Substiture

A demo of a song from my next album.

Bet you can't guess which band I was inspired by :rolleyes:

And the vocals are a little bit quiet, I know. Tis only a demo so I don't forget how it's meant to go, but I like feedbackz.

Also, the strings sound like crap because it's only Garageband's synth's, and they suck. But I'll be using Logic for the final thing.

All feedback appreciated.

tip - in pop/rock songs that you're making yourself, compress the living crap out of the vocals, and control their actual level throughout the song with volume automation. theyll be much more upfront.

two subtle layers of compression! don't go nuts with one ;)

makes it just as upfront, but not as obvious that it's been compressed as heavily and less reliant on automation if the singer is good with their dynamics to start with :happy:

two subtle layers of compression! don't go nuts with one ;)

makes it just as upfront, but not as obvious that it's been compressed as heavily and less reliant on automation if the singer is good with their dynamics to start with :happy:

or, now that you mention it.. parallel compression/new york compression techniques work very well on lead vocals...

for anyone who doesnt know about it, its basically having two tracks of the vocal take, one not compressed at normal volume and quiteter one that has been totally smashed by a compressor. you keep the dynamic feel, but also preserve quieter parts that would otherwise get lost.

edit: damn, beaten to it by jon, with a very similar technique :p

or, now that you mention it.. parallel compression/new york compression techniques work very well on lead vocals...

for anyone who doesnt know about it, its basically having two tracks of the vocal take, one not compressed at normal volume and quiteter one that has been totally smashed by a compressor. you keep the dynamic feel, but also preserve quieter parts that would otherwise get lost.

not something i use on vocals too often, but a great thing to do on drums! (sometimes i use overdrive rather than compression)

Haha yeah, you explained it properly though :LOL:

Awesome:happy: I love that song. Vocoder bit sounds dead on to when DIOYY do it live. Why doesnt anyone shout "YEAH!" and why does nobody grunt?! :p

Ta! :D

matt does shout "yeah" at some point, im sure... :LOL:

we all got a bit confused as like the riff repeats itself literally forever! :stunned::LOL: