treble and bass. But, by comparison, having them all the way on 0 does a good job of taking out the highs/lows. There is better two-knob tone stacks out there, but in the interest of "authenticity" (and i use that term loosely), i stuck with what's there.

The plan for this is to put it before the amp as a preamp, with more weight on the treble side of things. I've been doing some research into Jonsi from Sigur Ros' setup, and he uses a few treble boosters here and there with the reverb to balance out the muddyness. This seems like a pretty decent way to do so. That and Hozier has a tasty guitar sound that I figure I could get with this when it's pushed a bit more on the treble side. Certainly has the dirt for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bmp4QWzHak

You mean this one, the one I'm building?

http://www.bigmuffpage.com/images/schematics/V7_V8_BMP_Schematic_TallFontRussian_BubbleFontRussian.jpg

The plan for this is to put it before the amp as a preamp, with more weight on the treble side of things. I've been doing some research into Jonsi from Sigur Ros' setup, and he uses a few treble boosters here and there with the reverb to balance out the muddyness. This seems like a pretty decent way to do so. That and Hozier has a tasty guitar sound that I figure I could get with this when it's pushed a bit more on the treble side. Certainly has the dirt for it:

Interesting you mention that's how Jonsi does it. Might mention that to our guitarist. He'll be all over it.

The BMP range is quite inconsistent. I'm building this as it seems to be a favourite for bassists. I built the Violet Rams Head and that was good but more suited for guitarists. I think mine had mods for guitar too but that was a long time ago.

Only exception in my build is the use of 2SC2240's because I'm just using a similar layout to my now infamous clone which has different pinouts.

You mean this one, the one I'm building?

http://www.bigmuffpage.com/images/schematics/V7_V8_BMP_Schematic_TallFontRussian_BubbleFontRussian.jpg

Interesting you mention that's how Jonsi does it. Might mention that to our guitarist. He'll be all over it.

Yeah his current "bird" guitar has a treble boost in it, and he uses 2 rack mount reverbs. He uses a few valve drives too, depending on what guitar part he's playing.

Major setback on my pedal buildings. I forgot that I have to submit a dissertation for my int'l architects licence, so I have to write 10,000 words in 2 weeks. But on the plus side, looks like I'll be emigrating in the near future.

Archived