Need to find that alcohol to clean the board, but for now, why not ATTEMPT to build the other one?

shopping list:

25z2zkg.jpg

that came up to $80 with shipping. probably should've just bought an EHX and modded it :facepalm:

the green LED is to pay tribute to the pedal's creator (not me, Neil).

Next build (if I ever get this one working) will be a micro amp and cannon in one box. With a white and red LED.

I figure I should get some sockets for the transistors as well. Just because.

Yes, get them. Also get some other transistors like 2N5088 or 2N3904.

Do you have a local electronics store that sells resistors, paying $0.15 per unit is pretty steep, but yeah it's the enclosures etc that are the real costs. Don't build pedals as a cheap alternative unless you're ripping off Bootweakerz.

Yes, get them. Also get some other transistors like 2N5088 or 2N3904.

Do you have a local electronics store that sells resistors, paying $0.15 per unit is pretty steep, but yeah it's the enclosures etc that are the real costs. Don't build pedals as a cheap alternative unless you're ripping off Bootweakerz.

I don't think there is, but you're probably right - the last place I got them from had them cheaper. Or maybe that was because they were 5% tolerance rather than 1% :confused:

I'm going to buy some stuff to clean off the board and also a solder pump. I haven't found any sockets yet, but small bear electronics has these strips that you can break up. Might get something like that.

You've been warned

IMG_1951_zpsbb67f61e.jpg

IMG_1954_zps1f47c08f.jpg

I realize one of the transistors isn't even soldered in, but that was from when I was working on it yesterday but quit half way through and took it out of the enclosure/disconnected everything :facepalm:

To be honest, it looked fairly clean at first, but still didn't work!

You'll also notice the transistors are installed the wrong way around, but I've checked and the pinout is different from the ones that the board is made for. I had them installed the other way around when I first assembled it anyway, and it did the same thing.

but yeah, I've checked and there aren't any bridged connections and the traces are all fine... chances are I'm going to strip and clean the entire thing and start over. it's way too messy right now.

The ONLY issue was the white circle coming off, but I got signal through that connection, so I imagine it's fine. It was only connecting two components anyway, which I also tried connecting from the top just in case

Hmm, it's not that clear but are you sure you have all the resistors in the correct place?

Looking at the GGG build document, it looks like a few don't match up with your picture. Did you use a meter to check they were the correct value before soldering?

It's not the GGG one I'm building, it's something Neil came up with which is based on a big muff (although I'm not sure which one it's closest to). He gave me the parts list and component numbers, so it was fairly straight forward

I didn't think to measure them, but I checked the bands on them and everything

Yeah, I was just thinking that's why they were more expensive

Also, is it a coincidence that Neil has disappeared when I build this and realize it doesn't work? :twitchy:

I'm probably going to have to replace most of the components if I strip the board down, but hopefully it'll work this time...I'm going shopping in a little while to buy that alcohol (and the stuff to clean the board if I can find it)

Should I bother measuring the resistors this time as well? I checked the bands before installing them anyway. Unfortunately they came in a huge bag mixed together from BYOC, so it took an hour to identify all of them, and I could've made a mistake.

FUUUU--- ended up drilling one of the holes on the second enclosure slightly off center

where's a good place to buy pre-drilled enclosures? preferably that offer something other than plain die cast (polished for example).

the one i screwed up can be used, but i'm too much of a perfectionist

plus i need a massive enclosure for my next project anyway (micro amp and big muff in one pedal)

just need to get a solder pump now and then i can start cleaning the board up. already got the isopropyl alcohol.

• 2 weeks later...
jaymzz, did you get that canon working? sorry i haven't been around much lately, college is a fucking biotch.

Nope :( I actually built the second one (I bought two PCBs) and IT HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM

I'm wondering if some of the components I bought were faulty. I already tried different transistors, so I'm not entirely sure what it could be

have you got the following spare parts:

1x any jack

1x any capacitor

length of cable

yeah, are you talking about an audio probe? because I already tried that on the first one. I found where the sound stopped (I think) but didn't know what to do after that :facepalm: it was somewhere around Q3

ok, So, around Q3, check the following points, in the order given, and we'll figure this out. If at any stage in the order of checking these, you get no signal, then there's no point checking the next one.

1. Check both sides of R10, to see that signal is ok on both sides.

2. Check the Collector point of Q3 (that's where you have C8, C9, C10, R15, R17, and R19 all connecting, it's all the same rail)

3. Check the two sides of both C10 and R19

4. Check the Middle Lug of the TOANZZ pot.

See where you get with those, if it's around Q3, they're usually where the problems are.

• 3 months later...

My fuzz factory won't oscillate anymore but otherwise works perfectly, anyone got any clues what could be causing this? I've checked for loose connections (there are non) and also refluxed all the joints to check it's not a dry joint causing issues but still nothing. I'm clueless and bemused...

I'm thinking some component must have failed somewhere (my money is on a transistor) but I just find it weird that it still works perfectly bar the oscillation.

does it sound any different? how old is the pedal/have you used the stab control a lot?

also, the stab pot controls voltage, so maybe it has something to do with that. any way of measuring that and the pot itself?

My fuzz factory won't oscillate anymore but otherwise works perfectly, anyone got any clues what could be causing this? I've checked for loose connections (there are non) and also refluxed all the joints to check it's not a dry joint causing issues but still nothing. I'm clueless and bemused...

have you checked the battery? if you're using a power supply, try it with a fresh battery. they can be a bit strange for stuff like that.

might be a long shot, but worth ruling it out first.

also how do you have it set up in your rig? i know having it in certain positions in your chain can stop the oscillating.

does it sound any different? how old is the pedal/have you used the stab control a lot?

also, the stab pot controls voltage, so maybe it has something to do with that. any way of measuring that and the pot itself?

I don't think it sounds any different although the pedal is about 5 years old. It's barely been used though. I will measure the pot in a second.

have you checked the battery? if you're using a power supply, try it with a fresh battery. they can be a bit strange for stuff like that.

might be a long shot, but worth ruling it out first.

also how do you have it set up in your rig? i know having it in certain positions in your chain can stop the oscillating.

The battery is fine and it's currently inside a guitar which rules out position.

Thank's for the suggestions guys!

Update: I have just measured all the pots as per James's suggestion. Drive should be 10k and is coming out at about 3.5k. I think we've found the culprit! :)

I'm going to attempt to build another peddle. something more simple this time.

a fuzz face of course.

What tweaks/improvements can I do to the stock circuit? I found the "Hendrix mods" but I don't know how it'll affect the sound exactly

Change the 8.2k resistor to 18k

Change the 470 ohm resistor to 1k

Change the 1k linear potentiometer to 2k

I need to find a nice .01uf cap now. just for looks obviously.

Archived